Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars

+2
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 Vision67
6 posters

Go down

So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars Empty So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars

Post by S7 Vision67 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm

As I'm sure most of you have heard, last night at 10:32 PDT NASA landed the newest mars rover Curiosity on Mars in a low basin named Gale Crater.

Reddit.com/r/AskScience has a good list of FAQs and the comments cover a lot of things.

This is exciting on multiple levels. The most obvious and easy to wave your arms about and say "HEY WASN'T THIS COOL!?" is that MSL weighs a ton (literally), and achieved the equivalent of landing a hole in one from 154 million miles away using a putter instead of a driving club. Not to mention the insane sky crane maneuver used to safely land this big hunk of science.

I work at JPL. I don't work on this particular project, but every employee knows a good deal about it as it's been super hyped up on lab.
So if you have any immediate questions and you don't want to go looking through the thread linked above, or you want an insight into what's been going on at JPL in the past week, go ahead and leave a question here and I'll answer.

Picture I took last thursday of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Odyssey, and Spirit and Opportunity: https://imgur.com/SzIVp
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars Empty Re: So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 pm

Badd Ass is all I gotta say.
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars Empty Re: So we just landed a mini cooper sized mobile laboratory on Mars

Post by Atrum Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 am

I need to read up on it, I assume that faqs goes over the mission objectives, making of, etc?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:53 am

AtrumX wrote:I need to read up on it, I assume that faqs goes over the mission objectives, making of, etc?

Yeah, the FAQs on that page I linked go over a pretty good chunk of common questions
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 am

i watch it live on my 360 so great
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 am

yeah, I'm a geek for this kind of stuff and science in general so it was pretty sweet for me to watch.

btw, cool fact:
I worked for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. for a few years so I felt like a member of that mission eventhough I worked there as a computer scientist, not one of the hands on engineers. Still way cool!!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 pm

This is a really cool achievement. Sounds like a pretty cool job there Vision!
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down