Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play

+4
S7 Interseptor
Atrum
S7 Epic
S7 Vision67
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play Empty Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play

Post by S7 Vision67 Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 pm

I was waiting for the thread to go up about this, but since I didn't see it (and this requires a different response than the "D3 Beta Vid" thread Sticky posted) here's the scoop.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2397-Diablo-3-Auction-House-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money!

Diablo 3's Auction House will feature two currencies, the first one will be in-game gold and the 2nd one will be real life money. Yep, you read it right, Diablo 3 will let you buy items with either gold or real life money! It's also worth noting that you will also be able to sell loot for money, and transfer that money outside the game. I guess gold farming just got interesting.

How do I cash out from the currency-based auction house?
As an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. “Cashing out” would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

And the other big news coming out is that similar to the much hated Ubisoft decision to require persistent connection to Battle.net in order to play (Meaning no more offline mode, and LAN only parties.)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185029p1.html

As the Diablo III beta nears, Blizzard announced its anticipated action-role-playing game will require you to be online at all times to play. The characters you can create in Diablo III, up to a limit of 10, will be stored on Blizzard's servers, and therefore require a constant internet connection to access. This applies to all modes of the game, from co-op to player-versus-player to solo play.

According to Rob Pardo, executive producer of Diablo III, this was done mainly to combat the style of hacking present in previous versions of Diablo.

So the question here is, the internet was in an uproar with the Ubisoft DRM requires persistent connection, and essentially stopped buying their products (which, admittedly did increase their legit-to-pirated game sales... by limited the amount of people how care enough to buy their sh1t DRM, but I digress), When Blizzard does the EXACT same thing, is it "Okay" for them to do it?

The kicker is that while Ubisoft just had a sh1t DRM policy which warded off thousands of gamers from buying, Blizzard honestly NEEDS this persistent-connection DRM to ensure that the in-game economy doesn't crash when REAL MONEY is on the line. It makes sense to not even give offline character hacking a chance to exist when realm money is at stake. So is it okay?
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play Empty Re: Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play

Post by S7 Epic Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:56 pm

KHAAAAAAAN!!! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play Empty Re: Diablo 3 Auction House will utilize Real Money. Will Require Persistent Connection to B.Net to play

Post by Atrum Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Kinda lame that some rich kid can have mommy and daddy buy them all the best equip without knowing sh1t about the game.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Lame for sure. Real money auctions FTL. Auctions in general sucks. Get your own stuff the old fashioned way... by actually playing the game. But no, now with real money on the line we are forced to play online all the time. No LAN, no playing on the road while traveling etc... WEAK.

It probably won't effect me because I will play on the 360 if it actually becomes available but I still think the whole thing is weak.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by CorpsMan889 Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Definitely just lost my interest due to the use of real cash. I understand people do it as much in WoW and other hit MMO's with gold buyers and sellers being almost undetectable but at least theres a few more hoops for the buyers and sellers to jump through opposed to letting people bypass finding a currency farmer altogether by letting their actual real life money be legitimate in-game currency. Definitely a bad move imo.
CorpsMan889
CorpsMan889
Corporal
Corporal

GamerTag : CorpsMan889

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:38 pm

I don't know. I've seen similar systems in some browser-based text MMORPGs and it kinda cleaned the system up and worked well.

The rich kids are always gonna end up with the stuff they want, so it makes little difference. If this puts anyone off playing a game that they were previously looking forward to, then I'd have to suggest that they cutting their nose off to spite their face.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:14 pm

I wrote most of an article about why people are getting way too bent out of shape about the hybrid auction house, and why it isn't a bad thing.

But then I realized that there was a major piece of information that blizzard hasn't released yet about how the arena systems will work. So until they do release info about it my argument isn't air tight.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm

i am still going to be all over this game =)
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by CorpsMan889 Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 am

So let me get this straight...anyone can cash out their items for currency and make a real life profit off of it. I guess if I could get over the fact that a rich kid with mommy's credit card could twink out every level my next problem would have to be the fact that people could maybe make some decent money playing D3. I just don't see how this could turn out positive.
CorpsMan889
CorpsMan889
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:13 am

Your problem is that people could make money from playing a game? Care to elaborate as to why?
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by CorpsMan889 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

I just don't like the idea of the man who really worked his butt of in the game to make the in game currency not being priority because of the man with a fat billfold, because as we know cash runs the world and someone selling items isn't going to settle for in game currency as quickly as they would cash. If you pay the same ammount for the game initially/monthly everyone should be on the same regulated page including the chips you play with imo.
CorpsMan889
CorpsMan889
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 pm

This is a very interesting debate/dialogue for me. I understand and agree with both sides of this coin. I haven't yet made up my mind which I agree with more strongly, but I'm leaning towards the Corpsman side on this one.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

i say if you want to make a living off this then all power to you..
TROLLS

@joe you know if they put this in D3 there going to patch wow and do the same thing...

plus its all good im going to PWN you in some PvP
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 pm

But simply posting auctions for real money isn't just "I'm going to sell this and make a fuckton of money and walk away".

