Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elder Scrolls Online Impressions

5 posters

Go down

Elder Scrolls Online Impressions Empty Elder Scrolls Online Impressions

Post by Xpert2010 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm

I've started playing the beta this weekend for Elder Scrolls Online.

One thing that I love is having a first person view that you see in previous Elder Scrolls games.  That is something you do not see in MMOs at all, so it's cool to see something like that.

I like having voiced conversations.  Just like what you'd expect in a Elder Scrollls title.

The environments are good too.  Obviously, they will not look as good as they would in Skyrim per say.  I started off on an island off of Skyrim in the game, and being able to recognize the scenery based on playing through Skyrim was neat.

I'm not a fan of the combat because my attacks just seem dull and lifeless.  There isn't any noticable cutting or gashing sounds that make me believe that I'm doing damage to enemies, instead it sounds more like I'm trying to cut open a feathered pillow.  This isn't a big deal to me as of now.

One big thing I enjoy about Skyrim and Oblivion is exploration.  You could happen across a dungeon, cave, fortress, etc... delve in it... and come out with better swords, armor and other items that you can use for yourself or sell to gain some cash.  Sometimes you'd end up finding a quest that would reveal some neat Elder Scrolls lore.  That doesn't seem to be the case in Elder Scrolls Online that I've seen so far.  Those landmarks that you see on the map really provide no reward when explored which means that there really is no incentive to just go to these places unless you have a quest to go to them. 

Also not a fan of the faction system that's set up.  If my friends want to be Redguards and I want to be an Argonian, then we're on separate factions.  We won't be questing together unless we all pick a race that resides within the same faction.  I like the idea of having factions in an Elder Scrolls game, but having three factions and limiting three races to each of them seems a bit unfair for players who played as a specific race they preferred in previous Elder Scrolls games, only to be forced to switch just because their friends like to play as something else.  I liked to play as Imperial, but I couldn't choose that because that's a limited edition only thing anyway. 

The game is kind of growing on me.  But with my initial beta impressions, I doubt I'd be getting this game at launch.  I'll probably be waiting for a price drop because $60 seems like a bit much of an initial investment for this game.

Last edited by Xpert2010 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Elder Scrolls Online Impressions Empty Re: Elder Scrolls Online Impressions

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Preorder to get any faction with any race.  And dont act like you have friends.   Laughing
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm

I can't freaking wait for this game!   Very Happy
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh, also keep in mind that you're still not playing the latest patched version of the game where PvE collision detection was implemented and you can skip the beginning starter islands if you want.  People playing on the PTS server say things are much, much better with their latest version.  Not saying that would be enough to sway somebody from not liking it to liking it all of a sudden but they are def. more positive about it now.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:24 am

I'm pretty sure I have the latest patch.  I hear the attacks, it's just not as pronounced that I would prefer I guess.  I'm trying to get into the game more.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 am

From the streams I've seen and the one I'm watching right now being in a guild/group is going to be awesome fun when PvP'ing also.  It's cool seeing a group of 15 organized guys running around and kicking ass.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:31 am

I'm kind of getting into it more.  I still stand by the points I've already made above, though I think I'm getting used to the attacks a bit more so it's not bothering me as much.  I know I definitely will not be getting this at either launch for PC or consoles, but I think ESO will be an MMO that I will keep an eye on.  I really like Elder Scrolls, so I really want this to be a good MMO.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:07 pm

It's been stated on the "official" ESO forums that the beta this weekend is still more of a stress test than an updated play test.  The version the beta testers are playing is still the last version and the PTS guys are running the latest version (.18) so if you're not running .18 then you're not getting the PvE collision detection, updated camera shake, starter island skipping, etc...and many of the latest improvements to actual gameplay.  I'm guessing the next beta will include that latest build.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 pm

im streaming it right meow
http://www.twitch.tv/s7_clan
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Decided to check out stream, and it started off with talk about man-whores, having sex with zombies, and necrophilia xD
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Xpert2010 wrote: lol! Decided to check out stream, and it started off with talk about man-whores, having sex with zombies, and necrophilia xD
It is josh after all....

lol!
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Big M Easy

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 am

sounds about right XD
S7 Sticky