Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature Thread

+16
S7 OC
The JDG
S7 Uncle Charles
S7 Coolhand
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Interseptor
Shuntentatsu
BonzOmega
DerangeMaverick
S7 mrmiller
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Epic
S7 Panzer
Atrum
DeadSockPuppet
PootyPoo22
20 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Literature Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Literature Thread

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 pm

I started reading Micro which was the last book started by Michael Crichton and was finished by Richard Preston. I'm about 60 pages in and so far it's starting off great. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Chrichton novel, even if he didn't finish writing it. And Preston is no slouch, Hot Zone was a fantastic book.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Hmm, I've noticed a trend in my recent book choice in the fact that someone involved in the book dies in real life before finishing writing or reading it. Kinda morbid.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Then you should read Game of Thrones he is probably going to die before the book series is done.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Good deal, that can be my next read.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am

Just finished reading The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene. It's been a while since I've "nerded it up" with some light physics reading so I thought if jump back in.

Like Greene's other works, the book is designed for the layperson and only includes math and equations when they're absolutely necessary to further the book. The main concept of the book is using parallel universes and multiverses to help create a unifying theory.

In laying the framework for the book, Greene rehashes old info on Newtonian mechanics, relativity, quantum mechanics and some newer theories like string/M-theory. For those that have read past books by Greene, those that are knowledgeable about physics, and those that are looking for really light reading, Greene informs the reader of spots that can be skipped (either because they're "old info" or more technically in-depth explanations) but still allow the reader to get the gist of where science currently is.

I think the info Greene presents raises some great questions about the universe and how close or far we are from finding a simple, elegant theory of everything. I suggest that anyone with even a minor interest in physics pick up a copy (or an e-book download) and give this a try. The story builds in a logical manner and brings the reader from point A to point B with minor stops for "messy physics", while exploring multiple different viewpoints.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:34 am

After my physics for fun I jumped into some light fiction and started The Mortal Instraments series. I polished off the first book in a couple days and the got right into the next book. So far I'm enjoying the books and I wish I had more time to keep reading. They feel almost like a mix between Potter and Twilight (sans the gayness of Twilight) and they're pretty easy to get into and read.

I ended up picking up the series after seeing a trailer for the movie that's coming out for the first book and thinking it will be forever before I'll get a chance to see the movie but that I can hold the kiddo and read a book at the same time.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:05 am

I got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, so I first downloaded and read the Silmarillion again. From there I bought the first 3 books from the Wheel of Time series. I own them all in paperback but decided reading them again would be nice on the kindle. Finished book 1 last week, half way through book 2 now.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 am

That's another series that I need to get some time to get into. I've heard nothing but good reviews for Wheel of Time.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 am

I started reading the Dark Tower series. I have also read up to the first half of the last song of ice and fire series ( game of thrones ) but started slowing down on that read knowing the next book wont be out for awhile. I also did some re reading of the Halo book series and read the Time Keeper. Other then that I start school tomorrow so back to reading text books soon.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by The JDG Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Upgraded my Kindle to the Paperwhite. Finished 11/22/63 and had a hard time finding something else to start. Anybody read the Wool series buy Hugh Howey?
The JDG
The JDG
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : The JDG

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.shifty Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm

S7 mrmiller wrote:I'm not much into reading, but when I was I wanted something easy and fun to read.

If you want an easy and fun read, pick up the various Star Wars Novels. You can find a time line for them and read them in order if you like, but Timothy Zahn's, Thrawn Trilogy is what you must read first.

Otherwise I would say my favorite book from when I was in High School has to be Louis L'Amour's The Walking Drum.

From Amazon-

"Here is an historic adventure of extraordinary power waiting to sweep you away to exotic lands as one of the most popular writers of our time conquers new storytelling worlds. Louis L'Amour has been best known for his ability to capture the spirit and drama of the authentic American West. Now he guides his readers to an even more distant frontier -- the enthralling lands of the 12th century.

At the center of The Walking Drum is Kerbouchard, one of L'Amour's greatest heroes. Warrior, lover, scholar, Kerbouchard is a daring seeker of knowledge and fortune bound on a journey of enormous challenge, danger and revenge. Across the Europe, the Russian steppes and through the Byzantine wonder of Constantinople, gateway to Asia, Kerbouchard is thrust into the heart of the treacheries, passions, violence and dazzling wonders of a magnificent time. From castle to slave gallery, from sword-racked battlefields to a princess's secret chamber, and ultimately, to the impregnable fortress of the Valley of Assassins, The Walking Drum is a powerful adventure of an ancient world you will find every bit as riveting as Louis L'Amour's stories of the American West."

