Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked

+3
S7 Coolhand
OneBadHuskerFan
S7 OC
7 posters

Go down

Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked Empty Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked

Post by S7 OC Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 am

Destiny's competitive multiplayer won't be available the second you boot the game up for the first time.
Bungie has revealed to Eurogamer that, unlike Halo, you'll need to unlock Player vs Player (PvP) gameplay, which should take you around a couple of hours. Once you've done this with one character, however, it'll be available to all of your other ones too.
Explaining why this decision was made, the developer's Tyson Green said, "We found early on that people here in the studio, when they jumped on the game – these were people who were already really familiar with the game mechanics – they would roll a new character, play through the first mission then go right into PvP, and they would just get really beaten up by the other players because they didn’t have a super ability yet and they’d only got an auto rifle from the first mission.
"And they said, ‘this is really awful, this is a terrible experience!’ And we said, ‘you’re right, we have to make sure that doesn’t really happen.’
"So when your first character unlocks PvP, you’re a little bit further into the game. You’ve probably done one or two of the campaign missions, probably unlocked a special weapon and your super ability. And then once that’s happened we unlock it for all the characters on your account. Once you know how the game works, if you want to take a Hunter into PvP at level three, yeah, we’re okay with that. You know what the game is at that point, so that’s your decision to make."

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked Empty Re: Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am

I read about this yesterday.  I have no problem with them doing it this way.  Gives people a couple hours to get used to the game controls, weapons, grenades, etc.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked Empty Re: Destinys multiplayer will need to be unlocked

Post by S7 OC Thu May 01, 2014 10:00 am

Yeah I agree some what but I almost wish there were an option to skip that. Guys like us who have been playing for as long as we have I don't think learning a new game is going to be a big deal.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

It sounds reasonable to me.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

I like it.  They are trying to create a new experience and they have a vision for their game.  Good for them.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 am

I thought you guys that don't run campaign would have a problem. Some of you say you still have never played COD campaign...straight to MP day one.

I'm the opposite, as I always play campaign so I see no problem. Just thought I'd hear more belly aching coming from the gallery on this decision....pleasantly surprised.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am

Guess I'll have to play some single player again...
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 am

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:I thought you guys that don't run campaign would have a problem. Some of you say you still have never played COD campaign...straight to MP day one.

I'm the opposite, as I always play campaign so I see no problem. Just thought I'd hear more belly aching coming from the gallery on this decision....pleasantly surprised.

Personally I play part of the campaign normally. I just lose interest generally before the end. I have finished a few but the difference here for me is that I am NOT buying this game to play PvP. I am buying this game first and foremost as SP/Co-Op. As such, I am thrilled that the PvP is more integrated into the overall story of the game. Just like the PvE events, raids etc... This is all about a slick, one world, unified experience and it's looking better and better every day.

P.S. I got Halo for the story too.  Didn't every play MP till after I finished the story.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:I thought you guys that don't run campaign would have a problem. Some of you say you still have never played COD campaign...straight to MP day one.

I'd rather enjoy playing co-op like on Borderlands than playing PvP.  My only "fear" is this game becoming a PvP fest and them focusing more and more on that instead of the MMO parts.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu May 01, 2014 2:48 pm

I really don't think it is going to be mmo more fps rpg then real mmo

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu May 01, 2014 2:54 pm

S7 OC wrote:I really don't think it is going to be mmo more fps rpg then real mmo

There are public events, strikes and raids so there's definitely an MMO aspect to it.  I'm way more into that stuff than I ever would be in constantly playing PvP.  To each their own.  I'm not against people PvP'ing if that's what they like.  I just don't enjoy that as much as PvE.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 pm

S7 OC wrote:I really don't think it is going to be mmo more fps rpg then real mmo

While not a real MMO they are definitely going for a an MMO vibe.  It's all about a seamless living world and I would not be surprised if you have to travel to a specific location in-game to access PvP (and NOT through the main menu at launch).  Kind of like Cyrodiil in ESO.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:

There are public events, strikes and raids so there's definitely an MMO aspect to it.  I'm way more into that stuff than I ever would be in constantly playing PvP.  To each their own.  I'm not against people PvP'ing if that's what they like.  I just don't enjoy that as much as PvE.

They've been pretty clear that it's a FPS with MMO elements, or a "shared-world shooter". I definitely wouldn't expect PvE to be more prevalent than PvP. I think you'll be disappointed if you're planning on that being the majority of the game.

Last edited by AtrumX on Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 pm

AtrumX wrote:
OneBadHuskerFan wrote:

They've been pretty clear that it's a FPS with MMO elements, or a "shared-world shooter". I definitely wouldn't expect PvE to be more prevalent than PvP. I think you'll be disappointed if you're planning on that being the majority of the game.

It's very rare for me to think that "PvE to be more prevalent than PvE" in any game.  They are usually about the same lol Laughing
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Twisted Evil What?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm

And BTW, I actually am expecting the PvE to be more prevalent than PvP.  So far all I have seen of the game is PvE and it's all they have talked about to date.  SP/Co-Op and PvE events are what I am most interested.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 01, 2014 3:16 pm

That would be a pleasant surprise. I'm not counting on it, but we'll see.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu May 01, 2014 5:20 pm

I'll just keep an eye on this and see how the PS4 crew goes.  If it's popular I might pick it up but right now I'm undecided.  I thought Halo was enjoyable but didn't live up to all the hype so I'm skeptical that the same will happen here.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu May 01, 2014 5:20 pm

I'll just leave this here...

OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down