Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression

+14
S7 Zero
S7 Coolhand
Atrum
S7 Zalacious
S7 Epic
S7 Vision67
S7 OC
S7 Smack
Slate
S7 Interseptor
S7 DROOPY
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Sticky
S7 mrmiller
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Empty My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

My first impressions are… Meh. Just more of the same and not this Halo revolution that the developers want you to think it is.

I’m sure the super Halo fans will love it, but is it really much of an advance from Halo 3, or even Halo 2? (No, and that is why they will love it). The class system is what I was looking forward to, but it is rather weak. So you get to choose your “item”, that is it? No weapons load outs? The game is still about hording the power weapons as always. You spawn with crap guns, that if you have to go head to head with someone else that has a power weapon you are going to loose. If Halo is all about skill (as the Fanboys protest) how is spawning with a weak assault rifle that cannot kill anyone with a full clip going to protect you from some noob beginner with a power weapon? I’m really disappointed that you do not get to customize your character with any weapons. And it doesn’t all have to be rockets and Spartan lasers, but at least have the option to start with plasma rifles, needlers, a sniper or something other than a POS rifle. Let it be at least customizable to your style of play. Heck, I started switching right off the bat from the assault rifle to the pistol. To me the pistol is much better than the default rifle. I unloaded an entire clip of the rifle into an enemy at fairly close range while running behind him, and did not kill him. At the same time I seem to kill most people if I unload a complete pistol clip in them. I’m sorry, but that is weak and broken. The game doesn’t have to be like COD, but a full clip of any normal weapon should kill. Hell, I had 3 head shots in a row with the battle rifle and that only dropped the enemies shield so I could then get a head shot. Again, weak. With all that said, it’s Halo and that is the way it has always been. It’s aggravating at times, but fun when you are the one who controls the power weapons and you can hit the kill streaks and multikills. I just do not see it as a balanced game, relying more on the Tru-Skill ranking to keep the game balanced than on balancing the weapons or allowing people to play to their strengths and play styles. Giving the gadget or ability is a weak and shallow attempt, as it will still mostly come down to what weapons you pick up and hold on the battlefield.

One of the biggest problems I’ve always had with Halo are the play lists, and the way it chooses the game types. This is only the beta, so I’m hoping all the choices have not been revealed, but the way the vote system is seems to be a better way that it was previously. Still, I want to see a ton of choices like the COD games have, and not just a couple that throw you in crappy territories or king of the hill games, 20 times before you get a Team Slayer game if that is what you want to play. If I want to play CTF, I want to play CTF, and not have to filter through an hour of other modes to land one CTF match. Stuff like that has always turned me off of Halo multiplayer. I’ll have the mindset of “Hey, I got 30 minutes to play, I’ll get some [insert game type] games in.” You might just waste your entire time, and not ever get the game mode you wanted to play. Yea, that’s fun and will keep me coming back.

Not that the game itself isn’t fun, it’s just that it’s not better than any of the other installments. All these other games from Rainbow Six, to COD, feel like that have all progressed in the last 5 years, but Halo seems to be too much the same as it was on the original Xbox. One thing is true of Reach, the graphics took a nice upgrade. This is only the demo, and I think it looks much better than before with H3.

Of course I’ll give it more time and update my review after more than 2-3 hours of play. It’s just my initial impression is that it didn’t excite me from the start, and actually under whelmed me not living up to my expectations.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Empty Re: My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression

Post by S7 Sticky Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 am

i love this game

Pros

-the class are a nice add on (jetpack stoker and so on)
-new game modes are fun (love head hunter)
-maps are nice and clean even for just a beta
-party/invt system is epic win
-assassinations are fun to use if you have the time
-new weapons like the DMR are so win
-flaming oddball skull

Cons

-starting with same guns in every class is weak
-server are a little bitchy right now (but i know thats only because they are being hit hard)
-still about power guns (but then again isnt every game about that!!!)
--- like take cod you get to pick your starting gun and people will pick the power ones be it noob tube m16 and so on.. this game who ever gets to it first has it and you dont respawn with it so i think thats more far to every one

over all i was very happy with the beta !!! and cant wait to play the full game the co op has got to be an epic win !!!and i hope we support this game !
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Empty Re: My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 am

I understand your feelings Miller, as well as Sticky's.
I'm torn. I like the improvements a little, but was also looking for a bit more. That said, I had fun-- but at times this doesn't really feel like Halo to me. More like what COD would trying to be Halo, or vice-versa. It's odd, but I've played well over 7,000 games of Halo (the carnage report tells me daily on H3 My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Icon_redface ) so I know the feeling...and this really isn't it. May take some getting used to.

