Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free September PS+ Games

3 posters

Go down

Free September PS+ Games Empty Free September PS+ Games

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Available 9/6:
Journey
Lords of the Fallen

I also found the following free games that I DL'd yesterday but haven't had a chance to try out:
Rebel Galaxy - space trade, combat and exploration (free until 9/6)
Neverwinter - D&D game, also a free DLC the Fashion and Emote Pack

From the little bit I've read on the above, Lords is like a Souls game with training wheels and Rebel Galaxy sounds like it's one of the parts that were missing in NMS. I'm hoping that NW is as good as NWN, cuz my friends, wife and I played and built levels for that for about 2+ years when it was on PC. As for Journey, I've heard good stuff about it, despite it being a couple years old.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Free September PS+ Games Empty Re: Free September PS+ Games

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:06 am

Neverwinter:
NW isn't too bad.  Had a similar feel to the FF game Zak, Kenny and I played a while back.  It's possible to create a guild and it seems like there's both PvP and areas where groups of players can team up to raid or run larger group missions as well as teaming up for regular content, I think.  

There's tons of customization options with character creation: standard look of your character, picking a hometown and background, picking a religion, and you can pick a title (starts with "of [your hometown]" and your religious affiliation, don't know if there's more) as well as type in some background on your character (not sure how much).

While the game is based on the D&D NW setting, it feels the setting and lore is pasted on a generic MMORPG.  I played a Warlock and was flinging spells, but combat doesn't seem too difficult.  From what I can tell, it seems as though characters max at lvl 70 and then there's some kind of end-game content, but I'm not sure what it is.

The game interface is a little cumbersome, as you hit the left bumper to toggle between two toolbars, which isn't really explained to you.  There's tons of crap on each toolbar and I'm not sure exactly how to use the items on the right-hand side (left side is accessed using the pad or L1 + the pad).  There's also a chat, LFG, and game log window in the bottom left corner that you can't really use until you complete one of a handful of quests (haven't done this yet).  

All I all, it has some flaws, is a little bland, and doesn't have the beauty or depth of ESO (in relation to grinding skills), but it's a free game and since I'm a huge D&D fan it will probably keep me interested here and there, especially if some of the S7 guys pick it up and we can adventure together.  I wish it had the same feel of the original NWN and it's expansions, but it should still have some entertainment value.

Rebel Galaxy:
Played a little of the Rebel Galaxy too.  Seems like an ok game.  There's a lot of customization on the ships (shields, weapons, cargo space, etc.) and there's like 6 or 7 different ships that can be purchased (that's in the initial space station, may be more elsewhere).  The different ships range from smaller cargo style ships to larger freighters and combat cruisers.  

Ship movement is easy to use: incremented throttle up, all stop, speed boost and a warp. I found out the hard way that you have to watch out for space stations, planets, space crap and ships when flying, I was knocked out warp when a freighter passed in front of me and I clipped it's ass end. I saw a bunch of hull and parts fly off, but I'm not sure what the actual damage was to my ship. I'm still trying to fight out ship damage, once time in the shipyard I fixed a bunch of damage and another time I should needed repairs I couldn't figure out how to make them.  

Combat is a little odd in that you have two modes, your 360 firing turret(s) that are useful against fighters and smaller objects and broadsides where you fire your main cannons like standard naval combat. When you're running broadsides you can rotate the camera with R stick, which allows for easy viewing of enemies.  Takes a little to get used to, but it's not too difficult.  

Overall, the little bit I played seems interesting.  Looks like you can play the good guy or be an ass, based on the different options in the convo trees.  For a free game, this will probably be something that I'll play every so often.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Rebel Galaxy is pretty cool but I didn't get into it before NMS stole my soul. I really liked the soundtrack and vibe from the game in general.

Neverwinter - is probably pretty cool but I'm not getting into a MMO right now. Especially as I intend to get back into ESO once the big update hits.

Journey - Looks amazing and I've wanted to try it for a while now but never pulled the trigger. Super happy it's free this month and I'm DLing it right now. I'll update with impressions later.

Lords of the Fallen - No real desire to play it but it looks cool so I'm grabbing it now too. Maybe it will be a sleeper hit for me.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:49 pm

That's awesome Journey is free this month. I watched Day9 play it and (if I ever get a PS4) it's near the top of my list of games to play.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Let me know when you jump back into ESO. I think my character is around the same level as you, since I stopped playing not long after you did. That is, unless you have played on and off since then.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:02 am

DeadSockPuppet wrote:Let me know when you jump back into ESO.  I think my character is around the same level as you, since I stopped playing not long after you did.  That is, unless you have played on and off since then.

No I haven't and... it won't matter. The big update I am speaking of is call One Tamriel and it's going to completely change ESO. It's a complete overhaul and among other things, it does away with lvl barriers across the entire game. Anyone can party with anyone. Any faction, and lvl, any area. Aside from PvP zones, the entire world will now lvl to each person and scale appropriately. Loot will also scale as well.

Basically the entire world will be up for grabs to explore in any order we choose. And those who lvl faster than others won't effect us anymore. I will probably actually start a new character when one Tamriel launches.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:48 pm

That's right, I rememeber some chat about that on podcasts or in chat. That will be a great addition, do you know when it drops?
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:10 am

Should be the fall, Oct 18th on consoles I believe.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:37 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Should be the fall, Oct 18th on consoles I believe.  

Yeah, I started looking at this today and it sounds like that's the correct date. Sounds like it should be a great update for the game and a complete change in how it's played.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 pm

UPDATE!

Journey Review:

Ok, so Journey is really short but an absolutely amazing... well... journey.  No dialog at all.  The whole thing is told via the setting and some clips between levels.  The story is a pilgrimage of sorts.  Your character s trying to reach the summit of a mountain in the distance and seems to hold significant historical/religious value for your character and her people.  That is about all I can say from what little you get.  Mostly an experience more than it its a game.  Your journey starts out in the desert and good bit away from the mountain and you progress through various level on your way to the top.

Surprisingly, despite the overall lack of story, it's somehow an emotional experience filled with highs and lows along the way.  Almost like Wall-E.  You feel a connection to the character you play.  I found myself happy, sad, scared, elated, excited and awestruck throughout my journey.  It's an amazing achievement considering.  

Some of that joy (and sadness) came from the random co-op the game has.  You can't sent invites, group up or even talk to the other people in your game but rather they just appear in game.  It's a very interesting experience coexisting with these other players.  Most of the time you just fall in and explore/solve puzzles together.  You can't talk to them but you can sort of chirp at them (you can make these little chime sounds that pulse and activate some of the puzzles) and standing next to each other charges your flying ability so it's beneficial to stick together.  

The result is a fun connection with this other person sharing your journey.  As chirping is the only form of communication we would sometimes just chip away as we explored.  Especially if there was something to find or an enemy to hide from.  They are kindred spirits along the same journey and you feel connected to them.  It's quite amazing.  Especially as you reach the end of the game.  You have been through some great trials together and feel a sort of brotherhood by the end.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil too much of the game but if you have access, you should definitely play it.  I think it took me around 3 hrs or so to complete one playthrough and it's worth every moment of that time.  Amazing little game.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down