Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EA Screwing People Again

+8
S7 Epic
S7 mrmiller
S7 Coolhand
S7 Sticky
S7 Glock
S7 Smack
S7 Interseptor
S7 Bullet
12 posters

Go down

EA Screwing People Again Empty EA Screwing People Again

Post by S7 Bullet Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 am

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/ea-sports-to-charge-10-to-play-used-games-online.ars?old=mobile

yep going to charge 10$ to play online when you by a used game. Another reason I'm boycotting them. EA knows how to ruin a game in a second.
S7 Bullet
S7 Bullet
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : S7 Bullet

Back to top Go down

EA Screwing People Again Empty Re: EA Screwing People Again

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

Just when I was starting to like EA again. Figures.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 am

it doesn't surprise me at all it is EA they've been doing it for years with sports games I just hope it doesn't transfer over to the shooters genre for I personally don't care since for me it like paying 10 for the game but for everyone else it blows.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am

I too think tho sucks. But from a business perspective u will probably see more of this from many developers. The used game market has got a little out of control and the developer and publisher make no money on used games. All the profit goes to the store. Of you figure the cost to develop and market a game it isn't cheap. So if u really wanna support the market for quality games them be sure to buy new.
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 am

S7 Glock wrote:I too think tho sucks. But from a business perspective u will probably see more of this from many developers. The used game market has got a little out of control and the developer and publisher make no money on used games. All the profit goes to the store. Of you figure the cost to develop and market a game it isn't cheap. So if u really wanna support the market for quality games them be sure to buy new.

ya i am with glock plus most used games are not really cheap till the game has been out a long time like when i got forza it was only 5 bucks cheaper if this was going on it would have coast me 15bucks more over all ...

it that or b1tch at eas on the phone saying it new!!!! EA Screwing People Again Icon_twisted EA Screwing People Again Icon_twisted EA Screwing People Again Icon_twisted
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am

Glocks right plus you'll be saving money now, if you figure buying madden used for $55 dollars then paying $10 bucks to play online that's 65 not including tax. So in reality you'll be paying near the 65-70 dollar mark depending where you live and taxes for that specific city,I would just get the new copy it's a lot less hectic.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed May 12, 2010 11:56 am

The more likely scenario I see is... in order for the used game sellers to keep selling, they lower their price by whatever EA is charging. That way there is still incentive to buy used rather than new. The consumer ends up paying the same amount, but a small portion of the revenue is redirected to the manufacturer. If they didn't do this then people would end up paying more for a used game than for a new copy, and the law suits would be incredible.

Last edited by S7 Coolhand on Wed May 12, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 12, 2010 11:57 am

S7 Coolhand wrote:The more likely scenario I see is... in order for the used game sellers to keep selling, they lower their price by whatever EA is charging. That way there is still incentive to buy used rather than new. The consumer ends up paying the same amount, but a small portion of the revenue is redirected to the manufacturer.

thats a good idea and i am sure this will happen because gamestop will be hit hard by this if they dont do something
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Bullet Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:
S7 Coolhand wrote:The more likely scenario I see is... in order for the used game sellers to keep selling, they lower their price by whatever EA is charging. That way there is still incentive to buy used rather than new. The consumer ends up paying the same amount, but a small portion of the revenue is redirected to the manufacturer.

thats a good idea and i am sure this will happen because gamestop will be hit hard by this if they dont do something

depends on the game. Alot of games there hitting the 100% profit mark or more even. Not sure if it was here or the old forums but I think someone posted on the forums an article where BestBuy and Gamestop were competeing on selling games, needless to say Bestbuy lost. It was only done in one market out west I beleive. Just to give you an example of what GameStop can do is this and this is my own experience. When CoD:WaW was coming out I went a few months ahead and took my copy of Modern Warefare in to get a jump start on my preorder. Well I decided I made a bad choice, a used copy of Modern Warefare was like 55$ just before CoD:WaW came out. Think I might have gotten 20$ trade in on Modern Warefare. Also you have to remember they do cash transactions to which alot of people do when there strapped for money, you don't get near the amount when you take the cash vs doing a preorder or doing a gift card.
S7 Bullet
S7 Bullet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed May 12, 2010 4:41 pm

I guess I'm missing something, as I don't see how this really screws over a gamer, but how it screws over the used game "seller". The only reason EA is in business is to make money, and if the can't do that they will not be in business. One universal code that lets you DL everything (like in BC2) is not a bad idea, and much better than what Activision is doing. Seriously, $15 for the first map pack, then who knows how much for each additional one. With BC2 if you pay $10 for the VIP code (which you get for free buying the game at launch or pre-ordering) in BF2 you get every future DLC for that one price.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed May 12, 2010 4:55 pm

S7 mrmiller wrote:I guess I'm missing something, as I don't see how this really screws over a gamer, but how it screws over the used game "seller".
~mrmiller
Exactly. Gamestop will have to take the loss here, and I'm not so sure they can afford it. This is the new game vendor vs the used game vendor, fighting over the money we are willing to spend. That feud has been simmering for a while. I don't think this cost will be passed on to us.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Your used games sure are expensive over there...$55?!
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Per the article:
"You'll also be given access to "bonus" content, but it sounds
suspiciously like items that were simply left out of the game in order
to provide a false sense of value."

EA Screwing People Again Icon_rolleyes Wow...I'm pretty sure I've been saying this since the first person ever decided to release a Map Pack.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zero Wed May 12, 2010 6:35 pm

This probably wont effect me, as I don't buy used games. Seriously, where I live your only options are to buy new, or buy the rejects in the pawn shop/Video Store (the Only one) that nobody wanted to play, and that's why they are there. We don't have a lot of addicts robbing people's games to feed their habits here, so the pawn shop has sh1t selection. God, I live in the old hole I used to live in, all I can get for games is what I order.
FML
S7 Zero
S7 Zero
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Sony: DKMU_OmniZero

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 am

Makes sense from EAs point of view. We are already starting to see similar stuff across the board. Look at Mass Effect 2 and the Cerberus network thing that allowed you to unlock "extra" content, or more recently Bad Company 2s VIP thing that unlocks "extra" content. If you buy these games used you have to purchase these features.

I fully support Game companies doing this only because I think it is is retarded what GS charges for used AAA titles. Yeah I know they guearanteethe game and everything but we all know that as long as your system is working good you have to mess up a disk pretty bad for it not to play. I remember when used games were actually a great value, now I rarely buy them anymore.

I am still bitter about GS and other retailers not buying back PC games anymore Smile
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Nate Thu May 13, 2010 8:05 am

this wont affect me either. If i want a game, then I usually know i want it before it releases. i end up preordering it and then trading it in later.

It might sound like bullshit, but it does make sense from a business perspective. places like gamestop and EB games make a sh1t load of money off the same game which at times can pass through alot of hands. It means they get alot of the gamer's money, while publishers and developers only get money from the specific title followers who buy it new.
S7 Nate
S7 Nate
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Nate64D

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 pm

I agree with that Tico. And I don't really blame them for trying to level the playing field and get their deserved piece of the pie.

...it won't really affect me either.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Thu May 13, 2010 10:28 pm

To be honest I am suprised that game companies did not start doing this sooner. The amount of profit GS makes from selling used games is friggin ridiculous I am sure.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Bullet Fri May 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Me I don't like it. EA money skeem all over. They have to milk everyone. Might as well start there own little online package so you can pay a membership per month. DRM for the win Crying or Very sad
S7 Bullet
S7 Bullet
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down