Still getting the game, but initial impression in one word... different
haven't decided it it's a good or bad different yet.

I will add that Miller you should play SWAT on this one. Played that last night...TOTAL WIN!

No stupid shields, just hit and die. No hiding around the corner watching the radar w/ shotty..NO GRENADES..just you, a rifle, your team and abundant head shots My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Icon_clown !
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Tue May 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Totally agree with everything mrmiller said, not being able to pick your loadout weapons is a total fail. Not all wepons sould be available for load out, but some should, assult rifle is worthless. Halo used to be called " combat evolved" not anymore. The new modes I played were cool, but I still had to spend most my running around looking for weapons or camping with the pistol which took me away from the action and was a buzz kill. Used the sprint and malae combo = commando cod style and was the only way to kill anybody with pos assult rifle. I'll play it little more but I'm pretty disapointed so far
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Well, I don't know where all the COD references are coming from but I gotta say, I don't see it. It's not anything like COD in my opinion. Feels a lot like Halo to me. Yes some things have been changed, some things have been added but all in all it is still Halo underneath. Which at the end of the day is good. I mean if I wanted to play COD, I would (and do quite often lol). Variety is the spice of life.

That said, I do wish they had changed a few things. Like Miller said, my #1 request would have been the ability to equip your player with a specific load out. I really hate the struggle for power weapons but I suppose that is what Halo is all about and probably why I don't like Halo very much. Miller hit on my other grip as well... the fact that it takes 7,000,000 bullets to actually kill someone. Of course, once again, that is Halo and not something wrong with Reach but the series in general. It's just not my bag I guess. I also wish their was a kill-cam. I have to wait to respawn anyway, why can't I see how I just got PWND? And in the same vein, an ending kill-cam would be sweet. Sometimes you have an epic last kill of the round and wish everyone could see it. LOL! I guess I do want it to be more like COD. At least in terms of features, not gameplay.

Now that I have gotten my griping out of the way, I must say that this is the best Halo I have every played. I had more fun last night in the beta than ever before in any other Halo game. I love that the pistol from H1 is back! It's bad ass! I also love the Jetpack! and I even like the DMR a lot better than the old BR. I was flying around PWNing kids like Bobba Fett and it was awesome! (May the 4th be with you!) So while this game shares a lot of the shortcomings of the previous titles, the fun factor was greatly increased for me. And that's a good thing. At the end of the day I am not sure I would play this game competitively, but I would definitely hope on once in a while for some fun.

I just hope the story is a good as H1-H3. I loved those games and I am looking forward to some more good times in the Halo universe.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 pm

i think since yall really dont play that much halo i can see were u feel this game has gone bad .. but again you are compare alot of it to COD
with kill cam loads out and so on.
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Tue May 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Dude I think every multiplayer game should have some kind of loadout system. The days of running around looking for the power weapons is dead. I mean come on it would be way better
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Slate Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

I played all 3 and I love the beta so far. Halo has always been about map control and fighting for the power weapons, I would not have it any other way. I love the pistol its awesome and you spawn with it on some play lists, the assault rifle I never used much anyway. I think the load outs are really cool and add another aspect to the game, kind of Shadowrun-ish if anybody played that game.

I don't know maybe its because I'm a halo fan boy or what not, but I think it takes a little more skill to shoot and thanks to the bloom, you have to steady and aim your shots, which is another skill in itself. This game feels "different", but it is still Halo, and it has really good potential for competitive play.

I lanned Halo:CE a lot back in the day so maybe that is why I enjoy this game more than H3, but it does take some time to get used to it. Either way, Miller respect your opinions, and hopefully you give it a rent at least when the final version comes out, so we can pwn some peeps My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Icon_rr
Slate
Slate
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : SLA7E

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Slate wrote:I played all 3 and I love the beta so far. Halo has always been about map control and fighting for the power weapons, I would not have it any other way. I love the pistol its awesome and you spawn with it on some play lists, the assault rifle I never used much anyway. I think the load outs are really cool and add another aspect to the game, kind of Shadowrun-ish if anybody played that game.