You play the item too high, and it isn't going to sell and Blizzard will take a posting fee regardless of whether it sells. If it does sell, Blizzard takes an additional selling fee. Want to cash out the In-Game Cash to REAL cash? They take a cut on that too.

Real world money, regardless of your example of a "man with a fat billfold", is finite. In game gold is UNLIMITED.

I argue that it will be way easier for in game gold paid for auction house items to become inflated on any given day simply because there is always new gold be generated without real consequences to an item not being sold, being sold, or even someone undercutting your item.

Sellers from the GET GO are incentivised to place their auctions with a competitive price because
A) No on will buy your sh1t if it's priced ridiculous
B) Another person who may have the same item will undercut your ridiculous price
C) You will lose money if your auction doesn't sell in the form of a posting fee.

Very few people will be able to make large amounts of real money with this system. To play the auction house well takes real skill and a bit of luck. And I am speaking as someone who has played the auction house in WoW where the money is unlimited in supply. I can only imagine that the Real cash option in D3's auction house will be self regulated by the market itself for the reasons listed above.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

CorpsMan889 wrote:I just don't like the idea of the man who really worked his butt of in the game to make the in game currency not being priority because of the man with a fat billfold, because as we know cash runs the world and someone selling items isn't going to settle for in game currency as quickly as they would cash. If you pay the same ammount for the game initially/monthly everyone should be on the same regulated page including the chips you play with imo.

I don't see it going that way. Let's not forget that you'll be able to sell your crap for actual money too. This money can then be using in the $$$ Auction House.

I don't think we'll know for sure until the game actually comes out, however, I don't think it will be enough of an issue not to buy the game over.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Real money from playing a game? It sounds good to us normal gaming folk but you have to remember that there is a seedy side of things too. What about sweatshops and people dieing from being forced to farm gold in terrible conditions? Sure that sort of thing happens and there is nothing we can really do to stop it but Blizzard is making it completely legitimized. By offering real world money, it's like they are saying, "hey, people are going to do it anyway why shouldn't we make money off of it?" Because it's wrong and you shouldn't support that kind of activity. Make it in-game currency and be done with it. Sleep better and most importantly not encourage that type of behavior. It boils down to greed. They see this huge amount of money being traded from people farming gold and they want a piece of that pie. Too bad it's tainted.

I'll be honest, I just don't like it. It's seems wrong.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:44 pm

I guess if I could get over the fact that a rich kid with mommy's credit card could twink out every level

Let me just quote the parts of my article I have written so far.

Diablo's Real-Cash Marketplace and You: Why immediately telling Blizzard to suck it, is sensational game-journalism doing it's job.

If you're still adamantly against (or *gasp* now for) the real-money marketplace in D3, let's discuss a little about what real impact you can see depending how you approach the game.

Single player
Intrusion of the marketplace is negligible. The items you purchase from the marketplace can be used in singleplayer games, and likewise any items you likely find in singleplayer campaign can be sold on the auction house. However to each individual person the game is still being played on a solo basis, without intrusion from ANYONE else. Remember, you'd actually have to let someone INTO your lobby in order for this to be multiplayer, so someone "buying their way" into the game in single player is a moot point.

At best, the argument against the Real Money AH at this point is that you are now required to have a persistent connection. I can understand why this irks you if you plan on playing in a LAN situation and I feel your pain, but that isn't the argument of this article.

Multiplayer
So now the controversial issue at hand. If one uses Mommy and Daddy's credit card to buy [Epic Purple Weapon], the world ends and the game is ruined forever for you. I argue that this line of thinking is what sensational gaming journalism has steered gamer opinion toward, and is so blindly anti-change that the industry will be hurt rather than saved from the evil marriage of real world cash and in-game equipment.

Let us be clear about something: Diablo 3's hybrid marketplace is NOT the same as the Free-to-play game's models of allowing players to gain a very clear numerical advantage over other players in terms of pure stats. In Navy Field and World of Tanks for example, you can purchase ammunition from within the game with real-world cash purchased credits meaning you can literally shoot money at enemies.

Evaluating the impact the hybrid auction house will have in multiplayer in D3 needs to be done in two separate ways: PvE and PvP.

PvE
Players banded together will hack and slash their way through hordes of hellspawn once again. But how does purchased gear really affect gameplay here? Remember that the new auction house system is HYBRID, meaning any given item can be listed either as a cash purchase, or a gold purchase. A player could find the same helm being sold by two different auctions, one for gold, and another for cash. This gives all players regardless of chosen payment method access to all the same equipment.

And in going against legions of demons, sometimes a little extra equipment could make the difference. PvE is a team effort, and no matter how a player's gear was attained shouldn't matter when hell's minions are trying to smash your face in.

PvP
Player vs player combat is the real crux of the controversy, but no one wants to admit it because they'd rather slam the game as a whole then talk about their true feelings. To this point, we've covered single player and PvE multiplayer, which are affected by the introduction of real-cash auctions either not at all, or in a way which can only be a benefit.

