Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox One Mic Headset

5 posters

Go down

Xbox One Mic Headset Empty Xbox One Mic Headset

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:55 am

I am having issues with my headset for chat in game and in parties. It seems that it only wants to work through my Kinnect and no my headset. I tried Google and I am not the only one with this issue but I have not found anything that to fix the issue. I have tried turning the Kinnect off for chat as well as off completely and unplugging it. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

GamerTag : KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Xbox One Mic Headset Empty Re: Xbox One Mic Headset

Post by S7 DROOPY Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 am

This might help idk
The March update also fixes one of the most frustrating aspects of the Xbox One’s party system. Right now, by default,voice chat is turned off. Xbox One owners have to enabled party chat in order to talk to their friends. After the March update arrives, party chat will be turned on by default, eliminating the tedious task of turning it on every time a new party is created.

so it looks like right now you have to toggle it every time a party is created or joined
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am

That is not my issue. I know the toggle thing (which is annoying tbh), but my issue is that I can only talk in game and in voice via kinnect mic and the only way I hear chat is through my tv/stereo speakers, my Mic headset won't work. I made sure it was plugged all of the way in, when I hit the mute button, the orange slash lights up so it has power and when I turn the volume all of the way up, I hear the beap sound so it does work. I just have not been able to find a solution to make the mic that plugs into the controller the voice chat option over the kinnect.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

i used to have the same problem with mine 

really the only fix that helped me was pushing the connector for the headset really hard into the controller... seem to help fix mine 

also have heard that when your in the party  chat option  click the mute mic button and then unmute yourself .

then again the mic the rushed out are not that great  a few of us have already had there's brake or start to brake.

this might help you it might not but just some things i have done /heard of people doing hope it works out for ya 
Rumor has it that the adaptor that will make your old 360 headset work with your xb1 should be coming out shortly after titanfall so if you have a pair of turtle beach's trittons  so on i would hold out on buying another cheaper xb1 headset (25 bucks )
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 am

That is a bummer. It seems like it is not broken in any way so it might just be a bad egg and have a cut wire or something internally. But I will try the methods you have done when I get home for lunch and post if it worked or not
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 pm

If it turns out to be a bad headset, you can have mine when I get my xb1 on 3/11 I can mail it to ya. I will not need it I ordered the polk melee and should have them at the same time

Last edited by S7 DROOPY on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for the offer. I was drooling over the TitanFall headset I saw on the Gamestop Website.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

disconnect, reconnect the headset ...sometimes a full reboot of the xb1 seems to work.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

I will give it a shot Klown. Thanks.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:06 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:disconnect, reconnect the headset ...sometimes a full reboot of the xb1 seems to work.

I only had that happen once, and I did the full boot (hold the "power button" for 30 seconds), then took out the batteries of my controller and unplugged the headset connector. Reassembled the controller and powered back on the Xbox. I don't know what step worked, but I haven't had the problem since (and I've logged some serious hours).

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

I did a reset and it seems to be working for now.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51 pm

I did a reset (held the power button on the console for about 15 seconds) and it seems to have fixed the issue, except if I use the kinnect for voice activation to log in or something before I join a party or at least start one by myself. If I use the voice commands first, the kinnect overrides the mic until I do another reset for some reason it seems
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 am

The headset adapter comes out this Friday, so I should be back in business for the weekend and no more Kinect chat.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 am

S7 mrmiller wrote:The headset adapter comes out this Friday, so I should be back in business for the weekend and no more Kinect chat.

