Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for a deal, input welcome

5 posters

Go down

looking for a deal, input welcome Empty looking for a deal, input welcome

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 pm

By December I will either buy or build a new PC. It will primarily be used for gaming (evenings) and to run a Magic Jack phone line for business (24/7). I'm leaning toward building a desktop since I will have to keep the phones up all the time and so won't be turning it off often or traveling with it, but not totally set on that. I would be down with a prebuilt setup for the right price too. Brainstorming right now, so if anyone wants to put in twocents please do, or let me know if you spot a great deal.

Must run Windows 7, SW:KoR (on highest settings), and Magic Jack.

I have a ton of old components, but not much I will reuse except the sound system. I did buy a case I never used a couple years back, atx mid tower, but it was cheap. Could run it through my 42" lcd 1080p 60ghz TV for a short term but will probably want a different monitor eventually, so maybe a package deal on a prebuilt again for the right price.

No real price range yet but hoping to keep it under 1500 and have near top of the line graphics/proc speeds. Hoping to have energy saving features during the day while I work as it will just be running the phone, maybe music.

Last edited by S7 Coolhand on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

looking for a deal, input welcome Empty Re: looking for a deal, input welcome

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Oh and thanks in advance for any advice or deals anyone presents! Also does anyone know if KoR will run on a Linux based Windows clone (Ubuntu?)?
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh and I threw $1500 out but would prefer to keep it well under that pirat
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

$1200 will have you absolutely set for at least four years. Thereafter, you can just buy a new vid card and be on top of the game again.

And if you're looking at running ubuntu at all... Learn from Panzer, don't buy Alienware Laughing
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:06 am

S7 Vision67 wrote:$1200 will have you absolutely set for at least four years. Thereafter, you can just buy a new vid card and be on top of the game again.

And if you're looking at running ubuntu at all... Learn from Panzer, don't buy Alienware Laughing

when is the man is right the man is right and just fye you can always just set up a older computer for magic jack just saying
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 am

It wasn't the alienware it was my stupidity not make a separate partition.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:44 am

You said you're comfortable building?

Tigerdirect has "barebone kits" that are great.
www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=692378&CatId=4149

That system is pretty ridiculous. It's got a 40GB SSD you'll have your OS and probably your games on and that will amaze you at how fast it is.

IF that's a bit spendy just look through the barebone kits with the i5 instead of the i7. That should drop the price down a couple hundred $ (they build them with slightly lower specs).

Also the way barebone kits work; you have all the parts shipped and you put it together yourself. It's easy though so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, most of them do not have:
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor

So if you don't already have those you'll need to factor that cost in.

+ Magic Jack

Every computer is going to have the ability to run it.

+ Music

If you're a big audiophile then I'd drop the extra $50 and get a decent sound card. You'll be able to add it in later, but it will make a pretty big difference. That and buying good speakers.

+ Energy Saving

Any computer you buy now will come with windows 7. Windows 7 has built in energy saving settings so you'll be able to adjust that no matter what.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down