Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages'

+5
Xpert2010
S7 Panzer
S7 mrmiller
Atrum
S7 OC
9 posters

Go down

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' Empty Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages'

Post by S7 OC Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 am

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' for limiting browser choice, Google nods in agreement
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/mozilla-slaps-windows-rt-as-a-return-to-the-digital-dark-ages/

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' Empty Re: Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages'

Post by Atrum Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 am

Lol I suppose if a major client said they were not allowing my search engine on their phones I'd whine about it too.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' Empty Re: Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages'

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am

AtrumX wrote:Lol I suppose if a major client said they were not allowing my search engine on their phones I'd whine about it too.

You mean I can use Bing on the iPhone? What about the Zune player and streaming?

I wonder what the would would be like if businesses were out to make money and keep themselves at a competitive advantage... you know, so they could stay in business? Crazy world.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am

Honestly if Android ran everything I use as good as windows I would just switch OS permanently.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

Yes you can bing search on an iPhone. Zune well is ms made an app probably. But I'm just posting an ingesting article I read not trying to start a topic about this is better than this .....

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 am

I know OC. I was just trying to say companies are going to make business decisions on what they think is best for their business. The consumer always gets the shaft, but if you don't "vote" with your pocketbook/wallet, it will just keep going. Like the jump form $10 to $15 DLC on XBL.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 10, 2012 11:51 am

Ingesting article... xD

Definitely interesting that they're not allowing other search engines. Internet Exploder has to stay relevant somehow I suppose.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Internet exploder XD

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' One-dose-not-simply-use-internet-explorer
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 pm

S7 Panzer wrote:Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' One-dose-not-simply-use-internet-explorer

Does*

PLUS IE is awesome, nuff said.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Thu May 10, 2012 1:29 pm

rofl I plucked that off the internet whoever made that meme is a fail. I'm also a fail for not seeing the spelling error.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Most of our clients will only use Internet Explorer. It's annoying as hell.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu May 10, 2012 3:45 pm

IE is garbage. I'm a Firefox user, except for Safari on my iPhone. I hear Chrome is pretty good too. Like 15 years ago I used to use Netscape because I hated IE so much.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu May 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Chrome FTW.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Xpert2010 wrote:
S7 Panzer wrote:Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' One-dose-not-simply-use-internet-explorer

Does*

FAIL*
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Thu May 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I have Fire fox Safari and Chrome on my Mac book and like th option to use any of them.

What ever happen to Netscape and Webcrawler??

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu May 10, 2012 7:42 pm

S7 OC wrote:I have Fire fox Safari and Chrome on my Mac book and like th option to use any of them.

What ever happen to Netscape and Webcrawler??

I was reading that Netscape fell apart when AOHell bought them because they didn't keep up the innovations that Netscape had been known for and IE surpassed them. That and MS started packaging IE with Windows. That was the start of, or near the start of, the anti-trust and monopoly cases against MS.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri May 11, 2012 1:00 pm

While I agree businesses should make decisions that best help them to profit, a monopoly may not abuse its market power at the expense of the consumer.

Back in 1998 Microsoft (Windows and IE) was the subject of a huge antitrust lawsuit. Competitor browsers argued that MS was bundling its IE with Windows unnecessarily, and since Windows is a monopoly (based on market share) on the Intel driven OEM PC market it unfairly hampered competition to the detriment of consumers. Microsoft lost, and the DOJ (Department of Justice) considered breaking Microsoft up into pieces so they could not abuse that power. After an appeal, DOJ decided to only fine them instead of breaking them up since they have integrated IE into Windows so deeply. When the DOJ fines you they determine what you have cost your competitors and then triple it - a very stiff penalty. MS says IE is "free," but really they raise the cost of Windows to cover the cost of IE developement. Part of the settlement was to allow unrestricted access to their source code to the browser competitors. So they lost their suit and were told they cannot use their OS to unfairly stemy competition by bundling only their browser.

Now the antitrust provisions have expired and MS is at it again. They say these other browsers can't run on Windows 8, which is true since those developers do not have access to the Windows 8 source code. Another antitrust suit is brewing and I forsee MS getting more than a wrist slap this time. If they continue down this road they will get hammered by the DOJ for violating the Sherman Act and will likely get split up this time. Lawyers will get rich and consumers will continue to lose out on competitive innovation for years to come until it is resolved. The biggest problem is that while it is being litagated their is damage being done to these other companies and they have to manager to survive until the courts can stop the bad business practices of MS. After all it is hard to award damages to a company that no longer exists.

My source: I had an antitrust class on my way to earning a degree in Economics.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Isn't it just the tablet version of W8 that MS are keeping other browsers from?

For me, that is totally understandable. Sure, IE may be sh1t on Windows desktop but if they plan to integrate it thoroughly throughout the tablet version, it'll probably come out as a nice package.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri May 11, 2012 5:22 pm

S7 Epic wrote:Isn't it just the tablet version of W8 that MS are keeping other browsers from?

For me, that is totally understandable. Sure, IE may be sh1t on Windows desktop but if they plan to integrate it thoroughly throughout the tablet version, it'll probably come out as a nice package.

My thoughts as well.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 am

Xpert2010 wrote:

Does*

Saw this today and had to share. IE does lead the way in one category...

Mozilla calls Windows RT a return to the 'digital dark ages' 35515_386672048045071_162898060422472_1046801_943609128_n

(image above take forever to load today)
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down