Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order 1886 First Thoughts

+6
S7 Panzer
S7 Sticky
S7 DROOPY
Atrum
Evol Recovery
DeadSockPuppet
10 posters

Go down

The Order 1886 First Thoughts Empty The Order 1886 First Thoughts

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:16 pm

So, I've played about 45 min, getting through the first chapter, and here's my initial thoughts.  

I don't think anyone else will pick this up, but is you do, this is a little spoiler.  First, the prologue scene they chose is getting a little old.  I don't know how many times I can play a game that has you start off locked up remembering be game as the user plays it.  

Visuals:
The game is very beautiful.  The character models are have great detail and their clothing and equipment move fluidly with the movements of the characters.

Late 19th century London looks really good.  There's tons of detail put into the buildings, interior and exterior, and the views you can get from rooftops are breathtaking at times.  

Environment:
I agree with most of the reviews in that the game plays a lot like Gears I that it's very much cover based.  Your characters can "snap" to cover, but it's not as smooth as in Gears.  

My biggest concern is how the characters interact with the environment.  You can occasionally pick up items and inspect them (haven't really found a reason/use for this) but most things seem "cemented" to the ground or walls.  Some items can be pushed or moved by the characters, but when they are the game plays like you're on the moon because the items fly off in random directions.  

Combat:
Again, like Gears, the combat is cover based, third-person.  The weapons are nothing special yet (although there is a Destiny style fusion gun) with a mix of handguns and a repeating/machine rifle.  

There's also been a smoke grenade to help mask your movements, but the animations and how this works seems like they wanted it to work and just gave up on the execution.  Basically, I've seen better smoke grenades in most FPSs.  

The biggest concern I have with the cover system is how shooting from cover works. They wanted to do something that could have had a lot of potential, but again they dropped the ball.  At times, shooting from cover seems clumsy and the camera angles are weird to actually target your enemies.  

So far the AI hasn't been anything to be concerned with.  When fighting multiple enemies, they tend to work together, but the hail of bullets they fling at you rarely hit the mark.  The enemies tend to pop up and down like playing Whack-a-Mole, so all you have to do is determine the timing and then pick them off one by one.  

The only "challenge" I've faced to combat have been the enemies that have a button puzzle to beat them.  While these made sense and added to God of War, they are poorly implemented here and and don't seem to flow with the combat.  

Overall:
I think this is a visually stunning game that has tons of potential - you're in London before the turn of the century hunting lycans while being outfitted by Tesla.  However, there are a lot of issues that I've experienced that take away from all of that potential. 

With less than an hour in and one chapter down, it appears that the game will be about [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]8-10hrs[/url] of gameplay (as most reviews suggest) to complete the 10 or so playable chapters.  Since there's no difficulty step up (ex: TLoU Remastered) and the game lacks co-op or MP, I don't see the potential for any real replay value, aside from trophy hunting and gathering all of the collectibles.  

I plan on finishing the game to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I feel it will be traded towards Project CARS.  Had the game come out 15 months ago as a launch title like it was supposed to, I think it might have gotten better reviews because it truly shows off the visual capabilities of the PS4.  Coming out at the time it did it just comes across as an unfinished, unpolished project. 

I think The Order is best summed up like this: It's like a supermodel, put it in a corner to look at and it's very pretty but when it opens its mouth and starts to interact with you, it shows that it lacks true substance.  
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

The Order 1886 First Thoughts Empty Re: The Order 1886 First Thoughts

Post by Evol Recovery Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:34 pm

I watched someone stream it on twitch friday morning and I watched 3 chapters and 2 of those chapters were one long cut scene. That's it. No combat what so ever. Like what the f#ck?

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : PSN.....Evolrevel

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Evol Recovery wrote:I watched someone stream it on twitch friday morning and I watched 3 chapters and 2 of those chapters were one long cut scene.  That's it. No combat what so ever. Like what the f#ck?
One site says there's like 10 chapters and another says there's like 16 with 4 or so being cutscenes.  Not too impressed with that idea.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Definitely sounds like something I'd abandon some super cool dudes over  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I had to. lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:41 am

AtrumX wrote:Definitely sounds like something I'd abandon some super cool dudes over  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I had to. lol
Probably should have gone XB1 so I could still be playing Ryse and Titanfall with you guys.  Very Happy
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:17 pm

It looks like The order is the ps4's ryse. Titan fall was badass for about a month, just like destiny.
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Recovery Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:10 pm

I'm pretty sure Destiny is still a thing

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 pm

i watched a stream today and man am i happy i did not get this i was shocked to see black bars on the screen and a short game ontop of being 900p at 30fps

i had high hope for this one as the game does looks nice just not at a 60 buck price tag ill pick it up when its mybe 20 bucks or if redbox has it rent it for a day
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Evol Recovery wrote:I'm pretty sure Destiny is still a thing
only if you don't have anything else to play imo or if its the only multiplayer game that you own that your friends have also. Anyway destiny died for me after about a month And imo
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:56 pm

AtrumX wrote:Definitely sounds like something I'd abandon some super cool dudes over  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I had to. lol

Rolling Eyes
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Evol Recovery wrote:I'm pretty sure Destiny is still a thing
^This

@Droopy - I was thinking the same thing about this being PS4's Ryse, just that it came out over a year late.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:44 pm

To be fair, both consoles have been pretty lackluster with their exclusives. I really dig my Xbox One but as far as gaming goes this generation has been a letdown so far. It's 2015 and it's still a struggle to get to 1080p/60fps. That's just inexcusable IMO. Both machines came out too early...or both companies underestimated consumers wants regarding gaming. Ok, rant over. I think it sucks that games like this are being made.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 pm

I don't really mind the 1080p/60fps thing. I mean, I play LoL the most by far - that's definitely a game that could have been run on the 360, probably even the original xbox. I think the bar is just set so high with the supermassive budgets every game gets that if a game doesn't blow us away we tend to go 'meh, not bad'
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Recovery Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:04 am

I agree atrum. The big aaa devs have been so worried about getting games in the player hands that they ignore what made last Gen one of the best consoles to date. It isn't graphics it's gameplay. Destiny may not have been perfect but the game had many, many years of development and multiple betas. Regardless of how you felt about the game, it worked. Ready at dawn made an awesome looking engine but when it came to putting a game on it, they seemed to rush and not take another 6 months to a year to make a great game. From what I have read the games story even drops off after 3 hours. If they are going to spend millions and millions to make a game, make a game, take the time to test, and delay it if necessary. Even if The Order 1887 is an amazing game I probably won't take notice. Just like AC1, AC2 is amazing but it took me years after the game came out for me to even give it a try.

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 am

I'll try to put up some more feedback once I get a chance to get back to it.  I got some gear my Warlock needs to hit 32 so I'm grinding for shards to get it leveled for HM on CE.  Assuming I don't get the pieces my alt needs for lvl 32, I'll probably be back to this after this week's raid run.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 am

Definitely glad I didn't preorder this.  Thanks for the review.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Uncle Charles Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 am

Yeah..me too. A little disappointing for sure.
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Uncle Charles
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : Uncle Charles

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Evol Recovery wrote: It isn't graphics it's gameplay.
I'm going to check back and see what you say after Ubisoft starts using the snowdrop engine. With this one, you'll get both!

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-snowdrop-next-gen-engine/
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down