Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered)

+2
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Vision67
6 posters

Go down

My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Empty My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered)

Post by S7 Vision67 Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:13 am

Madrigal is a small, symetrical 4v4 three tiered map built with CTF and Slayer in mind. Firstly, let's get to the screenshots then we will discuss the ideology behind it.

(Quick note on the map name: I honestly was just calling this "2base-t" until about an hour ago. For some reason I thought of Madrigal (Wikipedia Entry). So the name stuck *shrug*. I realize I spelled it wrong, that will be changed next time I upload a version to my fileshare)

Download Madrigal v1.59 Very Happy

===
QUICK STATS
-x6 DMR spawns (x2 each base side of the outer rim, x2 outside each tunnel; 30s Respawn)
-x4 Plasma Grenade spawns (x2 on each base's ramp-platform; 30s Respawn)
-x2 Plasma Pistol (One in each side-tunnel; 60s Respawn)

===
Coming Soon/In-Progress

Power weapon: Shotgun?
Armor Ability bottom center?

===
FINISHED MAP EDITS

CHANGED A lot of behind the scenes stuff, including fixing some objects that were causing lag/z-fighting

DONE Added more Spawn points for slayer gametype
DONE Fixed Flag Spawns. Flag now spawns on the stand instead of to the side.
DONE-Work some lighting to provide better orientation and callouts. Currently the map is slightly confusing without any identifying characteristics on either side

[DONE]-Map is a little too cramped at the moment, In the process of doing the math to let out the seams, and give the map more room to move around in.

-REMOVED Rockets from map, as well as rocket platform, the shield doors, and the ramps leading up to them. This map plays better without them.
===
Screen Shots
[Initial spawn points] Base shot. The platform is slightly elevated, ramps on each side, platform with slight cover above each ramp

My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalred1
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalred2

Going down the right side of each base will lead to this hallway, semi covered, with a ledge sticking out to provide jumping access to level 2 on this side.
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalblue1

Ramp on the left side of each base leads to level 3
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalred4

Bottom Floor, facing outwards from each base
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalbottom

Another Side View
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalside

Out the front of the base
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigalbaseview

I took the top off the map and took a screenshot (Thanks for suggesting it, Ender!)
My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Madrigaloverview
=====
Design Philosophy

I initially wanted to make a map that was small enough that it had the H3 Onslaught feel, without being a straight up remake of it. I also wanted very much to use items in the forge toolbox that wouldn't be the same sort of ledges and ramps other forged maps would use over and over again.

With this in mind, I started with the inverted Pyramids on each side which provide the outer rims of level 2, as well as the side tunnels.

Originally each side tower used a teleporter located on the awning below the nest. While this worked for a while, eventually the need for more cover on the left side of each base meant that I had to do away with the teleporter and insert a ramp. This was a welcome change which added more diversity to the map, as well as more cover on that side.

The right sides of each base ("Ledge corner", where the small ledge is located to get to Level 2) was too open, and with the nest right above that spawn area it meant too many spawn kills if the setup was solid. To limit spawn camping, I made a small corner wall using two tall walls. These walls also have ledge where a player can tac-jump to the next in two jumps.

===
Current Problems

===

Special thanks to AtrumX who offered me a couple tips and helped with some construction, and SKN SMEAD who helped him playtest it while I was still constructing it lol.

Last edited by S7 Vision67 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Empty Re: My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered)

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 am

NICE! Looks like the perfect killing grounds.
Shocked I think that's what I'll call it....The Killing Grounds...LOL
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered) Empty Re: My own Forged Map: Madrigal v1 (Small, Symmetrical, 3 tiered)

Post by S7 Vision67 Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Added more/new pictures of the new changes made.
Added edit log.
Added/fixed spawnpoints and flag spawns
Added lighting

The map has changed quite a bit from v1.1. the half tier between the first and second floor was raised to make a complete third floor, with small cover added. Side platforms on the bases added, and front base cover using the glass also added.

Map is ready for extensive playtesting. If you download it and play it out, send me a message on live or here.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 pm

S7 MEMBERS

It would really help me out if y'all could hop on and playtest it with me tonight, so I can get a better idea of how it plays out (So far, I've only tested 1v1 matches).

Sticky will probably put it in tuesday's practice, but it doesn't hurt to ask for help now!
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:15 am

Version 1.59 released

Changes: Fixed behind the scenes stuff, mostly objects that were causing lag/z-fighting.
Added: Window at the very top center of the map for aesthetic purposes. No noticeable lag increase after I put it in so I think it will stay.

