Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verizon's big announcement today

+7
S7 Big M Easy
S7 wonky
Atrum
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Jwriter
S7 OC
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Verizon's big announcement today Empty Verizon's big announcement today

Post by S7 OC Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 am

Verizon has a big press conference planed for today 11est to announce the verizon iPhone. How many current iphone owners would be switching to verizon? Pros and cons?

I am going to be staying with AT&T and what I have for now as the competition will only make things better and I don't have to many complaints about AT&T

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Verizon's big announcement today Empty Re: Verizon's big announcement today

Post by S7 Jwriter Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 am

I'm cool with AT&T too. I don't have any problems in my area. Plus, I don't wanna have to pay a cancellation fee. When Mandy upgraded her phone over the summer, we had to renew our contract. So, we're in our current contract for a while.

Now, I might have to go out of pocket if they release a 4G iPhone on AT&T's network this summer....and of course I'll be getting the new iPad when it's released this summer...and Mandy will get my current one...see how that works, Kev?
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Jwriter

http://www.lovethatphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Hellogiraffe Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am

I know a ton of people that will be jumping ship. Personally, I have great 3G coverage down here and there's only two spots I know of where I really lose cell reception, yet I know people who don't get Verizon coverage in their own house. If anything, a bunch of people switching can be a good thing as the iPhone users are the ones slowing down the network so it will only get better.
S7 Hellogiraffe
S7 Hellogiraffe
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Hellogiraffe

https://sacredseven.forumotion.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 am

I don't have the iPhone but know a lot of people that will be leaving AT&T and have always wondered why the iPhone couldn't have been exclusively on Verizon long time ago. AT&T was smart to grab iPhone first, and lock it in but now people will certainly leave.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am

Actually Steve Jobs offered the exclusivity to Verizon originally but they laughed and didn't think apple could pull off an iphone. That is how At&t got the contract.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 am

One of the best features they are adding and announced is this
"Can also act as Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five devices."
I hope At&t follows suite and becomes very competitive with what Verizon will be doing with the iphone.
So how much of the rest of the smart phone market on verizon will be cannibalized by the iphone?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm

S7 OC wrote:Actually Steve Jobs offered the exclusivity to Verizon originally but they laughed and didn't think apple could pull off an iphone. That is how At&t got the contract.

I really wish I could see some company big wigs laugh at steve jobs. I feel like a lot of people would pay to see that.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:19 pm

one big down side to the current verizon network with the iphone is the ability to talk and use the data network for any thing at the same time.

"For those who are interested in the Verizon iPhone, one of the most pressing questions was whether or not the phone would be able to allow simultaneous use of data and voice. This is currently not possible on Verizon's CDMA network, and is sure to be one of the big points in future AT&T advertising. Since the Verizon iPhone operates on the CDMA network, it will not be able to handle voice and data at the same time.

When you get a phone call while using data on a CDMA phone right now, that phone call goes directly to voice mail. that phone call interrupts the data connection. Likewise, you need to hang up voice calls before trying to bring up websites or capture other data. Want to use that built-in tethering app to send a 3G signal to five devices? Just don't try to talk on the phone at the same time.

This will not happen if and when Verizon and Apple create an LTE-based iPhone. LTE can handle both data and voice at the same time, as it is based on the current iPhone's GSM technology."

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:29 pm

All that's great but Verizon's commercials will say with Verizon the calls are clear, crisp and rarely ever get dropped. AT&T can do data and voice at the same time-- but none of it is done well.

If it's a superbowl commercial and a bunch of guys with his friends they will just say "make the switch, b1tch" LOL
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm

I have to disagree I can be on a call and send out emails checking for reservations and what not and browse the web all done well at least in my area were I have agood At&t connection

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 pm

S7 OC wrote:I have to disagree I can be on a call and send out emails checking for reservations and what not and browse the web all done well at least in my area were I have agood At&t connection

same besides alot of people are under contract
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 pm

S7 OC wrote:Actually Steve Jobs offered the exclusivity to Verizon originally but they laughed and didn't think apple could pull off an iphone. That is how At&t got the contract.

The rumor and I don't know the truth of it was apple wanted money per phone and verizon told em to go make a pearl. Could be bs but that was the rumor
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Big M Easy

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:56 pm

S7 OC wrote:Verizon has a big press conference planed for today 11est to announce the verizon iPhone. How many current iphone owners would be switching to verizon? Pros and cons?