Everyone I know that has ever read it loved the book. Again, this was around 20 years ago since I read it, and I was into stuff like the Robert E. Howards Conan Books too.

~mrmiller

I feel terrible for thread necro, but I have to comment. The Walking Drum was absolutely my favorite Louis L'Amour books. And I've read every book he has written.

mr.shifty

GamerTag : Mr.Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Since it's alive again, I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time books on my kindle now. Also going through a slough of technical books, but those are for work.

Currently half-way through Book 4 in the Wheel of Time series.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by The JDG Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Just started Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Feels like a cross between Starship Troopers and Avatar.
The JDG
The JDG
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.shifty Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

I love the Wheel of Time as well, I just picked up book 14 the other day. I'll probably run through the rest of the series over the next couple weeks before I read it though. Just to make sure it is all fresh.

But this may classify as my favorite thread ever. Something I enjoy even more than video games. Blasphemy I know. But if you are a fan of WoT, you should read some of Brandon Sanderson's other work. "The Way of Kings" for example. Plus of course he wrote the Mistborn trilogy which is fantastic, and Elantris, Warbreaker and others. Then if you like his other work you could check out Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle series, "The Warded Man", "The Desert Spear" and the third just came out "The Daylight War". Of course if you like those you should read Brent Weeks, The Night Angel Trilogy, and "The Black Prism" and "The Blinding Knife". I'll stop there because I could go for days.

Currently I'm reading Clockwork Angels, written by Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart (Yes, the drummer from Rush). That's based on the semi-story kind of told from their album by the same name.

But really I should just link my good reads page, which is woefully behind on my reading, but one day I'll get it caught up.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/16804159-brandon

mr.shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 pm

S7 Skipito wrote:Just started Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Feels like a cross between Starship Troopers and Avatar.

So... the Blue people run in to Giant Bugs and have a way lower budget? Laughing
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Currently, I am reading Issac Asimov's I, Robot. As well as rereading the complete Hitchhiker's Guide 5 book trilogy.

Before that I read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski which is a collection of short stories about the "Witcher" (like the Video Game, which is based off the books). Very good read as well.

Recently I also read the first 4 books of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Excellent series so far. The first book, Wizard's First Rule is particularly good.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by The JDG Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 pm

So... the Blue people run in to Giant Bugs and have a way lower budget? Laughing [/quote]

The big difference so far is these people are green.
The JDG
The JDG
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:48 pm

S7 Skipito wrote:So... the Blue people run in to Giant Bugs and have a way lower budget? Laughing

The big difference so far is these people are green. [/quote]

Lol, nice.

@ Interseptor

Sword of Truth books are great. One of my favorites actually. I would not recommend watching the tv adaptation after reading them though. Or if you do, don't expect it to be Game of Thrones quality. I'd more compare it to what they did bringing Eragon from book to movie form.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah, I actually saw the TV series first which was actually good. Then I read the books which are way better. But I still like the show and actually watched it again after reading the first few book. Very different from each other but still good in it's own way.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah, I think Percy Jackson is the best comparison. If you see the show first, not bad at all. Nothing amazing, but not bad.
If you read the books first... then you REALLY have to not mind drastic changes between the two.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Currently Reading the Metro 2033 book which is what Metro 2033 the game and the Metro Last Light made that is coming out in May are based from. I am also re-reading the Divergent series and finished up A Dance with Dragons #5 of the songs of ice and fire.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 pm

mr.shifty wrote:

Currently I'm reading Clockwork Angels, written by Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart (Yes, the drummer from Rush). That's based on the semi-story kind of told from their album by the same name.

I would be interested in that, as Neil has always been into Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and has a great imagination. Just think of 2012, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lament, etc... They even have a song named Rivendell (yes, after the Elven city in Lord of the Rings.). The first Rush album was good, but after that album when Neil joined is when Rush really became "Rush".

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.shifty Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 am

S7 mrmiller wrote:
mr.shifty wrote:

I would be interested in that, as Neil has always been into Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and has a great imagination. Just think of 2012, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lament, etc... They even have a song named Rivendell (yes, after the Elven city in Lord of the Rings.). The first Rush album was good, but after that album when Neil joined is when Rush really became "Rush".

~mrmiller
I absolutely agree, I grew up on Rush. Love them, and so far the book is quite good. I haven't finished it yet because I'm a multi reader and I have a book in each room of my house so I'm currently in the middle of 6 different books, but I am enjoying it so far.

mr.shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Sat May 25, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm looking for something new to read as I tend to read more during the summer/ end of spring. Any recommendations on any thing that is good?
I'm open to many topics but not so much of a sci-fi fan.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat May 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Try The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. They're like a young adult fiction like Hunger Games. Not super deep and a good, quick read. There's like 5 or 6 of them.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next