~mrmiller

about dam time  now i just need 25 bucks lol
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Ya lol. Will this new adapter allow the use of Tritton/Turtle Beach headsets? Or will we just have to wait for next gen consoles ones to come out?
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:01 pm

KCCO Stevo wrote:Ya lol. Will this new adapter allow the use of Tritton/Turtle Beach headsets? Or will we just have to wait for next gen consoles ones to come out?

you will be able to use your old 360 headset's   with xb1 now 

so tritton turtle and astros should all work
i know i cant wait to use my tritton AX pros again
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 pm

WOOOOOOOOO I have my Astros just sitting here waiting to be used again.. I miss them ever so much.
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Yes, you can hook those up. They will still connect with the chat cable to the controller, and use the audio out from the Xbox One. The new headsets (as well as any other current "phone" headset with the CTIA standard) will hook straight to the controller and get sound from there. We still don't know if MS will be simple outputting stereo sound or if it will be virtual surround. It's nice to know I could possibly use my Bose or Klipsch earbuds if I want, not to mention my senn's (but they don't have a mic).

This is a nice write up on headsets for the One:

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going around about headphone surround sound and how the Xboxone is going to utilize any of these technologies, so I'm going to try and clarify some things for folks.
Note: I may make some generalizations here, and I aware of that. This is to be used as a guide to help people understand the terminology, not as the be-all-end-all on the subject. There's never a true consensus on many audio related things. Also, I am not an "expert" or know-it-all, and have not used every headphone on the planet, so if you catch a mistake, let me know and I will fix.
Headphone Types:
First off, there's two kinds of popular headphones themselves. Standard "Stereo Headphones" and "True Surround Headphones".
Some recent common examples of "Standard Stereo Headphones" (from a gamers perspective) are: Steelseries Siveria V2 : http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2
Astro A40: http://www.astrogaming.com/a40
Turtle Beach Earforce XP500: http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-360-headsets/ear-force-xp500/6
Polk Audio Melee: http://www.polkaudio.com/products/melee
Then there's the "True Surround Headphones", which have multiple drivers inside each earpiece. Some examples:
Tritton AX Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235005
Razer Tiamat: https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71
Stereo Headphones usually utilize two drivers (1 for each side) for sound reproduction, are the most common, and have been made for years. These headphones are capable of "Virtual Surround Sound" due to Digital Signal Processing (DSP), which could be from Dolby Labs (Dolby Headphone), SRS/DTS CS Headphone, and Yamaha Silent Cinema to name a few.
True Surround Headphones take the 5.1 sound from a dolby digital (or DTS) track and send it to the applicable speakers in each ear. It still needs a DSP unit to convert the sound for use with the headphones, it just processes it differently.
Now, there's many misconceptions out there, and some of them are due to how the headphone makers market their products. For instance, the Turtle Beach XP500 is listed as a "Dolby Digital 7.1" headphone. Yet, it's only a Stereo Headphone design. People mistakenly think that since it's a DD 7.1 set, it has multiple drivers. It doesn't. The reason they can market this set as such is because the DSP processor that drives this set takes the Dolby Digital output from your xbox/ps3/bluray and converts it into "Virtual Surround Sound". And, this goes for others as well. If the headphones have a DSP unit that can convert the Dolby Digital sound from an optical or HDMI source for use in their headphones, they can be labeled as a Dobly Digital 5.1/7.1 set regardless of whether the headphones are "Stereo" or "True Surround" types.
So, what does this mean?
Well, you can't judge a set of headphones just by whether it's listed as a Dolby Digital set or not. Why? Because ANY HEADPHONE can be used with a DSP unit for surround sound (and Dolby Digital if applicable). And moreover, if you are buying a set of headhones that do not come with a DSP unit, they will never be listed as Dolby Digital (or the like). You never see Dolby Digital listed on home speakers for the same reason: It's a type of sound processing, which has nothing to do with the speakers.
Well, that's a lot of info. What kind of headset is better?
That depends on you. The general consensus is that, surprisingly, a good set of Standard Stereo Headphones that's using a good DSP unit will sound superior to a True Surround headset. There's a few reasons for this.
1: Stereo Headsets usually have larger drivers in them that create more impact.
2: There's been research into Virtual Surround Sound for many years now, and it's gotten very, very good.
