Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iPad

+13
S7 Glock
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Bullet
S7 DROOPY
S7 Epic
S7 wonky
S7 Smack
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 OC
S7 Jwriter
Atrum
S7 Zero
S7 Interseptor
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

iPad - Page 2 Empty Re: iPad

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am

Played with one over the weekend. Very slick. My only real grip is that it is a little heavy for a hand held device. Not sure how bad it would actually be without owning one and using it for a few weeks. My guess is that it's manageable.

I really want to get one but I'm not sure if/when I would get one. I know that if I wait a year I can get one that will be better, with more features and cost less.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I hear you Interseptor. I thought is was a bit heavy as well. I also found it a bit strange that in Pages, you could only access the main formatting bar from the vertical position, even though you can type in either position. Not a deal breaker just strange. Still, most of the iPad apps looked great.

If I don't get one for my b-day this year, I will def get one next year. Although I'm not sure I agree with y'all on the lower price. The iPhone initially had a major drop because it was too over-priced, but after that the price remained steady, the same with the iPods.

What I think Apple will do, is give us more bang for those bucks--Front facing camera for video conferencing (avail in iPhone 4.0), the ability to use an iPhoto style app, etc. They already have an artist app avail that looks kinda cool:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook-pro/id364253478?mt=8#

So, the possibilities are there, apple just needs to push that envelop a little more.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Jwriter

http://www.lovethatphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

S7 Jwriter wrote:Although I'm not sure I agree with y'all on the lower price. The iPhone initially had a major drop because it was too over-priced

iPad - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes ORLY? and $500 for this isn't?
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 pm

How does the touch screen on the ipad work? I'm just curious because if Autodesk made the paint program it's probably pretty impressive. The UI looked great anyway. If it's heat sensitive then that takes away from the painting potential and if it's pressure based then I'd be curious what the sensitivity levels are.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Not sure how exactly it works. It is by far the best multi-touch screen I have ever seen. Incredibly responsive and very fast but it is strange. For instance, your fingernail won't register but the lightest finger touch will. I don't think it's heat because I have a soft squishy stylus thing that works.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Update: According to Wikipedia, here is the answer...

Projected
capacitance

Projected Capacitive Touch (PCT) technology is a capacitive technology which permits more accurate and flexible operation, by etching the conductive layer. An XY array is formed either by etching a single layer to form a grid pattern of electrodes,
or by etching two separate, perpendicular layers of conductive material with parallel lines or tracks to form the grid (comparable to the pixel grid found in many LCD displays). Applying voltage to the array creates a grid of capacitors. Bringing a finger or conductive stylus close to the surface of the sensor changes the local electrostatic field. The capacitance change at every individual point on the grid can be measured to accurately determine the touch location.[5] The use of a grid permits a higher resolution than resistive technologyand also allows multi-touch operation. The greater resolution of PCT allows operation without direct contact, such that the conducting layers can be coated with further protective insulating layers, and operate even under screen protectors, or behind weather and vandal-proof glass. However, conductive smudges and the like can seriously interfere
with the resolution, making multiple touches necessary to get the desired functionality. Such conductive smudges come mostly from sticky or sweaty finger tips, especially in high humidity environments. Collected dust, which adheres to the screen due to the moisture from fingertips, is a serious drawback for the long-life operation of PCT.

PCT is used in a wide range of applications including point of sale systems, smartphones, and public information kiosks. Visual Planet's ViP Interactive Foil is an example of a kiosk PCT product,where a gloved hand can register a touch on a sensor surface through a glass window.[6] Examples of consumer devices using projected capacitive touchscreens include LG's LG KE850, Apple
Inc.
's iPhone and iPod Touch, HTC's HD2, G1, and HTC Hero, Motorola's Droid, Palm Inc.'s Palm Pre and Palm Pixi and more recently the LG KM900 Arena, Microsoft's Zune HD, Sony Walkman X series, Sony Ericsson's Aino and now Vidalco's Edge, D1 and Jewel, the Nokia X6 phone and Google's Nexus One.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

AtrumX wrote:How does the touch screen on the ipad work? I'm just curious because if Autodesk made the paint program it's probably pretty impressive. The UI looked great anyway. If it's heat sensitive then that takes away from the painting potential and if it's pressure based then I'd be curious what the sensitivity levels are.

Zak's right, it works on pressure sensitivity--at least based on the specs...I think I remember reading something about that. Check out the specs in that link.

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:ORLY? and $500 for this isn't?

I think the price issue will depend on what you can do with it.
If you can do solid photo and video editing, as well as executive-style
productivity (Office suite--iWork, Quick Office and Documents-to-Go.),
then imho yes, it's worth it. For half the price of an iBook a student
or office exec can be almost as productive.

