Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release

+10
S7 SecurityGuy
DeadSockPuppet
Atrum
S7 Interseptor
OneBadHuskerFan
S7 wonky
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Epic
S7 OC
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release Empty Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release

Post by S7 OC Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:30 am

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release Empty Re: Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release

Post by S7 Epic Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 am

Sweet, I was hoping it would be less powerful than a current-gen PC...
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release Empty Re: Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release

Post by S7 Uncle Charles Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 am

Wonder what the price will be.... Rolling Eyes
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Uncle Charles
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : Uncle Charles

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 pm

my guess $400-500. Either way I'm getting it. Thanks for the update, hadn't see this anywhere.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 pm

S7 Epic wrote:Sweet, I was hoping it would be less powerful than a current-gen PC...
hahah pretty much
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

S7 Epic wrote:Sweet, I was hoping it would be less powerful than a current-gen PC...

They'll basically be 3 years behind PC's on the day it's released. Looks like it's going to be using last years technology and it's not releasing for almost 2 more years. Kind of underwhelming to be honest.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Usually they are pretty good about using cutting edge tech at launch. The chip set, RAM and graphics card should all be top of the line at the time of the launch.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Usually they are pretty good about using cutting edge tech at launch. The chip set, RAM and graphics card should all be top of the line at the time of the launch.

The GPU is going to be based on AMD's 6000 series which has already been out for quite a while. The 7000 series is already out and while the 7000 series is still very expensive it's already putting the 6000's a generation behind. By the time the next xbox comes out it will already be behind at a minimum of 2 generations, maybe 3. Now I understand that it's a console and they aren't made to be cutting edge current PC's, the fact that it will be so far behind already is just kind of a bummer. That won't keep me from getting one at all, but I guess I was just hoping for more.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Obviously it will be behind PCs. However, given the fact that it is not running an OS, or anything other than games, the entire system specs can't be directly compared to Pcs anyway.

I see it this way. I think current 360 games are VERY pretty (ME3, BF3, Gow3, etc) so improving on those is fine with me.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

AtrumX wrote:
I see it this way. I think current 360 games are VERY pretty (ME3, BF3, Gow3, etc) so improving on those is fine with me.

My thoughts exactly. If you want current gen of speed and capability, get a pc.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Console graphics are as good as they are because of all the clever code that goes into making it so. However, this can only go so far. It'll get to a point where it is just raw power needed to take it to the next level and I can't see a 6-series AMD chip doing that. That said, if it's a custom one, then there may be hope...

But in terms of graphics, I'm really not expecting next-gen. At launch, I'd imagine we'll see a bunch of games that look as good as BF3 does on the PC at 1080p with 2-4xAA. Further down the line, who knows but unless they can pull some clever stuff out of their ass, launching a system that is already graphically inferior to PC's, it's going to make a few people rethink where they'll be spending their $500.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 pm

S7 SockPuppet wrote:
AtrumX wrote:

My thoughts exactly. If you want current gen of speed and capability, get a pc.

That's kind of the point...

2013 'Next Gen' Console < 2011 'Current Gen' PC
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

In my experience it isn't necessarily the graphics that drive the games I buy, it's the game play that I look for.
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 pm

How is that different than any other console launch?

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:35 am

S7 mrmiller wrote:

How is that different than any other console launch?

~mrmiller

When the 360 launched, you needed a really high-end ($2000+) machine to be able to match what the 360 could do and even then, it was only certain games a la CoD2. When the 720 launches, from the rumoured specs, you'll be able to get a PC that can outperform it, for the same price of the console, probably cheaper and by the time it actually launches, PC specs are going to be an awful lot better as it's almost 2 years away.

I'd imagine by that time, the average gaming PC will have CPU's at least as powerful as a top-end i7, Super-fast SSD's for OS and games, Graphics cards that are least 50% faster than what is available today, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy it...but from what I've heard so far, I just feel like I'm being cheated. This has been a long-ass console cycle as it is and the prospect of the 720 releasing in 2013 and having a bunch of launch titles that only look as good as PC BF3 does little to give me the goosebumps of anticipation that I got with the 360.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:06 am

one thing I will not be looking forward to is the increase in games prices

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 am

S7 OC wrote:one thing I will not be looking forward to is the increase in games prices

S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 am

Epic- what I was really thinking about was the craptastic specs for Wii which sold like mad and made mega-$$$ for Nintendo at the time. Like you mentioned before, they seem to set up the consoles up where you can squeeze more out of them with their specific CPU's and graphics processors anyhow.