I am going to be staying with AT&T and what I have for now as the competition will only make things better and I don't have to many complaints about AT&T

I'm already with Verizon and will be picking one up when i'm eligible for an upgrade. I've wanted one for a while but I wasn't going to switch services just to get a phone.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am

So now it seems that apple in the next update will have the hot spot capability for all phones depending apon the carrier.
"One of the major new features offered with the Verizon iPhone 4 announced today is support for turning the device into a personal hotspot allowing up to five Wi-Fi devices to share the iPhone's cellular data connection. Personal hotspot support comes built directly into the operating system of the Verizon iPhone 4, which is running a new iOS 4.2.5.

According to both iPhoneclub.nl [Google translation] and iPhoneHellas [Google translation], Apple will be bringing the same personal hotspot support to current GSM iPhones with a forthcoming iOS 4.3 update.

The catch is that the functionality is also subject to the approval of individual carriers, requiring them to be onboard for allowing their customers to access the feature. For its part, AT&T has said that it is "evaluating" the hotspot feature and that it has "no plans to announce today".

Despite support for somewhat-similar Internet tethering via USB and Bluetooth included in iPhone OS 3.0 released in mid-2009 and with a number of international carriers moving quickly to support the feature, AT&T waited an entire year as it cited concerns over network performance before finally supporting the feature with the release of iOS 4.0."

If At&t is smart they will allow this to happen and match the price or better what verizon is going to do with it.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 am

Hopefully, with Verizon entering the picture, ATT will become more competitive and add the feature as well. A wifi hot spot is something I have been looking at for a while now and is the main reason I got the wifi only iPad. I always figured that if I ever wanted mobile connectivity I would get a myfi hot spot. This would kill two birds with one stone.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am

I know the controversy will continue and everyone has their decisions, but I have BlackBerry w/ Verizon...and I'm telling you guys Verizon is the better deal. No matter where we are (sometimes the desolate woods of West Virginia) my phone is always up and running while my wife and daughter on AT&T and Sprint have problems bouncing and roaming.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 am

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:I know the controversy will continue and everyone has their decisions, but I have BlackBerry w/ Verizon...and I'm telling you guys Verizon is the better deal. No matter where we are (sometimes the desolate woods of West Virginia) my phone is always up and running while my wife and daughter on AT&T and Sprint have problems bouncing and roaming.

I agree I have much better luck with verizon than with any of the other guys. I also know it can vary depending on your region as to who is better.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:23 am

indeed. In general ATT is much better in my part of the woods but Verizon is #2 and have been growing the area a lot in the last few years so I could go with either.

The bigger problem I have is that I have a KILLER rate plan that I have been grandfathered into for years now. I get 450 anytime mins w/ rollover, 5000 night and weekend and unlimited mobile to mobile for $39.99 and UNLIMITED date for $30.00. (Read Unlimited calling AND data for $69.99). It's a pretty sweet deal and coverage is pretty good in my area so I'll have to stick with ATT for now. I'd have to be a really amazing deal to get me to switch.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 am

and possibly be a free feature or on the cheaper side at the very least

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

S7 OC wrote:and possibly be a free feature or on the cheaper side at the very least

The only way I could see it as being free would be as a marketing ploy playing off of verizon because they charge $30 to use the feature.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 am

Won't be free. Just like Tethering right now. The feature will cost you. My guess is $30 a month, on top of you data plan.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:54 am

Verizon has it as a free feature on the Palm phone (no sure wich one)
I think it will end up being cheaper than $30 this will be a feature were At&t could hold on to a few customers if the under cut what Verizon does

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am

S7 OC wrote:Verizon has it as a free feature on the Palm phone (no sure wich one)
I think it will end up being cheaper than $30 this will be a feature were At&t could hold on to a few customers if the under cut what Verizon does

It may be bundled into the data plan on that specific phone, I know its not free on my droid or the wife's lg.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:03 pm

... or any other hot spot device on the market today. Tethering costs an addition $15-$30 (depending on the rate plan) right now on ATT and that only allows one device via USB. There in no way wifi for 5 devices will be free.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm

The feature looks to be coming to all iPhones in iOS 4.3...
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next