Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official S7 Anime Club Mega Thread

+2
S7 COOP
S7 Interseptor
6 posters

:: General :: Anime

Go down

Official S7 Anime Club Mega Thread Empty Official S7 Anime Club Mega Thread

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:33 am

Welcome to the Official S7 Anime Club!

As you may have noticed, we have several anime enthusiast here in S7 and we have had an anime discussion thread going strong for quite some time now.  There have been lots of great suggestion throughout the years and after a recent experience I had a great idea.  Why not have an anime club? The idea is simple...  

What is an Anime Club?

Every month we will feature a different anime to watch and then get together and discuss said anime just like you would in a book club.  What we liked, what we didn't etc...

What will we watch?

Each series featured will be short.  Nice bit-sized anime series ranging from 12 to 26 episodes in length.  Easy to watch without taking up too much of your time so everyone can join in that wants to. (no long series like One Piece or DBZ here).

Separate from the Monthly Feature we will also highlight 3 series currently airing each season.  These will be picked from the current season of anime starting with Fall 2016.

How are the series picked?  

I (S7 Interseptor) will be ultimately in charge for what is featured each month and getting everything organized but I will need lots of help too.  Basically, each month I will sift through all the suggestions and pick a series for all of us to watch.

Can I recommend series to watch?

Yes you can!  And in fact I need you guys to send me all kinds of suggestions.  In order to keep this simple as possible I would like to ask anyone interested to PM me directly with any ideas for series you'd like featured.  Do NOT post them here.  I will be referring to my PM's for all suggestions. Thanks.

What can I recommend?

Monthly Feature - it can be anything you like, generally.  The only guidelines are...
1) the series must be finished (not currently airing episodes) 
2) it can be no longer than ~26 episodes.

Note: We want to try to focus on anime people haven't seen or considered before.

Current Series Highlight - it must be new anime currently airing.  We will be starting with Fall 2016 which starts up in early October.  You can search for Fall 2016 anime season for a complete list of everything coming. 

How do I join?

There is nothing you have to do to join officially.  All you need to do is simply follow the threads each month, watch the featured series and then join us for the discussion.

When does all this start?

It all gets rolling October 1st so keep an eye out for next months featured anime!

------------------------------------

TL;DR - We are starting an Official S7 Anime Club.  Each month we will feature a different series of anime to watch and discuss.  We will also be following 3 different current series each season and discuss those weekly.  Stay tuned for our first Monthly Feature starting Oct 1!

Please feel free to ask me any questions below.

ARCHIVE SECTION

Season Highlights

Season Highlights - Fall 2016

Monthly Archive

October Feature 2016 - Phantom

November Feature 2016 - .Hack//sign
December Feature 2016 - Beck

*edited on 12/2/16.  Added December Feature archive link

Last edited by S7 Interseptor on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 8 times in total
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Official S7 Anime Club Mega Thread Empty Re: Official S7 Anime Club Mega Thread

Post by S7 COOP Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Ok, so i freakin love anime. There are two types of Anime Enthusiasts out there. Dubbed and Subbed. (and the one crazy guy who learns Japanese, but whatever)

I know "true" anime watchers are subbed all day from what i read. I myself hate reading and want to watch the action unfold.

If i propose a dubbed version will it be thrown out almost automatically for the mere fact that it was probably already out for a year subbed?

What's the source for the anime? I don't have crunchyroll -since they are all subbed Smile I know Netflix has some originals, but i myself use dubbedanime.net, do we need to not give options (lets say the seven deadly sins) that only allow people with subscriptions to watch.

**I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be, i just know, being a dubbed watcher, i am in the minority and thus have less options.**
S7 COOP
S7 COOP
Captain
Captain

GamerTag : S7 COOP

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm

S7 COOP wrote:Ok, so i freakin love anime. There are two types of Anime Enthusiasts out there. Dubbed and Subbed. (and the one crazy guy who learns Japanese, but whatever)

I know "true" anime watchers are subbed all day from what i read. I myself hate reading and want to watch the action unfold.

If i propose a dubbed version will it be thrown out almost automatically for the mere fact that it was probably already out for a year subbed?

What's the source for the anime? I don't have crunchyroll -since they are all subbed Smile I know Netflix has some originals, but i myself use dubbedanime.net, do we need to not give options (lets say the seven deadly sins) that only allow people with subscriptions to watch.

**I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be, i just know, being a dubbed watcher, i am in the minority and thus have less options.**

Good questions...

You may recommend any anime as long as it fits the guidelines above (length and finished airing).  Subbed or Dubbed does not matter.  Especially as all dubbed anime is available as subbed for those who prefer subbed.

Also, age does not matter.  I'm not ready to reveal our first Monthly Feature yet, but it originally aired in 2009 so new anime has nothing to do with our Monthly Feature.  We will, however, be watching currently running shows in a separate ongoing effort with our Season Highlights series for those interesting in the newest anime out there.

I will say this.  Dubbed anime is not a requirement for this club.  Some series will naturally have dubber versions available but it is not a prerequisite for choosing the monthly selection.

And as for subscriptions to various services... You are not required to watch these on any given format but the featured anime must be available legally for us to feature and recommend.  All officially featured anime will come with links to watch legally from various sites. (you can of course watch them where ever you want)

I hope that helps answer your questions.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:30 pm

As a side note, netflix and funimation both (at present) usually have both subbed and dubbed available (provided they exist)

Also, the anime specific sites (funimation, crunchyroll, etc.) are free. You just pay to not have ads, see new eps earlier, etc.