*the rest of the PvP portion I haven't written
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 pm

I'll admit I haven't gone over the article in depth but the big thing for me:
What equipment can you buy with real cash? The only way this would "ruin the game" is if you could buy some of the rares or super-rares from NPC's with cash. The auction house could make it annoying but from what I've seen of the Diablo Community most people would rather sell items for in-game cash so they can buy a different item in game. Sure the concept works with real cash but it's a very small percentage of people that will actually go for real cash. Or that's my hope anyway.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Atrum, the only part of Diablo 3 where real money is valid is buying and selling items via the auction house. No items can be purchased from NPCs for real money. I can't pay $2 and get 100x town portal scrolls or $10 and get a rune of Jordan or something stupid from a town vendor.

Real money is 100% Auction house only.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, so that will only be annoying if it ends up making them worth WAY more in-game money because everyone sells for RL $.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:38 pm

AtrumX wrote:Yeah, so that will only be annoying if it ends up making them worth WAY more in-game money because everyone sells for RL $.

agreed
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't want to be doing Baal runs for 6 months just to get me some Hoto
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Real money from playing a game? It sounds good to us normal gaming folk but you have to remember that there is a seedy side of things too. What about sweatshops and people dieing from being forced to farm gold in terrible conditions? Sure that sort of thing happens and there is nothing we can really do to stop it but Blizzard is making it completely legitimized. By offering real world money, it's like they are saying, "hey, people are going to do it anyway why shouldn't we make money off of it?" Because it's wrong and you shouldn't support that kind of activity. Make it in-game currency and be done with it. Sleep better and most importantly not encourage that type of behavior. It boils down to greed. They see this huge amount of money being traded from people farming gold and they want a piece of that pie. Too bad it's tainted.

I couldn't have written that better. Thanks for saving me the time!

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Real money from playing a game? It sounds good to us normal gaming folk but you have to remember that there is a seedy side of things too. What about sweatshops and people dieing from being forced to farm gold in terrible conditions? Sure that sort of thing happens and there is nothing we can really do to stop it but Blizzard is making it completely legitimized. By offering real world money, it's like they are saying, "hey, people are going to do it anyway why shouldn't we make money off of it?" Because it's wrong and you shouldn't support that kind of activity. Make it in-game currency and be done with it. Sleep better and most importantly not encourage that type of behavior. It boils down to greed. They see this huge amount of money being traded from people farming gold and they want a piece of that pie. Too bad it's tainted.

You say that but let me liken the situation to drugs.

WoW farmers peddle gold, drug dealers peddle drugs. Both our countries have fairly large drug problems. Guess who doesn't. Holland. Why? Because some drugs (not all) are legal and therefore become a legal business. This means everything is far cleaner, nobody is getting stabbed over payments, nobody is getting really dodgy stuff that will likely cause them serious harm.

The same could be said about the gold-farming 'sweat-shops'. They will now have millions of competitors, all under-cutting them. It is more than likely NOT a viable option for them. With so much undercutting, the in-game currency is likely to be worth more than the $$$ in some senses, the auction house may even become moot for everyone but those looking to cash in on some rare loot they want to get rid of or people looking to save themselves some time by straight-out buying the decent items - let us not forget, some people have lives.

I have played games where you can translate $$$ to the #1 spot, I really don't think this will be one of them.

Also, just to clear this up further. At the moment, I have no intention of buying D3, so i'm definitely not a fanboy defending it to the death, nor do I have much love for ActiBlizzion, all my opinions are based on my experiences as a gamer and a games designer.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by CorpsMan889 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I've read your article over and over and I still just don't think it's a very good idea, i just don't think gamers are going to like the idea of such a theoretical situation being put in front of them, that all auctions are going to be presented in in game cash as well as real life money...this isn't what is going to happen and we all know this. We know people are going to incorporate more of the real life money prices and as Atrum said players may have to shuck out outrageous ammounts of time and gold to pay for the Epics needed for whatever the case may be.
As well, I assume you have played or at least examined WoW's AH which is by no means a perfect example for a solid economy which is in it's own right is why I don't believe a game should be trying to run two seperate economys at once. MMORPG's are known to experience just as much market inflation and volatility as Wallstreet with just the use of in game currencies.

On top of that we know that if you play an MMO and you get used to PVE and cap theres always the "VIP" club of dungeons, the more experienced players only, where gear and guts is what matters. The guys you normally play with in those situations are the ones that learned from the repetition of running the lower level dungeons over and over. I don't really think the players would be as satisfied with post-cap activities if its a bunch of half seasoned players who haven't ran the dungeons nearly as much as necessary are just buying the way to the top and are lacking what is really going on. I understand that there are gold buyers and sellers in any game as I said in a post before, but the more hoops there are for them to have to jump through the more people there are to say "screw it" and just run the dungeons the right way instead of buying the gear.

I can definitely understand where they could have thought this was going to be the "DVD" invention of MMO AH's...but right now it seems more like a Laserdisk or a Betamax idea...And this might be because were not clearly aware of the stipulations that will be incorporated in the final version, but are the manhours and headaches worth polishing something that might already have too much stigma or maybe not a chance at all?

Last edited by CorpsMan889 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
CorpsMan889
CorpsMan889
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next