Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming Headsets

+7
S7 Sticky
S7 Uncle Charles
DeadSockPuppet
S7 mrmiller
S7 DROOPY
S7 Coolhand
deepsouth06
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gaming Headsets Empty Gaming Headsets

Post by deepsouth06 Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Ok so my headsets of about two years are on there last leg. I am currently using some tape to keep the suckers together and on top of that my so was playing with the chat cable and that went out. So with them getting ready to close shop and become useless i am now looking to buy some new ones. With all these choices and some really exceptional headphones for under 200 my it all starts to get really fuzzy with the 7.1 and 5.1 choices. So do you all think its worth dropping paying close to 200 for 7.1 or just stick to the stereo for a good price and some great sound? Also i saw on some youtube video of the tritton detonator hooked up to a astro mixamp, obviously simulating surround sound, do you think this route is worth the money.
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

GamerTag : deepsouth06

Back to top Go down

Gaming Headsets Empty Re: Gaming Headsets

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:30 pm

I feel the surround sound is worth while. I can tell what is behind or in front of me.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth06 Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I am assuming all headsets are stereo by default its the decoders or boxes that come with the headphones that make them surround right? How about mini drivers vs one driver.
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:37 pm

The surround sound is pretty good, better on some games, gets a little crazy on mw when a ton of stuff is go'n on like air support. Personally I don't think it's all that great, not worth $100 extra. I have the turtle beach x41 wireless ones and I had the stereo ones before. Amazon has the turtle beach and Trittion on sale all the time for around 150, if u have the cash go for Astros On a budget go with wireless stereo
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth06 Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Droopy how often are you having to deal with batteries?
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm big on the sound quality, so bigger drivers- heck, you only have 2 ears right? I use the rechargeable batteries in my X41's and can normally make it about 15 hours before needing to switch them out.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:08 pm

deepsouth06 wrote:Droopy how often are you having to deal with batteries?

Pick up a AA/AAA battery charger and either 4 AA or AAA for the headset. I have a set of XP500s and I keep one set of batteries in them and one set as a spare. When the one set goes dead I swap them out and then charge the dead ones while I play. The whole set (batteries and charger) cost me about $50 (I bought 4 AA and 4 AAA to start). The other nice thing is that you can buy more batteries and use them for tv remotes, camera, etc.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Here's the link to the charger that I use:

http://www.energizer.com/charging/rechargeable-battery-charger/Pages/basic-charger.aspx

I happened to buy it because we sell it at work and I get a discount on purchases at work but I've had it for like 3 or 4 years and haven't had any issues with it, nor have I had to buy new batteries.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am

I use the energizer rechargeable battery's and I get 15-18 hours out if them, amazon has the x41 for $120 which is a about what I think they are worth, the x41 are the old version, turtle beach makes newer models that might be better but they are $90 more
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Uncle Charles Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 am

I bought the Triton for xbox...not sure of the specs....just stereo i know that. Cost about 110. I like them
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Uncle Charles
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : Uncle Charles

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth06 Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am

Sounds like the 15-18 hrs is more than enough for one sit of gaming and keep a second pair of batteries would be the way to go. I have been keeping my eye on the two wireless Trittons that dont even have a release date. Not sure how much longer i can keep holding off especially now that my current ones are starting to break on me. Thanks for the input guys.
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am

if you want 5.1 true surround sound

and dont mind being wired
get the tritton AX Pros for 160 at bestbuy that is what i have and the sound is epic

for each ear the Ax Pros has 4 speakers so you get a really surround sound feeling for a good price
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

I really enjoy any wired pair of Turtle Beachs. Good audio quality, and they pick up sounds very well. Moderately comfortable. I've done a few 8+ hour sessions and didn't have to pull them off.

If you can save up a little I would definitely get some astros. Might just be my head/ear shape but I find them extremely comfortable. Their sound quality is on par with Senn HD555's, and I use those for recording music. So definitely good stuff.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 pm

I have steel seires headset with an astro mix amp and I love the sound. The mix amp eats batteries but you can buy a recharge pack for the amp

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth06 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm

was there a big difference with the mix amp. Im also thinking of maybe buying a set and then buying a mix amp as well.
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:40 pm

I love my Astro A30's. The are a fantastic set of headphones. They are super comfortable, have great sound and are very versatile. I can use them with every device I own/use. PC, Xbox, PS3, iPad, iPhone etc... I can take them on vacation and use them at home. They are just all around kick ass.