For me personally, I can attest to the accuracy of good surround virtualization even going back to gaming sessions many years ago. When I was a PC gamer, with my Beyerdynamic DT-770s' (and an expensive headphone amp), I was accused of cheating countless times for having a wallhack in Counterstrike because I could pinpoint where people were to an uncanny degree. That was 12(?) years ago. Virtual Surround Sound has gotten even better than that.
Now, with audio, it always comes down to personal taste. And if you have listened to both types, and prefer the True Surround sound type headset, then go for it and never look back. There is no right or wrong answer here.
I will say, though, that I think in 5-10 years, True Surround headphones will eventually eclipse the sound quality that the Stereo Ones with virtual sound currently employ. We're just not there yet.
So, how does this all tie in with the Xbox One
Right now, we know that any headset that meets the CTIA criteria for a 4-pole 3.5mm plug will work with the XboxOne adapter. In other words: any headset that you can plug into a phone and answer calls with will work on the new Xboxone adapter. Just plug it in and go. If you have a PC Gaming headset that has separate mic and audio jacks, you can purchase a cheap converter to allow them to be used as well.
But, will they have surround sound?
There is no definitive answer right now. I have read from multiple sources that Microsoft will be adding an audio update that will allow for virtual surround via headphones at some point. (I would assume when the chat adapters are launched, but who knows). If this is true, then any Stereo Headset would have Virtual Surround Sound when plugged into the adapter puck.
Here's a link to some correspondence on the Polk Audio website about their 4 Shot headphones. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?157577-POLK-AUDIO-4SHOT-XBOXONE-Comparison-verses-other-HEADSET&p=2007855&viewfull=1#post2007855
Below is an excerpt from the above thread:
Polk Engineer: "The audio signal received by the Xbox One controller is two channel only. ANY headset that plugs into the controller will have access to only L and R audio signals. The Xbox One simulates surround (surround to stereo processing) internally before being sending audio to the controller wirelessly. This will change once a multichannel wireless signal is available directly from the console, but Microsoft has not announced when or exactly how that will happen."
Notice what I put in BOLD above. This is the same thing your EARFORCE DSS and Astro Mixamp do before sending the signal to your headphones. Thus, it does not matter whether Dolby Digital is employed; as long as they have a DSP algorithm that works well (and since they were working with Polk, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) then we should get great Virtual Surround via the controller plug-in. As long as it gets updated to incorporate it.
Optical Out and existing DSP processors
Currently, the Xboxone is not outputting in Dolby Digital via the optical out, which renders most of the options currently on the market that utilize this method not able to output the same quality of Surround Sound (no matter what headphone type). This will be taken care of in an update, but MS has not given a time frame on it.
Completely Wireless Solutions
Since MS decided to forgo bluetooth for wifidirect, there are currently no "complete wireless" solutions available. And when I say complete wireless, I mean no wire to the controller, either. But, if you read the excerpt from the Polk Audio boards above, it appears that we may get an option sometime in the future. If I was guessing though, I think it will be a ways off
I will update this with more info as I see it and will answer any questions that folks have that I can. If you find any errors, let me know.

The cut-and-paste got a little off with the fonts, the the original post is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1xoom4/a_hopefully_useful_guide_to_xboxone_headset/

Also, here is Microsoft's info/FAQ page for headsets:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by KCCO Stevo Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 pm

We can probably go ahead and close this thread on this note. Here is a good way to fix the issue of the kinnect overriding the headset:

1. Unplug headset
2. Leave any party you may be in
3. Turn off kinnect for voice chat in the Xbox1 settings
4. Hold down power button on console for about 10-15 seconds until it turns off.
5. Plug headset into controller
6. Turn on console (if it starts with a green screen that says Xbox, you are in the right step, if not, you did not hold down the power button long enough to shut it down completely)
7. Start a party by yourself and make sure party chat is on. Talk to see if your headset is picking up your voice, if so, join a party to see if you can hear others and if they can hear you.

Your headset should now be working as intended.

(This worked for me and a few others I have talked through it so it seems to be a bug or something with the settings for the kinnect so I think this is a 100% fix for this issue)
KCCO Stevo
KCCO Stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down