Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players

+3
S7 OC
S7 KnightOwl
S7 Sticky
7 posters

Go down

Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players Empty Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players

Post by S7 Sticky Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 pm

that would make this whole thing alot better for used games players

According to an updated report by EuroGamer there will be a used game activation fee, however, this charge will fall on game retailers not on players.

Eurogamer spoke with high ranking UK industry sources who reported that game retailers will have to pay the fee and therefore what price gamers see in the store is the price they need to pay. Microsoft hasn’t chosen the activation fee yet and a £35 figure per game has been quoted, but this reportedly includes the retailer’s sale price too, so the actual activation fee is probably a lot lower.

The industry sources also went on to confirm that part of the activation fee will go to Microsoft and part will go to the publisher. In general then what this means is that Microsoft essentially dictates what second hand games cost because they control the activation fees which dictate the price to a large extent. While the fee is paid by the retailer, the retailer will simply past this cost on to the Gamers/Players/Customers with higher prices as they still have profit margins to maintain. This means in essence that the player does pay, just not directly.

It looks like the days of cheap used games are over. What are your thoughts on this?
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players Empty Re: Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players

Post by S7 KnightOwl Mon May 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Makes me wonder how much a subscription to gamefly will cost now.
S7 KnightOwl
S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

Back to top Go down

Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players Empty Re: Retailers Have To Pay Used Game Activation Fee For Xbox One Games, Not Players

Post by S7 OC Mon May 27, 2013 5:34 pm

That would be good but if game fly fees go up I will have to think hard about keeping game fly

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick Mon May 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Two things though. Retailers will sell game as they see fit price wise and m$ and developer get percentage of the resale. Im fine with that. My main beef would be places like red box wouldnt rent games anymore maybe gamefly will raise fee but more than that what if I want yo borrow my brother game to play.
DerangeMaverick
DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : DerangeMaverick

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 am

Gamefly will most likely have to raise it's rates so much that it's toast...for the XBone anyways.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue May 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Or they just partner up and use digital distribution... seems like an obvious choice to me.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Recently released used games are usually only a few bucks cheaper than new ones, which is a still a "deal". Used games that have been recently released usually sell for 45-55$. To keep used games attractive Gamestop will certainly eat the activation cost or risk losing a rather lucrative business. That being said I could see the minimum cost Gamestop charges on older games (5-10$) go up to cover the activation cost.

P.S. Sticky your sig made me laugh.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm

S7 Zalacious wrote:

P.S. Sticky your sig made me laugh.

thank u sir
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down