Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PS4 can't even play discs until you update it?

5 posters

Go down

PS4 can't even play discs until you update it? Empty PS4 can't even play discs until you update it?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 pm

PS4 System Software Update 1.50 Details

Am I reading this part wrong?  Is it basically just a brick until you connect and update it?

• Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
    Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Also...

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game.

I thought that was a huge selling point for the PS4 was it not?
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

PS4 can't even play discs until you update it? Empty Re: PS4 can't even play discs until you update it?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Also, I'm well aware of the update that you must do for the XB1 to work properly also, I'm just surprised that Sony has waited until 3 weeks until launch to make all of this public.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

PS4 can't even play discs until you update it? Empty Re: PS4 can't even play discs until you update it?

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Not really any different than the XB1.  Day 1 update is required for offline play meaning it's also a brick until you connect and update it.  Both companies were hurt by trying to add features in order to compete with the other at the last minute.  I expect rushing to launch also effects a lot of the ability to include in the hardware.  Both consoles also have several features that will not be available at launch.  Price you pay for early adoptions.  You can also expect problems, glitches and more issues to arise directly after launch.

EDIT: Of course, adding these features to compete is also good for the consumer.  Both consoles have features they would not have had.  Just might have to wait a while before all of it is realized fully.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:41 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Not really any different than the XB1.  Day 1 update is required for offline play meaning it's also a brick until you connect and update it.  Both companies were hurt by trying to add features in order to compete with the other at the last minute.  I expect rushing to launch also effects a lot of the ability to include in the hardware.  Both consoles also have several features that will not be available at launch.  Price you pay for early adoptions.  You can also expect problems, glitches and more issues to arise directly after launch.
The main thing that surprises me is the PS4 inability to do the suspend/resume mode.  I thought that was one of their major talking points since the revealed in February.  There will definitely be growing pains on both sides, I'm just surprised that it seems neither of them were anywhere near ready for this.  

I'm beginning to wonder if they both planned on actually releasing next year but pushed releases up so they could outdo the other guy...at the expense of gamers everywhere.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Could be.  I sure felt this next generation was about a year early.  But realistically, even with another year, some features would still not be available at launch.  It's just the nature of things.  Especially when trying to 1-up the competition.

Also, not sure if I understand it correctly, but in response to your original question, I think it will still play games offline right out of the box.  It's only the DVD/Blu-ray movie player that needs an update to work.  

And the suspend/resume feature is a very nice feature to have.  I hope it get updated quickly.  It's definitely one of the things about the next gen systems that I was looking forward to.  Basically the same as XB1's "snap to" feature.  The idea of instantly and seamlessly switching for one thing to another is great. 

The other big one I am looking forward to is the play as you download feature.  Glad that will be available at launch at least.  I also like the day 1 digital distribution stuff.  Fortunately, that has been available for a while on the PSN and next gen titles are already available for pre-order so it looks like Sony is right on track for that too.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Meh figured  updates would be need but update for disc drive to work is a little funny

and as long as PS4 is   not like it was on ps3 the update took sooooooo long
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm

My god the amount of internet crying that would have happened about the PS4 had they said this at E3 and the XBO just kept quiet.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:
Also, not sure if I understand it correctly, but in response to your original question, I think it will still play games offline right out of the box.  It's only the DVD/Blu-ray movie player that needs an update to work.  
This is what I was thinking and I think that they just didn't word it properly.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down