Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Design - Level Ideas

+2
Atrum
S7 Epic
6 posters

Go down

Game Design - Level Ideas Empty Game Design - Level Ideas

Post by S7 Epic Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:24 pm

For one of my uni assignment I have to create a a game level, well, the environment at least. No gameplay is required.

Originally, I assumed gameplay would be needed and thought of a really cool idea for a Left 4 Dead 2 map but since only a level is required i've decided to focus on something that I create a lot of custom objects, textures, etc. which nets me more marks.

Anyway, basically, I got an 85 for my last game dev assignment and i'm looking to break the 90 barrier with this one, some if you guys can think of any themes or ideas for me to ponder over please feel free to list them.

Also, for those that are interested, here is some work from another assignment (Half-Life 2 level using Hammer, which sucks is a really sucky toolset) which took me 4 days to make, during which I spent about 70 hours creating it and a further 10 playtesting. Needless to say I went through lots of Relentless and Dorito's over those four days.

It's quite a short level and it's a fast run-through as well, as there was a time limit for the video (which is gay) I was also showing off the stuff that we get marked on, hence me making a point of shooting out lights, vents, etc. in the video....

I'll be using the Unity 3D engine for this next assignment, so it should look a lot better. I may even do a work log on here (or the Unity forums) so you can see it develop.

It's a free engine and is great for people looking into creating their own games. You can use it to develop for Windows/Mac/iPhone at the moment, 360 and PS3 support are coming soon when Unity 3.0 releases.....oh, and it's FREE. http://unity3d.com/

But yeah, anyway, as I said, anything you'd like to see or think would be cool (graphically), post here.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Game Design - Level Ideas Empty Re: Game Design - Level Ideas

Post by Atrum Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Nice video. I'll post something useful later.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm

that was actually pretty cool, good job
S7 KnightOwl
S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Decided, in the end, to go with a fantasy, Epic, LOTR-esque level.

Here's a little preview of the terrain itself. Got all the water an whatnot done but some of the texturing needs some finer detail but that will go in last when everything gets polished up. Just getting some 3D modelling done now to make some custom buildings and objects, etc. Bit of a hassle as i'm a novice at 3D modelling but i've had some decent results so far. Just wish I had more time to be a little more extravagant with the modelling.

Anyway, here's the screenie -

Game Design - Level Ideas Screencapture4e

I'll post more later on, when I have some models in, or something new in the terrain, like improved lighting or some particle effects.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Very nice so far. Keep us up to date.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Not bad epic. Any screens of closer textures? Or not ready for that yet?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 am

Great looking video Epic.

Here's my video game idea - get to work already!

Your avatar is a commander of a unit of forces - you can choose between infantry, cavalry, pikemen, artilery (siege weapons), archers... etc. in a ancient/Medieval/semi-modern setting depending on the level - for ancient you would see the archers using slings, the artilery would be balistas or catapults; medieval would have longbows, trebutchets, etc; semi-modern would have rudimentary rifles and cannons (not so sure this would be part of it). Oh, and war elephants - gotta have those.

In solo campaign you would control the General's unit (which is the Cosul/General/Emperor), but in Multiplayer this would be an NPC with a historically accurate AI.

Basically it's a team oriented game where working with your teammates to best deploy, move, and command your unit of troops to develope a battlefield strategy to combat the opposing army and tactics like flanking or breaking the line is the primary focus. There would still be some individual fighting elements to it, but the battle would really be won or lost by the teamwork between the different player controlled squads. Those pikemen can keep the cavalry from flanking and devestating the forces from behind, but not if the archers don't keep the sword swingers at bay.

Some maps would have defenders inside a fort/castle/camp and attackers laying siege. Some would be open battlefields with rivers/bridges and other elements to make it interesting. Most or all of these scenarios could be derived from historic battlefields. The commander unit would have a historic leader like Alexander, Hannibal, etc.

Maybe incorporate a battlefield buff if a secret temple is captured and tribute payed to whatever gods are popular in that time frame.

I know this isn't really simple enough for one person to design, but for a new/young studio this could be a ground breaker. I don't feel like this kind of game exists yet, at least not with the depth in battlefield tactics that I would want to see.

Before the battle there could be a planning session (on timer) to set out the deployments and initial movements and overall strategy. In battle the tactics would be more based on communication via headset or quick request (ie with my infantry unit in the middle of the line getting trampled by war elephants my directional pad right = "the line is breaking - archers concentrate fire" and d-pad left = "under attack from cavalry - pikemen come to our aid").

Trebia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_Trebia-numbers.svg

Lake Trasimene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_of_lake_trasimene.gif

Cannae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_of_Cannae,_215_BC_-_Initial_Roman_attack.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_cannae_destruction.gif

That's just 3 quick examples for Hannibal. There are many many historic battles that could be used.
Depending on the outcomes of these battles, history could be changed. Rome vs Carthage, Romans vs Slave Rebellions, Mongolian Khans vs Ottoman Turks, Alexander vs Indians, Cleopatra vs Romans, Germanic Tribes vs Romans, Greeks vs Romans... and many more possibilities. History is full of wars, which were full of battles, which were full of commanders, strategies, and tactics.
This would have be glued to my 360 for weeks.

Last edited by S7 Coolhand on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 am; edited 3 times in total
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 am

Yea keep us up to date I would like to see how it turns out pretty good so far on the lay out, it's also pretty cool how dark it gets when you shoot out the light. I really hate when you shoot one out and you can still see like 50ft in front of you, makes it more of a tense situation IMO not knowing what's what, when, and where it's coming from. Nice job though Epic keep up the good work mate lol.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 am

AtrumX wrote:Not bad epic. Any screens of closer textures? Or not ready for that yet?

Not ready for that yet, those ones are just placeholders as standard resolution. I haven't decided on how far the camera will zoom in yet, as that will obv. affect the final decision on textures.

Thanks for the info Luke, i've often thought of a game like that. I think that type of thing is what is missing from Total War, and tbh, a lot of RTS games.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 am

Cool cool. I can't wait to see a more final version.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Hand -in is on the 29th, so i'll make sure to post up what I submit, whatever state it's in.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:47 pm

In any case it should be good to see just keep up the good work practice makes perfect.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down