Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Router and ISP Suggestions

5 posters

Go down

Router and ISP Suggestions Empty Router and ISP Suggestions

Post by Pharaoh Amun Ra Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Hey, so my girlfriend and I are moving in together in July and I'm in the hunt for a new wireless router (I’m currently using my roommates). Any suggestions on what router I should get for optimal XBL game play? Cost doesn't matter.

Additionally, I'm debating on which ISP provided to use. My apartment complex currently offers Comcast, which I’ve used for years w/ no complaints. However, I’m getting DirectTV at my new place and I was thinking of bundling my DirectTV w/ one of their partners (AT&T, embarq, etc.). Should I go w/ Comcast separately, or is there another comparable ISP provider I can go with?
Pharaoh Amun Ra
Pharaoh Amun Ra
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : Halo 4 3rd in command
GamerTag : Pharaoh Amun Ra

Back to top Go down

Router and ISP Suggestions Empty Re: Router and ISP Suggestions

Post by S7 Sticky Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm

as far was router go pharaoh. i would go with a linksys G
i had one for 4 year no really big problems

and congrats on the moving in with each other thats a big step.
hope to see you online soon buddy
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Grats on the move-in step. It's a big one!

I agree with Glock - you can't beat a Linksys G router for low cost, easy set-up, and great reliability. Plus if it does ever break just take it back to Wallyworld instead of dealing with the manufacturer. Netgear sux balls - you have to pay a monthly premium for tech support. Linksys has free tech support. The N routers will not increase your speed unless there are no other networks anywhere nearby. To achieve the higher speed it would essentially have to trample any nearby G network, and the FCC has made them implement safeguards to keep it from happening. I had a Netgear N router that never performed above 56k, was a pain in the ass to set-up, had zero tech support, and broke a little after a year.

I would recommend using a cable company like Comcast over DTV and ATT. Cable is a little faster and much more reliable if it is a buried wire. A DTV dish can only download - it requires a phone line to upload. I worked for a DTV call center for a while and had so many complaints and problems, plus it was outrageously expensive. Also, if there is a storm or thick clouds, well, you won't be able to connect. ATT DSL/uverse isn't bad either, but given a choice I would take cable.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Floodsfire Tue May 11, 2010 3:05 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:Grats on the move-in step. It's a big one!

I agree with Glock - you can't beat a Linksys G router for low cost, easy set-up, and great reliability. Plus if it does ever break just take it back to Wallyworld instead of dealing with the manufacturer. Netgear sux balls - you have to pay a monthly premium for tech support. Linksys has free tech support. The N routers will not increase your speed unless there are no other networks anywhere nearby. To achieve the higher speed it would essentially have to trample any nearby G network, and the FCC has made them implement safeguards to keep it from happening. I had a Netgear N router that never performed above 56k, was a pain in the ass to set-up, had zero tech support, and broke a little after a year.

I would recommend using a cable company like Comcast over DTV and ATT. Cable is a little faster and much more reliable if it is a buried wire. A DTV dish can only download - it requires a phone line to upload. I worked for a DTV call center for a while and had so many complaints and problems, plus it was outrageously expensive. Also, if there is a storm or thick clouds, well, you won't be able to connect. ATT DSL/uverse isn't bad either, but given a choice I would take cable.

That was Sticky who posted that BTW, but no problem. I agree the Linksys G is a very good router, it is the one I've been using for 3 years and it hasn't had any major problems. I'm pretty the only problem was a connection issue with my PS3, but that might have been the FailStation's fault.
Floodsfire
Floodsfire

GamerTag : S7 Floodsfire

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue May 11, 2010 4:35 pm

My Apple airport has been faultless. It's pricey but it does more than your average router. It's petty d@mn immense.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down