Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature Thread

+16
S7 OC
The JDG
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Coolhand
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Interseptor
Shuntentatsu
BonzOmega
DerangeMaverick
S7 mrmiller
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Epic
S7 Panzer
Atrum
DeadSockPuppet
PootyPoo22
20 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Literature Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Literature Thread

Post by The JDG Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Check that, $18.99 price tag on Amazon. A lot for a digital book.
The JDG
The JDG
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : The JDG

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Finished up "A Princess of Mars" I read the original printed 1911 version. I enjoyed the story line but I feel the different between current writing styles and Edgar Rice Burroughs style of writing. The only complains I had was he had great detail on Mars / Barsoom but in other areas of the book he rushed or failed to give enough information. I gave it a 3 out of 5 on goodreads.com
I have started to read the second book "The Gods of Mars". If you are interested in picking these books up or seeing other book series he created the links are below

About Edgar Rice Buroughs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs

Most of the Barsoom Series

Type into the search these books and pick your file type

1. Princess of Mars
2. The Gods of Mars
3. Warlord of Mars
4. Thuvia, Maid of Mars
5. The Chessman of Mars

There is 11 books in the series but I could only find 5 on this specific website.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am

S7 Panzer wrote:Finished up "A Princess of Mars" I read the original printed 1911 version. I enjoyed the story line but I feel the different between current writing styles and Edgar Rice Burroughs style of writing. The only complains I had was he had great detail on Mars / Barsoom but in other areas of the book he rushed or failed to give enough information. I gave it a 3 out of 5 on goodreads.com
I have started to read the second book "The Gods of Mars". If you are interested in picking these books up or seeing other book series he created the links are below

About Edgar Rice Buroughs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs

Most of the Barsoom Series

Type into the search these books and pick your file type

1. Princess of Mars
2. The Gods of Mars
3. Warlord of Mars
4. Thuvia, Maid of Mars
5. The Chessman of Mars

There is 11 books in the series but I could only find 5 on this specific website.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

And if you have a Kindle (or want to read on your computer), Princess of Mars is free at Amazon.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am

All those books under that link have kindle mobi. file types.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 pm

PootyPoo22 wrote:I just finished The Bourne Identity today. The book is very different from the movie. The basic story of an amnesiac trying to figure out who he is is about the only similarity with the movie. Well that and the fact that he's a badass. It's extremely fast paced and keeps you on your toes. A really fun read.
Don't stop there, read Ultimatum and Supremacy. The movies are fun, but as usual the books are better. When they were written The Jackal was still at large so the books made sense. They dropped that part from the movies and it leaves a big gap in the plot I feel.

SkipitoFriskito wrote:Check that, $18.99 price tag on Amazon. A lot for a digital book.
My mom has the hardback, so free for me. Are the public libraries not onboard for e-books yet?
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Most public libraries have an online catalog but they are really small at the moment. I would recommend looking at your local libraries website to see if they even have an online database. The entire state of Kansas uses one website called www.sunflowerelibrary.org It requires you to entire in your library card number and you have up to 5 checkouts a one time. It very nice because you never have to worry about returning books because they will automatically be take off whatever device you are using after the checkout has expired.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 am

Just finished up " The Gods of Mars " second book in the John Carter / Barsoom series. The second book leaves right off where book one ended with John Carter on another crazy adventure vs impossible odds but always prevailing at every turn. Overall compared to the first book I gave it a 4/5 on the goodread.com scale. Trust me if you read the first book and enjoyed it the second wont disappoint. I have also started reading book 3 in the series " Warlord of Mars " and " Game of Thrones ". After seeing the first season of the hit HBO show I wanted to get the full version of " A Song of Ice and Fire " books. With summer in full swing ill be posting often with nothing but free video games to play and books to read.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by PootyPoo22 Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 pm

hey panzer you should add me on goodreads
PootyPoo22
PootyPoo22
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : PootyPoo22

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 pm

yeah sure, name?

Mine should be goodreads.com/Lordpanzer
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Mon May 21, 2012 10:22 pm

I just finished Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter and really enjoyed it. Has anyone else read it?
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 am

Well I took a break from Game of Thrones and read Divergent. Its another dystopian YA fiction like Enclave, and The Hunger Games. I would say this book has a similar background overlay like The Hunger Games. Though it is not stated at what time the book takes place it is hinted at by the location. " Our main site of government once know as the Sears Tower ( Chicago ) is now the Hub"; so you can speculate its in the not so distant future. Like The Hunger Games people are split up into different factions. Each faction instead of producing a resource has its own way of viewing the world and personal beliefs, much like a choice of religion or state of mind. The book begins with the main character Beatrise turning 16 like every other 16 year old having the hard choice of either staying with her current faction or changing to a different faction. Once she chooses she must stay with that faction forever. The story starts out slow but becomes a thrill ride of a book that produces not only a good read but perspective of free will. Even though I found some parts of the book easy to prodict or totally corny I give this book a 4 out of 5 on goodreads.com. The good series is already slated to be a trilogy so I plan on starting Insurgent ( book 2 ) whenever I can. Other then that I'm about 43% through Game of Thrones so ill keep you guys posted on that whenever I finish that hulk of a read.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 am

