Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price

2 posters

Go down

Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price Empty Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Back in June, IGN reported comments from multiple sources stating the Eye camera was left out of PlayStation 4 bundles in order to compete with the Xbox One on price. During an interview with Business Spectator (via Engadget), Sony confirmed the company tried to include the camera in the $400 bundle, but ultimately couldn't afford more loss.

Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price Ps4eyebundle-610x343

"Certainly for the earlier part of the lifecycle, the vast majority of the audience that we speak to tells us that their primary wish is for the full controller interface and there's not necessarily a huge emphasis being placed on camera interaction," said Sony Computer Entertainment president Andrew House.
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest divisions between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is price. Microsoft decided to push the Kinect as a packed-in piece of tech in its $500 Xbox One launch, while Sony's Masayasu Ito claims $400 is the "magic price" for the PlayStation 4. Sony's next-gen console is allegedly already selling at a $60 loss per unit.

The big question, of course, is how gamers and developers will respond to the fragmented install base of the new PlayStation Eye. While the Xbox One may cost $100 more, each unit will feature a Kinect, meaning early adopters may be more open to using the motion-sensing device in games. House reiterated the PlayStation Eye could show up in later bundles, but it still means the PlayStation 4 will launch with cool toys--like Playroom--many people won't have the ability to play.
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price Empty Re: Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 pm

From what I understand the little colored light things on all the DS4 controllers were meant to be used specifically with the Eye also, so there's technically no point in that even being part of the controller now.  

I believe this is something that in the long run will hurt Sony (of course they'll still do fine) regarding the future of the consoles.  MS is going to do some amazing stuff with the Kinect, as already seen with the Xbox One Fitness program.  They've always seemed to be a few steps behind in innovating, which is why ultimately I decided to go with the XB1.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price Empty Re: Sony: PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Removed from Bundle Over Price

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 pm

i cant blame sony if there already taking a $60 hit on the nose just to stay under price of MS    im sure that camera is worth more then another 40 bucks   which means if they keeped it all there ps4 would be over xb1 on price so sony is already losing alot of money just to say its 100 bucks cheaper then xb1

but i do agree that going to nerf the controller and any game what was using that system
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't blame Sony really either.  It's a business decision in the end, I just think they have a hard time looking years into the future and set themselves up to be out innovated.  The PS4 will still be a good console with plenty of great games.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down