Three screenshots were added: SIDE base view, view from the base looking OUTWARD, and as Ender suggested, an OVERHEAD screenshot showing the entire map, plus spawn points (Thanks for the suggestion!)

Still looking for playtesters, and any suggestions on floor aesthetics, since it still looks a bit bare (but playable!).

Coming soon: A video showing gameplay on the map (probably will be done after I get to version 1.8, for a more complete version)
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:36 am

Ill help you test when you need it.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 am

S7 Panzer wrote:Ill help you test when you need it.

GET ON NAAAAAAOOOOO

I'm lonely Sad
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 am

I've been up all night working on something new. Something big. It will serve as a King of the Hill, Slayer, and CTF-3 map, and maybe even Oddball, and oh my lord does it look sexy. The bottom floor is waterlogged, and each base is three floors, and I'm in the process of working out a cross-map catwalk system, which will make the map three continuous, and separate floors. The entire waterlogged bottom floor is covered by the entire second floor, but it has a four-way sewer in the very center of the map, which mirrors the middle area of the second floor, which will mirror the centerpiece of the third.

Think of this map as Sanctuary meets Warlock meets Beaver Creek

The majority of the structure of the map, minus the catwalk, is all done. I just need to populate it now with some cover, weapons, and spawnpoints. Screenshots to follow probably tomorrow.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:32 am

Yeah, saw you in forge all night while I was in matchmaking...LOL, But then again, you are three hours behind. It's 6 o'clock for me, been gaming most of the night/morning (took a break to watch a flick) but I'd love to see the map tomorrow.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I got kicked off my own map today. I saw someone was playing a game on this map but playing the old 1.59 version (Current is 1.8 ). I went in to say hello and to point out they were playing an older version, and I was booted from the game lmao.

Last edited by S7 Vision67 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Lol that's pretty funny joe.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Nobody likes a know it all.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Vision how does one go about learning to build maps...every time I attempt to do it is seems I'm limited by funds...what do I do? Help a NOOb
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 pm

S7 R0LLING THUND3R wrote:Vision how does one go about learning to build maps...every time I attempt to do it is seems I'm limited by funds...what do I do? Help a NOOb

A map goes through a lot of revisions, don't kid yourself: Making a map is a lot of work if you want people to really play it.

My advice for the core set of steps to follow to get started is thus:

• Pick a Design focus: Do I want this map to be designed as a 4v4 arena, competitive, less competitive? Asymmetrical? Symmetrical?
    What Gametypes do I want to support? KOTH? Team Slayer? FFA? Oddball? 3-Plot? CTF? All of them? Some of them?

• Pick an Art Focus: Do I want to make this all metal? Should my map be in the Colosseum? How much natural elements do I want to include in it, if any? Do I want rocks in it, or trees, or water?

• Sketch out some ideas. Be sure to start thinking about the following 3 things in particular:
    What the movement of the player is going to look like if you drew a line from one area to every other area, because continuity matters. If a player cannot get from one area to the next easily, you're going to have a bad experience for the player because discontinuity in a map breaks immersion, which has the player feel less like he's playing a map, and more like he's being directed somewhere.

What center piece is this map going to function around? Zealot has the center spire with the lifts. Ivory Tower Reflection has the top center. Countdown has the sword bridge, the Tri lifts, and the wide open center. Sanctuary had the center rings. Midship was freakin' Midship. Guardian had the deadzone.

Start thinking about base design. You want your map to be fluid, and encompass the base, to have the base BE a part of the map, not look like something that was added because there needed to be a primary area for the team to spawn (For a good example of what doesn't make a good immersive base, see my map Madrigal)

Some people on forge like to use Google Sketchup to get started. I have it, I've used it to some extent in my own maps, but I don't particularly like using it extensively. In fact, I much prefer to sketch on paper what I want to do (And again, focus on the three things above when sketching), and afterward get into forge and start figuring out what pieces work to accomplish the shapes and aesthetics I want.

Oh and I forgot to mention this, but what is also equally important as the map ITSELF, is that during the entire process you mold the map around Power Weapon/Armor Ability Placement (if any), Dominant areas (See Top lifts Construct, Snipe Tower on Guardian, Pink and Carbine for Midship), and most importantly PLAYER SPAWNS. You cannot just throw some spawnpoints around and expect your map to work. You need to make sure every spawn where the player may be thrown into an encounter on spawn, will have some chance to win that encounter. If you throw points around and players are spawning in open areas, people are going to hate your map really quick. But if you have them spawn behind cover, and if you group spawn points (I do them in 3s) in different areas (and pay attention to spawn influence, which is an ENTIRE topic in of itself) then you can have fair spawns that a team can fight from.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down