I don't know maybe its because I'm a halo fan boy or what not, but I think it takes a little more skill to shoot and thanks to the bloom, you have to steady and aim your shots, which is another skill in itself. This game feels "different", but it is still Halo, and it has really good potential for competitive play.

I lanned Halo:CE a lot back in the day so maybe that is why I enjoy this game more than H3, but it does take some time to get used to it. Either way, Miller respect your opinions, and hopefully you give it a rent at least when the final version comes out, so we can pwn some peeps My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Icon_rr

well said
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I got to go with Miller's, Zak's, and Klowns views, like the game isn't bad at all people just figured there would be more to it than it is. I mean you can't blame anyone for not wanting to shoot a few clips for a kill that's old skool or rush for a gun that you like, or fits your gaming style and instead being reduced to something your not comfortable with cause the other team or team member grabbed it first. Stuff like that kills the experience with that said it's still fun to pwn in public matches let's just hope more gets asdded and tweaked before release.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 05, 2010 12:37 am

again it really just comes down to player skill its a different game with a different style
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 am

I played a few rounds tonight with miller. My view,
they added a few minor things to a hugely played multiplayer game. The graphics are expected and not much more the game play is good and they threw in a few twists with the new classes. As a person who has played all the halo games but is not a huge fan of the game play it still lacks that new spark and appeal to draw non Halo fans. It was fun like Halo always is but for some of us who are not in the hard core group we were expecting a bit of something more. But it is a beta

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 am

I'm going to tend to agree with Slate and Sticky. Reach feels more like what Halo was before Halo 3. Rather, it feels like What the series should have evolved into while Halo 3 was a little side trip.

The more I see the more I feel like coming back to competitive Halo is a likely option.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 am

Yeah I can definetly see that.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 am

It's not Counter Strike. Booo!
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 am

MP has been fun but Halo MP has never been my strong point. Much more interested in the campaign.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 am

co op FTW lol
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 am

The class loadouts will be different for diff playlists, including different starting weapons optional. They have already said they'll have playlists with a big variety of starting weapons for weaker players (ala CoD).

I like the game so far. Haven't played it much yet though. The DMR seems pointless for the most part. Pistol owns once again. Grenades are ridiculously strong. I'll post more when I get to play it more.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 am

Not really Atrum, I found the DMR quite nice and relatively close to the B/R. At least it's what I like of all weapons.

The point most are making here is the "running to grab" problem.
They fixed some of this by letting everyone get invisibility, etc. in the load out, but running for the launcher or trying desperately to find a DMR or needler etc. still is what Miller is talking about. He thought you'd be able to choose while in lobby or just before the game what you start with. Of course Halo has always been this way, but I understand...if you want to always run around with the shotty for example (die and respawn with it) and get shotgun sprees all day...you should be able to.

Power to the people!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 05, 2010 11:50 am

go play cod lol JK
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Honestly, the MP is cool after a second night...but I expected it to be.
I'm looking forward mostly to the campaign.

Should be really cool My Halo Reach Beta Review- First Impression Icon_clown .
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 pm

time to achievement whore another halo game FTW
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

LOL! Watch out for Halo Fanboy Crossing!

If you actually read the statements we made you would see that most of us are not actually bashing the game. Yes, we all have some issues with the game but all in all most seemed to like it. In fact if you remember, I said...

this is the best Halo I have every played. I had more fun last night in the beta than ever before in any other Halo game.
We are just trying to point out some of the things that we don't like as well as the good. It's called being fair and balanced. So don't get your panties in a bunch, no one is trying to bash your precious Halo. Well, maybe Droopy is... lol j/k. But seriously, I liked the game. It's just that, like every game ever made, it could use some improvements/changes IMO.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Same here I like it better than all the other halo's I just wish we had more innovation with Natal coming out and all, it would've been nice. With that said the game does come out in December so many changes can still be made, all in all I will still pwn nwbs with you guys any day of the week lol.

Last edited by S7 Smack on Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the new big team battle gamemode too... I think it's called Invasion. It sounds pretty awesome. I think the new gammode gets added to the beta in a few days.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next