Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio

3 posters

Go down

Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio Empty Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:49 pm

kind of sucks when i stream pc gaming i have pandora playing all the time 
even with a little window showing the name of the song and so on    google is going to kill twitch i think in the long run

Well, it looks like Twitch is starting to get You Tube'd. From now on Twitch users will have to be really careful about the music they listen/play during gameplay videos, they'll probably even have to restrain themselves from singing during gameplay.  

Why? Because Twitch is implementing a rigorous You Tube like system that scans videos for third party copyright content. When this new system  finds some, it mutes the 30 minute block of video in which the copyrighted song appears. 

The system will only be used for pre-recorded video on demand, according to Twitch. They say that they won't be scanning live broadcasts, and that the system won't automatically take content down. 

The problem is that this system is often prone to inaccuracies. Twitch acknowledges this in official blog post, but that's a small consolation to Twitch users who already experienced problems with this new system. You can read the official post from Twitch here
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio Empty Re: Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm

If I could buy stock in hitbox.tv I would sell everything I own and get as much as possible.  People are going to be leaving Twitch in droves.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio Empty Re: Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio

Post by S7 Coolhand Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

The system will only be used for pre-recorded video on demand, according to Twitch. They say that they won't be scanning live broadcasts, and that the system won't automatically take content down. 

Don't know anyone here would be affected.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 pm

The top response on Reddit regarding the issue. 

Dear Twitch,

I've loved your site before its inception, back when it was only Justin.tv's gaming section. It's thanks to your service that I was able to turn my passion into a dream job.

However, several implemented changes to the site has made the site a worse experience. The streaming delay was the final straw for a lot of people, but I had faith that Twitch knew best. Around this time I was in San Francisco, and some Twitch employees told me in person that this change was necessary in order to maintain a profitable business, despite it hurting the quality of the site. Fine, whatever. I'll deal with it.

Deleting all past broadcasts and limiting highlights to 2 hours was extremely disappointing, and I hoped that workarounds were potentially possible and that you would listen to us. Yesterday myself, some speedrunners, and some Twitch staff members had a Skype conversation about this. Twitch staff were rather opposed to lengthening the Highlight VODs because of storage concerns, despite deleting petabytes of past broadcasts.

Breaking up highlights reminds me of when we had to record our speedruns in 2 hour chunks via DVD recorder. A bad limitation of old technology. Yet here we are in 2014 and we are having our content once again broken up into 2 hour segments. This severely impacts the usability of highlights. I have legitimate use cases for long highlights, as we archive our best speedrun times and use the VOD as proof. See:http://zeldaspeedruns.com/leaderboards/tww/any[1] .

Forget all that, though. The 2 hour highlight limit is nothing compared to Content ID matching.
Applying Content ID matches on gaming music on a site that was built to stream videogames is absurd. Game music directly from the capture of the game itself is being taken down all over. Dealing with YouTube's overzealous policies on gaming content has been one of the most obnoxious things I've experienced as a content creator, and one of the reasons Twitch felt like home to me is because it's supposed to be a website focused on gaming content creation.

It certainly doesn't seem to be working out like that, though. Maybe it is due to needing to keep the company sustainable. Maybe it is fear of copyright issues now that Twitch has grown so much. Whatever it is, it is significantly impacting the user experience.

I have cancelled all my subscriptions and I will not renew Turbo. I am currently looking for alternative sites to stream on (perhaps hitbox.tv). The least I can do is give an alternative site a try, even if it hurts my income. I do hope an alternate site could work out, because Twitch has a near-monopoly on live gaming content at the moment.

I'm simply finding it rather hard to support a site that is so afraid of a legal grey-area that it pre-emptively begins to sabotage a large portion of its user base.
My question to you: Why should I keep streaming on Twitch as opposed to a different site that has none of these issues?

-Cosmo Wright
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:15 pm

LOL, even Twitch's own stuff is getting hit.

Twitch Implements Rigorous System For Blocking Copyrighted Audio ObyLt2U
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:16 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:The system will only be used for pre-recorded video on demand, according to Twitch. They say that they won't be scanning live broadcasts, and that the system won't automatically take content down. 

Don't know anyone here would be affected.

trust me they say that but  admins have already been  in some of the bigger streamers channel  warning them about it
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Well then that is a huge fail on their part.  Looks like they hit the autodestruct button.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:15 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:Well then that is a huge fail on their part.  Looks like they hit the autodestruct button.

Yep, they better hit the panic button pretty quick and figure out how to backtrack on this or modify it somehow.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down