Last edited by Atrum on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Also, side, side note... I just checked and you are good to go for at least our first months selection.  It is up on dubbedanime.net
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 COOP Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Perfect! Thanks guys

I can't wait for this, it sounds fun.

I know we have a lot to talk about as the only threads i saw in the quick search i did was Deal of the Day and Random Silliness that have more pages that our Anime Discussion. and it was probably started a lot later than the other two.
S7 COOP
S7 COOP
Captain
Captain

GamerTag : S7 COOP

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 pm

S7 COOP wrote:Perfect! Thanks guys

I can't wait for this, it sounds fun.

I know we have a lot to talk about as the only threads i saw in the quick search i did was Deal of the Day and Random Silliness that have more pages that our Anime Discussion. and it was probably started a lot later than the other two.

Also, hit up the chatbox sometime. Atrum, Kenny and myself are in there mostly all day during work hours. We talk games and anime and can answer any questions you have as well as more details about this club.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm

I do like this idea but I do think a few things would help make sure this process stay smooth as possible.

1) Whoever PMs you should provide multiple links to the show. so Interseptor doesn't have to hunt down all the different sites you found airing the episodes ( legally ).
2) I can see one thread growing to big to really follow after a few months of this. As sub threads isn't a thing wouldn't having a separate section outside General handle this better? I know this opens up more chat forking but I thought I would throw out the idea.
3) Maybe monthly polls with at least a few of the PM suggested anime's so you and the community can get an idea of what everyone is interested in. Nothing better than suggesting an anime, but then completely change your mind do to some other suggestion in the poll.

I look forward to some fun discussions.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:16 pm

S7 Panzer wrote:I do like this idea but I do think a few things would help make sure this process stay smooth as possible.

1) Whoever PMs you should provide multiple links to the show. so Interseptor doesn't have to hunt down all the different sites you found airing the episodes ( legally ).
2) I can see one thread growing to big to really follow after a few months of this. As sub threads isn't a thing wouldn't having a separate section outside General handle this better? I know this opens up more chat forking but I thought I would throw out the idea.
3) Maybe monthly polls with at least a few of the PM suggested anime's so you and the community can get an idea of what everyone is interested in. Nothing better than suggesting an anime, but then completely change your mind do to some other suggestion in the poll.

I look forward to some fun discussions.

Thanks for the ideas Panzer.

1) Don't sweat it. I'll check the five or so legitimate sites for a listing with each recommendation (Hulu, Funi, Netflix, Crunchy, Daisuki and Amazon). If it's not listed on one of those, we will pass on the recommendation so it's not too much work. Still, any help is appreciated.

2) I have been hashing out the details for the last few days and I think I have it covered pretty well. First, this thread will become a Mega Thread and link to all the various threads I start. Other than that, only two threads will be running at any time. A Monthly Feature thread and the Season Highlights thread that will run season long. At the end of each Month and/or Season, those thread will be retired and new ones will take their place. This will keep things on track and easily organized. You can always refer to the Mega Thread for archived threads and the Mega Thread will be constantly updated.

3) Polls are an interesting idea and I'll think about it but I want to try it my way for now to keep it simple to start with. But I look forward to how this ends up evolving over time.

I look forward to having you join us each month!
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:19 pm

*compiles massive list of anime to suggest*
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:25 pm

It's funny, I was just about to bump this post to ask for recommendation. Send em in folks!
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm not sure I even want to attempt a list when I know Atrum will probably have it included.

O I did come up with another possible suggestion. Limit the next months community anime suggestions to a genre. Kind of limits the playing field and allows us to narrow in instead of looking for anything and everything. Might just help with the overall process.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Why limit the suggestions? We're looking for recommendations from people that liked those anime that others may have passed on for whatever reason. Glancing at the discussion post, not many have posted about Slice of Life anime, so using your suggestion would basically leave no reason to have a Slice of Life month.
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : shuntentatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:59 pm

What about anime that have seasons ranging 12-26 episodes, but overall have more than that?
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:02 am

Xpert2010 wrote:What about anime that have seasons ranging 12-26 episodes, but overall have more than that?

I believe the intent is only series that finish in 26(ish) or less episodes.
No dragging people into One Piece with 26 eps lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 am

Atrum wrote:
Xpert2010 wrote:What about anime that have seasons ranging 12-26 episodes, but overall have more than that?

Does One Piece even have seasons? lol. I don't think I've ever seen that show stop. Probably not too difficult considering they spend 5 minutes of the show for the opening theme and telling people that Luffy wants to be the King of the Pirates, and then a 3-5 minute recap of the previous episode.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:22 am

Atrum wrote:

This exactly. The idea is something we can finish in a month and discuss. I want anime that is bite-sized and easy to finish so anyone with a little time can join in and discover something new.

@ Panzer - I am going to try and pick different things from different genres consistently so each month is something different and interesting. I want to cover all of what anime has to offer. The idea is to hopefully introduce people to anime that is good but may have missed for some reason.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 am

* Edited OP - Now officially the Mega Thread - added Monthly Archive and Series Highlights sections to the OP.  

You can now use the Mega Thread to keep track of all the ongoing threads in one easy to find place.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down