Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

+11
Evol Recovery
S7 Nate
Shuntentatsu
S7 Coolhand
S7 Skandelous
S7 Epic
S7 Sticky
S7 mrmiller
Xpert2010
Atrum
OneBadHuskerFan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies Empty Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Edit:  It is not a rumor, it is true.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Last edited by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies Empty Re: Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

Post by Atrum Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Again on the work links, basically just an article saying MS 'is' reversing their DRM stance/policies?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies Empty Re: Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

They either have pulled it already or their site is getting hammered and won't load right now.  Luckily I took a screenshot.  Very Happy

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies 5FYHqK0
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Sources indicate Microsoft is going to move away much of what's caused the company so much headache.
The tug-of-war between Microsoft and Sony just got more interesting. Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
It is unclear what caused this huge change in policy right after E3, a week where Microsoft executives spent days explaining, justifying, and talking about its policies to the press. I suspect Microsoft’s official announcement will say something to the effect of “we've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”

Based on what I’m being told, that’s definitely true.

Microsoft has taken an enormous amount of heat regarding DRM policies with its new console. Sony became consumer heroes at E3, announcing PlayStation 4 would not treat used games differently, and the status quo would reign. The company released this video, twisting the knife
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm

I think have it work like the 360 when offline (having the disc in the drive) would combat many of the piracy issues.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:19 pm

thats what i think if you cant check in every 24 hours  all they have to do is say you MUST have the Game disc in at all time to play the game... that would fix the 24 your fucked rule...

i hope this is true and MS finally got the point both gamers and Sony hammered into them and if they do fix these issues i know alot of people wont mind paying $100 bucks more for a XB1  over getting a ps4

Sony had it right they heard the crap MS was putting on gamers and they thought hmmmm lets makes ALot of money and dont do that
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:27 pm

If this is true, I think I'll be a bit dissapointed.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Well, seems this COULD be true.  Somebody screenshotted this before the link on MS got pounded, lol.

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies Xboxupdatedfphd
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

B...But what will Zak have to bash on now? :'(

Lol, jk jk
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 pm

AtrumX wrote:B...But what will Zak have to bash on now? :'(

Lol, jk jk

lol, I was thinking the same thing
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Aaaaaaaaaand, it's true...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I hope there's still a way to play discless.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 pm

S7 Epic wrote:I hope there's still a way to play discless.
Well, they do mention that you'll still be able to download the digital game the day of release, so I assume you don't have to have the disc.  The main thing is that you just won't be able to share those digital titles in a "Family Share" scenario anymore since they're squashing that.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Yep, dissapointed.  Still going to get the Xbox One, but dissapointed that they seriously listened to all of the stupid cunts who were trolling on everything Xbox, good and bad.  I think their gamble would have paid off over time, obviously not right at launch. uhg
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Yeah, no Family share is a big disappointment for me. That was actually a pretty big selling point. I'll still be getting both though (eventually)
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Well, I hope to still see some sort of sharing. Maybe it will go the route Steam looks to be moving, as really that is what MS (and the game developers) are after- more digital content and less physical: http://news.yahoo.com/steam-show-microsoft-xbox-one-game-lending-done-175053878.html

For Atrum at work:
Critics have blasted Microsoft over its used game policy for its Xbox One gaming console. Games are locked to a user’s personal Xbox Live account and require a persistent Internet connection for verification. The company also gave developers the freedom to prevent games from being shared with friends or even sold at certain retailers. In the wake of Microsoft’s bad press, gaming giant Steam appears to be preparing its own lending feature for its popular gaming marketplace.

One common complaint about Steam was a user’s inability to share games with friends, but newly discovered code suggests that the company is working on a “Shared Game Library.” A member of the popular gaming forum NeoGAF spotted the line of code, which specifically mentions sharing games with friends. The feature will allow a friend to play a specific title, although the lender and borrower will not be able to play at the same time.

A snippet of Steam’s code follows below.
“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title” “Shared game library”
“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText” “Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it’s time to quit.”
“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText” “This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library.”

So you can share any digital game like a physical one, and just like the physical one, it can only be played one at a time.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Skandelous Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Sucks, i was looking forward to raiding josh's library since he buys d@mn near every game XD
S7 Skandelous
S7 Skandelous
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Skandelous1

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm

I wonder how many people's console decision this will affect.  Gotta say they have played this brilliantly by stirring up the controversy and then reversing the decisions, with a bonus of coinciding with the fail update that bricked a lot of PS3's.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:I wonder how many people's console decision this will affect.  Gotta say they have played this brilliantly by stirring up the controversy and then reversing the decisions, with a bonus of coinciding with the fail update that bricked a lot of PS3's

Congrats, out of all the comments I've seen since this announcement yours has to be the most moronic and ignorant.
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : shuntentatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 pm

S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Nate Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Wouldn't have affected my decision to buy an xbox one, but I do admit it probably would have been a costly mistake had they not reversed.

I've heard alot of people (in person) say they wouldn't buy the box since it wouldnt work if we got deployed and couldn't play offline.
S7 Nate
S7 Nate
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Nate64D

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Shuntentatsu wrote:
S7 Coolhand wrote:I wonder how many people's console decision this will affect.  Gotta say they have played this brilliantly by stirring up the controversy and then reversing the decisions, with a bonus of coinciding with the fail update that bricked a lot of PS3's

Congrats, out of all the comments I've seen since this announcement yours has to be the most moronic and ignorant.
I think you topped it with that one. Seriously though, at least point out why you think he is moronic AND ignorant (an interesting choice given that calling someone a moron implies mental retardation - generally something only an ignorant person would say)
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Recovery Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 am

I was thinking it but thanks for saying it Atrum. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : PSN.....Evolrevel

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 am

Kenny's comments are just childish and lacking any validity.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 am

S7 SockPuppet wrote:Kenny's comments are just childish and lacking any validity.
For a second I thought you said "and lacking any vitality", which would have been clever.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next