Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College football

5 posters

:: General :: Sports

Go down

College football Empty College football

Post by S7 OC Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Just a few more games to decide who we get the chance to play in the bcs championship game
Looks like top three Notre Dame, Alabama and Georgia. A few big games left to decide.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

College football Empty Re: College football

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 pm

One more win next Saturday and the Huskers will be playing in the Rose Bowl!!

Of all the possibilities of the BCS Championship, I'm not liking any of them. I was rooting for Kansas State just for the old Big 8 ties to Nebraska and the fact that I'm sick of the SEC being in the NCG.

If ND wins tonight then it will be ND vs. either Alabama or Georgia. If ND loses tonight it will be 2 SEC teams. Not appealing to me at all, but being the huge CFB fan I am I will still watch.

If ND is in the game I guess I'd root for them due to my niece being a huge fan of them and I'd like to see her happy about her team.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I am not a huge college football fan but have always watched ND and they have had some terrible years and it is nice to see them playing well.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm an MSU fan but this isn't their year so I'd like to see ND in the championship since their coach was my alma mater's coach when I was there and the team won 2 D2 tiles, a Harlan Hill and had the #1 D2 receiver. Good times! I didn't play but we went to Florence, AL to see them the first three years they went and had a blast and a TON of drinks.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by l Steel l Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 pm

sock where did u go to school at?

l Steel l
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:09 am

Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI. Kelly was head coach and Martin was a coordinator when GVSU won their national titles. After Kelly left for D1, Martin became head coach. From what I hear, Kelly was always trying to get to the ND head coach spot and it was an understanding between him and Martin that if he did, no matter where Martin was that he would come to ND as one of Kelly's coordinators. It's good to see them in a national title game again. And if they can bring what they did at GVSU to ND, there won't be another decade or so of ND being mediocre, they'll have the potential to become a real powerhouse.

Here's some info on Kelly and Martin from the ND website:

Brian Kelly at GVSU:

Kelly arrived at Central Michigan after winning the back-to-back NCAA Division II national titles at Grand Valley State in Allendale, Mich. The all-time winningest program in NCAA Division II history, the Lakers were 41-2 in Kelly's final three seasons, at one point winning 32 consecutive games. Grand Valley State went 14-0 in 2002 en route to its first national title and was 14-1 in 2003 when it claimed its second crown. Kelly was named the AFCA Division II Coach of the Year after both seasons.

Kelly led the Lakers to five conference titles (1992-97-98-2001-02) and six Division II playoff appearances in his 13 seasons at Grand Valley. The Lakers never finished lower than third in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletics Conference.

Kelly mentored a pair of finalists for the Harlon Hill Award, presented annually to the top player in Division II. Quarterback Curt Anes won the award in 2002 after finishing as runner-up in 2001. He threw for 10,581 career yards and 114 TD passes - 48 in '01 and 47 in `02 (12 games with at least five TD passes). Anes still holds the NCAA Division II single-season passing efficiency record for '01 at 221.6 (189 for 271 for 3,086 yards, with 21 TDs, three interceptions). Quarterback Jeff Fox was third in the balloting in 1998, as he became the first Laker quarterback to throw for more than 2,000 in multiple seasons.

Kelly's Grand Valley State players earned 77 All-America awards (11 in 2002 alone). Four players moved on to the NFL and another three to the Canadian Football League.
His 2001 national runner-up squad set 77 NCAA, GLIAC and school records, including the all-time Division II scoring record by averaging 58.4 points per game (and an average victory margin of 48.0 points). The 2001 team also became the first Division II unit in 53 years to average more than 600 yards per game in total offense (600.Cool, leading the nation in that category.

Grand Valley State followed up its record-shattering 2001 season by averaging 497.5 yards and a nation-leading 46.7 points during its undefeated 2002 national championship run in which Kelly's squad went wire to wire as the top-rated Division II squad. That '02 campaign ended with a 31-24 championship game win over second-ranked and unbeaten Valdosta State - as All-America receiver David Kircus caught passes for 270 yards and three TDs. Kircus holds the NCAA Division II season record for TD receptions with 35 in '02, catching at least one TD pass in 24 straight games in 2001-02. He ended his career with 4,142 receiving yards and 76 TD catches and led the nation (Division II) in scoring in both '01 and '02.

The 2003 team, meanwhile, became more noted for its defense, leading the country in rushing defense at 62.0 yards per game. The Lakers defeated North Dakota 10-3 in the 2003 national title game (played annually in Florence, Ala.). In 10 of his 13 seasons at Grand Valley State, Kelly's teams won eight or more games - and he finished with a 103-22-2 mark in GLIAC contests. The seniors on his final team in '03 won 47 of their final 49 games (and finished 34-4 in four seasons of GLIAC play) and won 20 straight games in 2002-03. Kicker David Hendrix led the nation in '03 with 25 field goals.

Chuck Martin at GVSU:

• Prior to coming to Notre Dame, Martin was head coach at Grand Valley State for six seasons, following Kelly who served as the Lakers head coach from 1991-2003. While coaching the NCAA Division II school in Allendale, Mich., Martin directed the Lakers offense, continuing the same offensive system Kelly installed.

• From 2004-09, the Grand Valley State offense led by Martin averaged 35.1 points per game, 427 total yards and 208 rushing yards per game.

• The Lakers ranked in the top 25 nationally in total offense in five of six seasons and ranked in the top 27 in scoring offense in all but one season.

• Grand Valley State scored at least 30 points in 56 of 81 games and scored at least 40 points in 34 contests.

• Martin produced quarterbacks that became finalists for the Harlon Hill Award, presented annually to the NCAA Division II Player of the Year, four times in six years (Cullen Finnerty in 2006; Brad Iciek from 2007-09).

• Grand Valley State's starting quarterbacks combined to throw 184 TDs and only 41 interceptions (average of 31 TDs and 7 INTs per season) under Martin and had an average passer efficiency mark of 159.9 in his six years directing the offense (a 159.9 efficiency rating in 2011 would have ranked 10th in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision).

• Martin's offense produced a 1,000-yard rusher in all six seasons he was in control of the Lakers offense. Four of the top 10 single-season rushing leaders and five of the 11 best single-season passing seasons happened from 2004-09.

• Grand Valley State's all-time leaders in career rushing and passing played for Martin and seven offensive players earned Associated Press first-team All-America accolades under Martin's watch.

• Led Grand Valley State University to two NCAA Division II national championships and won over 91 percent of his games as Lakers' head coach.

So, as you can see these two can build a dynasty and win championships and I bet the ND fans don't mind having them at their school.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 am

Well I am really happy about Georgia being in the mix. We still have to beat Alabama and that looks to be a tall order. Then the winner gets Notre Dame.

I think the SEC champ will be a favorite to beat ND no matter whether its UGA or BAMA.

The last time UGA won the National Championship was 1980 vs a Notre Dame so I am hoping for a rematch and the same outcome.
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by l Steel l Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 pm

i graduated from CMU and he was there for a little bit. so thats why i was asking.

i went to the gv vs sv game a few years ago in saginaw, was a crazy night

l Steel l
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:36 pm

l Steel l wrote:i graduated from CMU and he was there for a little bit. so thats why i was asking.

i went to the gv vs sv game a few years ago in saginaw, was a crazy night

Battle of the Valleys is always a good game, even if one or both teams are playing garbage for the season.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down