Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iphone Jail break

5 posters

Go down

Iphone Jail break Empty Iphone Jail break

Post by S7 OC Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I am thinking about jail breaking my iphone. I have never done it and really the only reason I want to is to use the wireless tethering hotspot function but don't want to pay an extra $45 a month to enable it through at&t. Any suggestions and or other reasons why to jailbreak?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Iphone Jail break Empty Re: Iphone Jail break

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 am

Well, good news. The Dev Team just released their updated PwnageTool and RedSn0w so you can now jailbreak 4.3.1 untethered. Just a heads up when it comes to the third-party hotspot app, it drains the battery like crazy (I heard the normal one does too though) and I wouldn't use TOO much data or else AT&T might start asking questions.

Besides the hotspot, there's tons of things to do with a jailbreak. It turns pretty much every single part of iOS customizable, amazing third-party apps available on Cydia like BiteSMS and sbsettings, tons of emulators (NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, N64, PSX, and more), boot to Android instead of iOS, get all App Store apps for free (buy them if you like them though, support the devs)....there's too many reasons to list. I jailbroke my first-gen Edge iPhone the second I got home with it years ago, and I've been jailbroken ever since with my newer models Smile

Check out:
OSX: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14567
Windows: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14562

If you have any questions, just ask!
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Hellogiraffe

https://sacredseven.forumotion.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Ok so I am now Jailbroken help me out and tell me what things I should be downloading from the get go. Must have things.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

OC you were asking about the tethering option the other day and I ran across this. I don't tether so I can not speak the the validity of this article.

Iphone Jail break Att-mywi-tethering-03-18-2011
AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop (update)

Been using an app like MyWi to enable tethering on your jailbroken iPhone? Then there's a good chance you've already received a message like the one above from AT&T, or perhaps an email like the one after the break. By all accounts, the carrier is now cracking down on all unauthorized tethering, and it's asking folks engaged in such behavior to either pay up for a proper tethering plan or simply stop tethering altogether -- if it doesn't hear anything back for you after sending the message, AT&T says it will automatically enroll you in a DataPro 4GB tethering plan (at a rate of $45 a month). We should note that all the reports we've seen so far are from iPhone users, although that certainly doesn't mean Android users will simply be allowed to slip by unnoticed. Exactly how AT&T is identifying users isn't clear, however, and we could well just be seeing the beginning of a cat and mouse game as folks try to discover workarounds to go undetected. More on this one as we get it.

Update: AT&T reached out to us and, yes, this is pretty much all there is to the tale: the "small number of smartphone customers who use their devices for tethering but aren't on our required tethering plan," are being contacted to either cease and desist or prepare to start paying for the service. No word yet on how many customers have been contacted, but it does seem that they're all using iPhones.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

Dear XXXXXXXX,

We've noticed your service plan may need updating.

Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T's mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.

Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.

If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
your account online at www.wireless.att.com, or call us
at 1-888-860-6789 Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST
or Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Here are details on the plan:

DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
• $45 per month
(this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
• Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB after March 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.

If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go to www.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.

As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.

Sincerely,

AT&T

ORIGINAL POST
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks SG I am aware of this happening but do not want to pay $45 a month even for the short amount of time I would use it.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 am

From what I've read it is unmistakeable that you are using your phone teathered. There is some other information that's inserted when you use it that way. Don't be too surprised if you get the same notices oc, they don't care if you use it once a month or 10 times a day, they want their money.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Big M Easy

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

True if it happens it happens I guess. I only plan to use it when I am on vacation with my family and don't have great wifi access

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

OC did you get your basic apps installed? If you have questions I can help some, but the true resident expert is Giraffe.
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Glock I got some apps but I'm not sure what the basic apps are

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Depends what you're looking for, as always. Personally, I mainly use the jailbreak to demo full games (I buy them if I like them, I'm not a true pirate). My favorite Cydia apps are:

BiteSMS (Has a QuickReply option that I LOVE for texting, plus many other features)
Winterboard (To install themes)
Flashlight (White screen, but it turns brightness to its highest unlike the App Store ones)
iFile (Kinda like a "My Computer" for your phone"
Installous (Basically a cracked App Store)
LockInfo (Can turn your lock screen into a badass wealth of information: emails, missed calls, calendar, etc)
OpenSSH (To wirelessly transfer files onto your phone)
SBSettings (Awesome toggle for Bluetooth, airplane mode, and a bunch of other things)
Activator (Allows you to set certain swipes, button commands, etc to do certain things)
AppSync (Allows cracked apps to run on your phone)

Probably missing a few, I'll check back later when I have a little more free time.
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am

How do I get emulators?
Do you have a gps app? What's the best one.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:43 am

Go into Cydia and go to Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> + -> http://apt.xsellize.com

Then just search for psx4all, gpSphone (GBA emulator), n64iphone, SNES A.D.X. Plus, NES A.D.X. Plus, GAMEBOY A.D.X. Plus, and other ones you may be able to think of. Just download the ones off the Xsellize repo, not the ZoTTD ones because I think they cost money. To get the roms onto the phone though, you will probably have to use OpenSSH or iFile, though some emulators have a built in rom downloader. Actually, some of the emulators even have Wiimote bluetooth support which is pretty badass Very Happy

My favorite GPS app has always been Navigon. It's the one app I use often that I won't buy because last time I checked it was pretty d@mn expensive.
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am

I'm not sure I want a theme yet but if I did were could I go to view them before downloading them and instaling them. WHat theme do you use?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

To be honest with you, finding a theme you like is a pain in the ass since there are soooooo many lol. As of right now, I don't have a theme because I need to update to the new FW and I'm too lazy to customize anything else when I'll just lose it soon anyways. All I have is LockInfo with the Dark Digital theme so I can see the weather, new emails, voicemails, missed calls, texts, calendar events, and push announcements from my lock screen. I also have a Manchester United logo for my slider, and the "slide to unlock" text is green and black to match my LockInfo theme.

The best way to find themes would probably just be to Google "best winterboard themes" and find a good thread on a forum. Good websites for anything to do with jailbreaking are hackulo.us and modmyi.com. Here's a couple themes I had previously though:

This was my first theme back on my old Edge iPhone, I THINK it was called like Blue Orb or something similar to that. The face is happy when there's good reception and sad with poor reception lol, custom battery color, custom carrier logo, and it looks like I used FiveRows (not sure on that app name) to get the five apps on the bottom row.
Iphone Jail break Phones11

This is just a screeny of my old lock screen app called Element, but personally I think LockInfo is a thousand times better. Custom Dodger slider with blue and white scroll text.
Iphone Jail break Img_0310

This is probably my favorite theme I've had just because it was so different from anything anyone else had. I can't remember what it was called and all the crap I did to it, but it's on an old thread somewhere around here so if you're interested, let me know.
Iphone Jail break Img_0311

S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Cool, Yeah I am really likeing the lockinfo. I do have one question though about the bitesms, I can't reply or quick reply with out buying credits? Is there a way around that?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Bleh the new update made the "credit" system default. Open BiteSMS, hit the little cog button at the top, and change the "Default Send Method" to "via Mobile Carrier". Also, check out the many many options in the app, as well as in LockInfo. Lots of customizable things you can do that are pretty fun Smile

While you're at it, find a nice theme in Cydia for LockInfo. Those ones are very easy to install and don't require any apps like Winterboard.
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down