Now, $850 is over-priced and hard to argue to the contrary. If $500 was the high price-point, and say $200 was the low then I'd say that would be a preferable range. Of course, the current price points give apple to "flexibility" to give you more (video conferencing, MS Office, etc.) and keep the price the same. This is a classic Apple move.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm

I watched quite a few vids of people painting on the iPad, looks fun for messing around with but not really suitable for pro level stuff. What I did find that was much more impressive was the Modbook. If I didn't already have a laptop I'd probably pick up one of those next. They're basically just a macbook put into a iPad like case without losing any functionality. And they threw in a Wacom like pen sensor.
http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

PS: I am probably way out of the loop on the modbook since I don't bother browsing for new tech outside of Wacom.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Uncle Charles Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 am

iPad - Page 2 Old_school_electronics_record_player_boom_box_mousepad-p144350074717072223trak_400
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Uncle Charles
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : Uncle Charles

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 am

Touch screen in action...

S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm

S7 Jwriter wrote:
Yeah, that's been out for a minute. I thought about getting one about a year or so ago, but figured I'd wait after the Apple tablet rumor-mill started. I have to say, even thought he iPad looks cool, this is what Apple's tablet should have been like...at least for pro type work.

Agreed, I'd love to see an iPad Pro or something along those lines.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:27 pm

AtrumX wrote:
S7 Jwriter wrote:
Yeah, that's been out for a minute. I thought about getting one about a year or so ago, but figured I'd wait after the Apple tablet rumor-mill started. I have to say, even thought he iPad looks cool, this is what Apple's tablet should have been like...at least for pro type work.

Agreed, I'd love to see an iPad Pro or something along those lines.

Well there is this until then...

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I wonder how much that thing weighs? If a 1.5lbs iPad seemed a little heavy, that thing would be a brick. For a laptop the weight is fine but I imagine that for a tablet it would be too much.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:I wonder how much that thing weighs? If a 1.5lbs iPad seemed a little heavy, that thing would be a brick. For a laptop the weight is fine but I imagine that for a tablet it would be too much.

Well the regular modbook is a brick...5.3 pounds...however the pro version is thinner and might be more streamlined since its based off a newer version of the Macbook pros. At most it might drop to 3lbs. Still heavy for a tablet.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm

That would be better at about 3lbs but not great. I would also have reservations about the interface. Being developed by a 3rd party is a little concerning, especially since the current OS is not built as a touch input OS.

I love the concept but I would rather it come from Apple directly before I bought one. Or at least get a chance to play with it before purchasing.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Lol yeah I had the modbook pro in mind when I said that. And even if it's 7lbs that shouldn't be a problem. If it is start going to a gym lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

Well, after much debate, I have decided to get an iPad. Gonna try to pick one up locally over the weekend although availability is very limited so I may just order one online and have them ship it in. I'll let you guys know when I get it and let you know what I think.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:27 am

S7 Interseptor wrote:Well, after much debate, I have decided to get an iPad. Gonna try to pick one up locally over the weekend although availability is very limited so I may just order one online and have them ship it in. I'll let you guys know when I get it and let you know what I think.

I'm still hoping to get the Wifi + 3G version for an early b-day present. I wanna access things from everywhere..."I want it all, I want it All, and I want it now!"
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am

Well, I actually might be picking up the 32g for $600 even, no tax, from my brother's co-worker. Score! And I decided I don't want/need the 3G. I am pretty sure that it will be a non issue and if it becomes one, I can always get a mifi device (My-Fi). You can connect up to 5 devices and your not tied to ATT service if you don't want to be.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 am

What's the best mifi device toget?
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Don't know. Depends on the carrier you want to use. I think they are all pretty much the same device just with different carrier signals. The only down side is a continued monthly service agreement.

The one nice thing about the iPad is that you can start and stop the service anytime you want. No contract, cancel any time.

The nice thing about the Mifi is that you can connect multiple devices off of one monthly fee. i.e Connect 2 iPad's, 2 laptops and a DS for 1 monthly fee. Perfect for family road trips or multiple Wi-fi devices in the feild. (like connecting your macbook and iPad while your out on a shoot)

So it really depends on your needs as to whether or not it would work for you. But you can save $130 on the iPad by getting the Wi-fi only model and the Mifi devices are often FREE with service contract.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info...I'll have to weigh the costs of the extra price for the 3G model and that monthly fee compared to a monthly contract with another carrier.

**Edit** In my area, it's looking like that AT&T offer on the wifi+3G model of the iPad is the best deal. Verizon is 39.99 and Sprint is 59.99! Over time, the money I would save on the non-3G model will be eaten up my the extra expense, not to mention I don;t need a long-term contract w/AT&T for the iPad.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:34 pm

The 32gb 3G model is generally considered the best option.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next