They just have one 40mm driver per ear but the Astro Mixamp can turn any stereo headset into Dolby 7.1 Simulated Surround Sound. I can hear sounds from all direction, (front, back, left and right) even with just two drivers. It's kinda crazy actually. Some sort of black magic going on in there.

I have the 5.8 Wireless Mixamp with the rechargeable battery pack so I don't have to worry about batteries and the last like a week before needing to recharge. The Astro 5.8 Mixamp will work with any wired headset, turning it instantly into both a 7.1 Surround Sound headset and make them semi-wireless at the same time. (semi-wireless: one wire running from the headset to the wireless mixamp).

My only grip is having to run an additional chat cable to talk via XBL. Strangely, the single wire from the headset is not a problem but adding the second wire from the controller to the mixamp is annoying. A wireless solution would be ideal. I think the Bluetooth attachment like you get on the Turtle Beach XP500's is the best work around I have seen so far. I am hoping the next generation of Astro Mixamps will employ this technology.

Last edited by S7 Interseptor on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes the mixer that came with the steel seires headset was not the best quality and the astro mix amp is good quality and adds a bit to the sound. Sounds better with it than with the little mix puck that came with the steel series head set

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I've never given much credence to the "I only have two ears so stereo is good enough" arguement. In real life I can hear what is above, below, in front, and behind me just as well as what is left or right. It has to do with the direction the waves enter and the 7.1s do a good job of that. I just the same setup as puppet, also using rechargeable AAs. I love being totally wireless. Good luck with your selection - it is an investment toward your enjoyment and can be a tool to improve your play.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm

I haven't used a mixamp but like Coolhand says, the XP500s are great as they are.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am

S7 Coolhand wrote:I've never given much credence to the "I only have two ears so stereo is good enough" arguement. In real life I can hear what is above, below, in front, and behind me just as well as what is left or right. It has to do with the direction the waves enter and the 7.1s do a good job of that. I just the same setup as puppet, also using rechargeable AAs. I love being totally wireless. Good luck with your selection - it is an investment toward your enjoyment and can be a tool to improve your play.

Simulated 7.1 and 7.1 are fairly difficult to distinguish in headsets. I know even in my $50 turtle beachs I can tell exactly what direction every noise is coming from.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am

AtrumX wrote:
S7 Coolhand wrote:I've never given much credence to the "I only have two ears so stereo is good enough" arguement. In real life I can hear what is above, below, in front, and behind me just as well as what is left or right. It has to do with the direction the waves enter and the 7.1s do a good job of that. I just the same setup as puppet, also using rechargeable AAs. I love being totally wireless. Good luck with your selection - it is an investment toward your enjoyment and can be a tool to improve your play.

Simulated 7.1 and 7.1 are fairly difficult to distinguish in headsets. I know even in my $50 turtle beachs I can tell exactly what direction every noise is coming from.

This is true. Also, even though they say it, it is not true 7.1 in a headset. There is no true center or rear channel. That said, I am sure the multi-driver headsets are slightly better for directional sound. But as Atrum stated I can hear sound from all directions with my 7.1 simulated. I can't explain how it works but it works.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth06 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am

This is true about the 4 drivers vs 1 in the headset. I guess my biggest debate now is wireless vs wired. I seem to be leaning towards wireless and have my eyes on the new Trittons if they ever come out, but not sure how much longer i can put up with the waiting for them to get a release date, and with some of you all getting the TB wireless that throws another wrench in my decision. But then comes the debate if I am going to be paying up in the 200 range why not maybe go for the astros, after all the good reviews i hear. Ugggg to many choices.. haha
deepsouth06
deepsouth06
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am

all it is ..is sound delay and the over all volume it choices to delver it in..

and agreed in a headset simulated sound the same if not better then true 7.1
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 am

If you're considering the Astros, take a good look at the XP500s too. They're a really quality headset that's completely wireless.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-xp500.aspx?gclid=CLvHoNrbsa8CFU3UKgodtw7zFw
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:18 am

Good news amazon just informed me that my xp400's shipped yesterday and I should have them today. I think it might be time to retire the x11's and the cord.
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next