I hear the while that trilogy with Divergent is YA, that it's actually supposed to be pretty comparable in quality to the Hunger Games and that trilogy. If I ever get a chance to do some reading I was possibly going to look into that so keep posting your thoughts as you go thru them so I have an idea as to whether or not they're worth reading.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 am

I'm reading the 2nd book of the Hunger Games right now. Only get 5 minutes here and there but am about halfway. Not bad at all.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 pm

You should be able to pick up the Divergent series at your local library wither its online or not.

PS. Atrum I loved the ending to The Hunger Games, but I felt Suzanne Collins seemed to rushed the last book lowering the quality standard. Now your opinion on the ending can go either way but I found it acceptable for the amount of punishment Katniss when through.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

I liked Hunger Games and the two other books of the trilogy but I was a little underwhelmed by the ending. I wasn't completely unhappy with it but I was hoping for more.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 pm

My daughter (age 12) just started reading "Heir to the Empire." Cool

I had nothing to do with it, she noticed the books on my shelf and wanted to start reading them. No one can say I'm not raising my kids right! LOL.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by The JDG Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Just finished "I Am Legend". They should make a movie out of it...the film version with Will Smith doesn't even seem like the same story. The Omega Man doesn't either.
The JDG
The JDG
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : The JDG

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:26 pm

I finished the Insurgent book 2 of the Divergent series last night.This review is hard to write without spilling important details so ill try to give the overall feel without giving away anything important. Unlike the first book where it focuses on Tris and her growth as a character. This book focuses on her ability to overcome fear and past regrets that have piled up from book 1. Just like the first book the story line starts out slow but after some big events and huge secrets the book picks up and makes you hold on tell the end craving for more. With the great ending Insurgents had I'm already craving the final book in this great trilogy. My final review was a 4 out of 5 on goodreads.com My other current reads are Game of Thrones at 80% and Grimspace at 22%. If anyone is interested in Sirantha Jax series ( Grimspace book 1) so far its a 6 book series with 5 already published and 1 more on the way. The book even though I have barely skimmed the surface is a good read.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 am

Well Game of Thrones is good and finished. I have to say the HBO series gave the book a good amount of justice on explaining all the important details, while leaving out parts of the story that don't chance the main plot. If you have seen the HBO series and want to get a closer / deeper look into the Songs of Ice and Fire series I suggest picking this 1000+ page book up from your local library. I have started the second book already A Clash of Kings and I have to say the book keeps your attention even though its a thick read.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Reza WRX Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I know I'm really behind, but I recently finished The Hunger Games. I actually enjoyed it, but am wondering if I should continue with the trilogy. Does the series really trail off after the outcomes of the games, or will it still keep my interest? Let me know!
Reza WRX
Reza WRX
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : Reza WRX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:15 pm

I would say the second book is the best in the series I personally feel the last book was rushed so the quality was down some but still it was a strong finish to this awesome trilogy.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Reza WRX Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 pm

OK, thanks Panzer, I'll definitely continue reading though and let you know what I think of the second book.
Reza WRX
Reza WRX
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : Reza WRX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 am

Just finished reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's a Dracula story that jumps between different time periods (Dracula's, the parents of the narrator, and the narrator's) and progresses as a historian's explorations of the Dracula story. It took me a good while to finish (lack of time not length of book) but it's definitely worth reading.

The main reason why I got into reading it is that it was a book that we got for my mother-in-law as a Christmas gift the last Christmas she was with us and I'm pretty sure she didn't get a chance to read I before she died. Her and I tended to like similar books so I thought I'd give it a try for both of us and I have to say I wasn't disappointed.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am

Sounds interesting puppet! I've always enjoyed Dracula themed stories.
I've sadly been reading very little lately. Between work, family, studying, and the little gaming time I get I never have too much time.
I have been running through the Hunger Games series again. It's so short/easy that I can read half a page and not lose my spot or forget what happened last if I'm distracted constantly.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm currently reading " the Mark of Athena " Rick Riodan book series the Hero's of Olympus. It leaves off right where " the Son of Neptune " ended and I'm about 90% though and it hasn't disappointed. I've also read all of the Game of Thrones book expect I'm about 50% through on the last available book.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next