Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been a while- best router and modem discussion

+3
S7 Sticky
Atrum
S7 mrmiller
7 posters

Go down

It's been a while- best router and modem discussion  Empty It's been a while- best router and modem discussion

Post by S7 mrmiller Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 pm

It looks like I am going to need a new modem, as I need a DOCSIS 3.0 for the speeds I'm paying for. I don't know that there is much of a difference, so I'm looking at getting the DOCSIS 3.0 Moto modum that Best Buy has. Is there any other options that are better?

The real question is what Router should I get? Mine is old, and drops connections a lot, as we have many things streaming now. What is currently the best for gaming (as that is the main goal in the speed)? I read good things about Asus, but have good success with Linksys, and have always heard Netgear makes a good gaming router. Any suggestions? What do you all use?

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

It's been a while- best router and modem discussion  Empty Re: It's been a while- best router and modem discussion

Post by Atrum Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Linksys or DLink would be my suggestions. Cisco owns linksys now, and they're king of the routing world. DLink, I've never used myself but always find their products get killer reviews.

You could search for models, for Linksys the EA3500 or 4500 would be killer.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

It's been a while- best router and modem discussion  Empty Re: It's been a while- best router and modem discussion

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm

as we all know i have always had a problem getting my nat to stay open  with 3 xbox  1 ps3 3 gaming pc 2 laptop cellphones and ipods 

but since i got the Netgear Wnr4500 v2 my nat is always open no matter what i got on   cost 140 bucks from bestbuy but i feel its the best for gaming in a house with alot of stuff on plus the range is crazy i can go any were in my yard (3/4 acre) and have full bars with no noticeable drop in speed

very easy to use hell other then going in and changing the password to get into the router and password for the wifi there was Zero setup

but also agree with Atrum Linksys is another great company to buy from and any 4500 model out there is going to be fast 

idk mat it all comes down to what u are willing to pay for but you know all the problem i was having as far as gaming and SLOOOOW speed from time warner  even with there turbo service since making the upgrade  my xbox as well as my brothers, Sisters and dads are always open  3 run on wifi 1 is hard wired .
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 pm

On a side note me and my roommate have had problems with our internet randomly dropping. We have replaced the router and modem to see if that is the issue with no avail. We even thought it might be the modem overheating so we put a fan on it, still nothing. We also changed the DNS we use and it still drops randomly. I'm assuming its the ISP but other than calling them up and telling them they suck I don't see anything else we can do. We use cocks communications.

I got the Cisco Modem Model DPC3010 DOC 3.0
Its not bad gets a little hot though.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 pm

If you ever want some steps to get the fixed panzer let me know.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Welp my friend just changed his DNS and it seems to not drop but ill let you know. If you want you can still post up some possible solutions.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 am

Nope didn't fix it. It seems to happen during possible high traffic hours so I still feel like its pointing towards the ISP.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 am

S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 am

S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

So from what I've read online about new home routers, this one is awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00F0DD0I6/gkwireless-20

But spendy. I've never had a problem running multiple xbox360's on my EA4500, but it seems like literally the entire internet has. So it might be more difficult to configure.

The one I linked is comparable to the new EA6500 for features/speed.
DLNA is something you should check out, it's very neat and will enable you to do some interesting stuff on your home network.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 pm

I've had a my ASUS Black Diamond for a year and a bit now, and it's been absolutely faultless. Never had to reset it, I think it's maybe dropped the DNS for 30s once or twice (literally) but that could have just been my PC. Also, the software that comes with it is great. Lets me prioritize traffic, restrict various connections, impose time limits on certain connections (i.e. the kids), etc. Also, having the USB ports is great as it's basically a wireless media server too now.

Also, for context, we have a 50mb/20mb fibre line and during normal hours of use theres probably about 8-9 active devices. I am able to game and torrent at the same without seeing a noticeable increase in ping (2-5ms) and that's whilst others in the house are using it for god knows what else. Also, that's all on the 2.4GHz band - The adapters seem to prefer connecting to that first and I'm too lazy to tell them otherwise.

The latest version of the one I have is about $110-130 now and there is a beefier one for about $170. Seems pretty reasonable for you get, especially with the first one.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:43 pm

I was thinking about this, mainly because of the price. I'll be playing the games wired, but need fast wireless for netflix streaming through the house, possible 2x a time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HO9DK4

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Big M Easy Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I may be the exception here but my netgear router http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3400-N600-Wireless-Router/dp/B0041LYY6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381362033&sr=8-1&keywords=Wndr3400 has been kinda a turd as a whole. I may have just picked a bad model who knows but after 6-7 months I started having issues with it and have to reset it several times a month. While that doesn't sound like a big deal the router it replaced was an old linksys wrt54g that lacked the "N" speeds but was drop dead reliable. I also don't have anywhere near the range on this router as I did from my old one. I replaced it since I thought it was the culprit for speed issues I was having at the time that later turned out to simply be hardware issues on the isp's end. I don't live in some mansion(1100 sf) so the limited range was kinda a surprise to me I can't get a reliable signal in my garage that's 30-40ft outside the room the router is in.
S7 Big M Easy
S7 Big M Easy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Big M Easy

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 am

Linksys EA6700 Smart AC1750 Dual Band N450 + AC1300 Wireless Router IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n

shell shocker deal at newegg for 139.99 60 bucks off

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16833124501
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 am

I went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/EA6300-Advanced-Multimedia-Wireless-Dual-Band/dp/B00C0WZ9FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382243079&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+ac+1200

I like the idea of the USB3 for a shared drive, over the USB2. Also, this is the latest model with hopefully the newest tech. So far so good, but we will see. I can prioritize the connections, and it recognized the 360. I gave it highest priority and automatically got an open nat- so that is something!

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down