If they want to cut down on pirating and used games, they should always offer the digital version the same day as the disc version releases, and cut the cost a little. Just $10 or $5 would make the difference. And for the manufactures it has to be good, as they don't have to share the profit with the retail seller, let alone the material, labor, printing, packaging, and shipping costs. I would buy more digital copies if I could get it on release day for $50 or $55 over paying $60 +tax for a game at GameStop. Hell, when do you trade in a game you get more than about $10-$15 for it anyhow, so the difference would be meaningless.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 am

S7 mrmiller wrote:Epic- what I was really thinking about was the craptastic specs for Wii which sold like mad and made mega-$$$ for Nintendo at the time. Like you mentioned before, they seem to set up the consoles up where you can squeeze more out of them with their specific CPU's and graphics processors anyhow.

If they want to cut down on pirating and used games, they should always offer the digital version the same day as the disc version releases, and cut the cost a little. Just $10 or $5 would make the difference. And for the manufactures it has to be good, as they don't have to share the profit with the retail seller, let alone the material, labor, printing, packaging, and shipping costs. I would buy more digital copies if I could get it on release day for $50 or $55 over paying $60 +tax for a game at GameStop. Hell, when do you trade in a game you get more than about $10-$15 for it anyhow, so the difference would be meaningless.

~mrmiller

Digital distribution is a nice idea but imagine trying to download a 50gb game on launch day.

I think the thing I am most excited for, from the 'next gen', is a new GTA. I know 5 is out this year but imagine how good a next gen version will be when they have 50gb of disc space available! Hell, I still consider GTA IV to be the best graphical achievement I have seen in a game. Sure, Crysis and BF are pretty but neither can conjure up the feeling that GTA IV evokes.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am

They usually are pretty cutting edge at launch historically (Wii excluded). Both the 360 and PS3 had some high end parts in them, especially the launch models (before they get cheaper and thinner). Hell the launch PS3 is still one of the best Blu-Ray players available today. It's sort of the benchmark of the industry even 5+ years later. Now that may not be the case with the new Xbox. I guess we will have to wait and see. I have faith at this point. Hell, even if it is based off of the 6000, it will still be a custom design. It's just based off the 6000. Plus there is always a lead time with developing a new console so there will always be new tech available after the work has started. I am betting it will be pretty sweet and I look forward to the reveal.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 am

S7 Epic wrote:Digital distribution is a nice idea but imagine trying to download a 50gb game on launch day.

That wouldn't be such a problem if they use the correct system/tech. Think Torrents, where the more people DL'ing, the more speed as it's DL/UL/Share all at the same time. Just a thought, but if the pirates can do it, why can't MS?

~mrmiller

S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

S7 Epic wrote:
S7 mrmiller wrote:Epic- what I was really thinking about was the craptastic specs for Wii which sold like mad and made mega-$$$ for Nintendo at the time. Like you mentioned before, they seem to set up the consoles up where you can squeeze more out of them with their specific CPU's and graphics processors anyhow.

~mrmiller

Digital distribution is a nice idea but imagine trying to download a 50gb game on launch day.

I think the thing I am most excited for, from the 'next gen', is a new elder scrolls. I know SKYRIM is out this year but imagine how good a next gen version will be when they have 50gb of disc space available! Hell, I still consider elder scrolls: SKYRIM to be the best graphical achievement I have seen in a game. Sure, Crysis and BF are pretty but neither can conjure up the feeling that SKYRIM evokes.
Agreed that would be flipping crazy and probably take 2 years to beat!
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm

rofls

its says

six times faster then the current xbox

i rofls that it will still be slower then most mid end gaming pc's

i would say since MS makes it they should just do like they do with PC's here the basic to play a game how ever you can upgrade it as much as you want

even if this means they make there own line of xbox only GPU ,CPU,HDD and so on i would be down to do it
and they would make alot of money from it
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:29 pm

If they were selling a pc that would be a good idea. I can't imagine the actual power and performance of this not being impressive.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:16 pm

S7 mrmiller wrote:
S7 Epic wrote:Digital distribution is a nice idea but imagine trying to download a 50gb game on launch day.

That wouldn't be such a problem if they use the correct system/tech. Think Torrents, where the more people DL'ing, the more speed as it's DL/UL/Share all at the same time. Just a thought, but if the pirates can do it, why can't MS?

~mrmiller

I torrent frequently and with my 8mb line, downloads are only about 500k-1mb/s. sharing would detract from your upload speed and you'd not be able to play online whilst doing so. Servers are easily the fastest way to DL but obv. they are prone to getting overloaded.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next