Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR

+3
S7 Jwriter
S7 Vision67
S7 Zalacious
7 posters

Go down

Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR Empty Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR

Post by S7 Zalacious Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:32 pm

So with the release date known, I am very curious as to how many S7 member plan on purchasing Star Wars The Old Republic and what type of server you plan on playing on. I know for a fact that there are going to be PvE and PvP servers. I would prefer a PvP server as I think it adds a lot of excitement to an already fun game. That being said, I would happily roll on a PvE server if I knew a bunch of S7 were only willing to play on that type of server.

So.

How many of you plan on purchasing SWTOR and what type of server do you plan on playing on?

Also would you be interested in possibly joining a guild with a bunch of people I play STO with? I would rather have S7 have its own guild but if only a handful of people get the game it might be better to join another group.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR Empty Re: Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR

Post by S7 Vision67 Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I need to do some research, and make sure I have the money to support two $15/mo subscriptions.

However, I may be playing it. I missed out on SWG, I don't want to miss out on this too.

That said, I would prefer a PvP server. PvE servers where you need to flag first for PvP are boring. Open world PvP especially in the early part of an MMO's life cycle are the sh1t.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR Empty Re: Questions to the Clan in regards to SWTOR

Post by S7 Zalacious Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 pm

S7 Vision67 wrote:I need to do some research, and make sure I have the money to support two $15/mo subscriptions.

However, I may be playing it. I missed out on SWG, I don't want to miss out on this too.

That said, I would prefer a PvP server. PvE servers where you need to flag first for PvP are boring. Open world PvP especially in the early part of an MMO's life cycle are the sh1t.

Fair enough. Just so you know you can always pre-order and enter the code for early access and get some free game time before you commit.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 am

I would love to play this game, but it's only Windows PC. Even though my Mac is almost 5 years old, it meets the min hardware requirements, and I guess I could go get windows and use parallels...but why exclude Macs and consoles in the first place?

I guess, I keep thinking that in this day and age, when the industry seems to be moving to a more cross-platform type environment, I don't understand why you would exclude Mac and Console gamers from a game as awesome as this?

Since I'm most likely ignorant as to what actually goes into cross-platform dev, I guess I'll put this question to all of your programmers out there...is it that much more difficult to create a cross-platform game (PC, Xbox, Mac)?

I guess I look at games like Shadow run and the upcoming Diablo II both of which were and will be PC and Console. Are MMOs that much more difficult to port over? again, just asking because I really don't understand why more companies don;t do it.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Jwriter

http://www.lovethatphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 am

I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure that I can convince myself to play the game enough to justify having a $15/mo subscription, especially during the November - mid January period where my job works me like 6 days a week and like 65-70hrs a week.

However, that being said, if I do get into it I'd play on whatever server type was most popular with S7 members. I could argue for either one, but I'd just prefer to play with my brothers, wherever they choose to roll.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 am

I'll be playing it a lot, my wife is getting it too.

As for PvE vs PvP, I'm sure you'll be able to have characters on both servers. I will be starting on PvE to have some fun just playing the game, checking everything out, learning what's what. I'll probably make a char for PvP also but will mainly be on the PvE. This could obviously change after release if PvP makes the game far better. From my MMO experience I prefer PvE to start.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:18 am

I am definitely getting it day one and most of my time will be on a pvp server. Imo its all about faction war and I like the risk of getting ranked while venturing, as well as owning a noob before he can harvest the resource I want. Re clans, I will want to be in a mid size clan of active games that are both competitive and easy going.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

@ Jwriter

While I know it is totally possibly to develop a game for multiple platforms I think there are just too many roadblocks. The first one that comes to mind is Microsoft needing to approve anything that goes onto Xbox live. Anyone that plays MMOs knows that there are constant updates both big and small. During big updates there sometimes small patches every day to address bugs that pop up. Can you imagine how hard it would be to get things past live certification in any reasonable amount time?

@Atrum

I understand wanting to get your feet wet on a PvE server and part of me agrees with that philosophy. I was thinking of doing something similar but I am worried that I might not have enough time to be rolling toons on different servers.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:26 pm

@ Jwriter

Also, server coding and connection aside there are the 'balance and interface' problems that come up. Not sure if you've played WoW but look at a screenshot or stream of someone playing. The screen is probably a good 30% covered by things to click read, move etc. These type of interfaces just don't work as a controller as there A) aren't enough buttons, and B) there is no easy way to switch controls from game area to item menus.
Thus to make a console version an entire new User Interface has to be developed. Games hire TEAMS of people for that. So for a studio to even consider doing both PC and Console they basically have to rebuild how the game is played from the ground up.

I imagine the major 'downsides' for MMO developers would be:
-Higher Dev costs
-Longer dev time. Basically making 2 games.
-Licensing issues (Live certification, Subscription fees, loyalties, etc)
-User Base. Players on consoles do not like to pay for anything. I'm the same. I pay for XBL and the game, don't want to pay for online play too. Until this mindset shifts a lot of PC devs realize that they will not get a huge amount of users from console because of the monthly fees.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm

AtrumX wrote:@ Jwriter

Also, server coding and connection aside there are the 'balance and interface' problems that come up. Not sure if you've played WoW but look at a screenshot or stream of someone playing. The screen is probably a good 30% covered by things to click read, move etc. These type of interfaces just don't work as a controller as there A) aren't enough buttons, and B) there is no easy way to switch controls from game area to item menus.
Thus to make a console version an entire new User Interface has to be developed. Games hire TEAMS of people for that. So for a studio to even consider doing both PC and Console they basically have to rebuild how the game is played from the ground up.

As evidence: This is my User Interface for Warcraft: (*CLICK TO ENLARGE*)

For my standard DPS rotation, I have between five and seven buttons. Depending on Cooldowns and spec. For my utilities I have another ten. All in all, of all the buttons that are HOTKEYED to both my keyboard and my Naga mouse, I have 35 different buttons to press, and every fight I use at least 17 of them.

This would be impossible to map on a controller.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:27 pm

i played the f#ck out of it in the beta and loved it but i might have to wait till i get it as a gift as money is tight right meow
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:46 pm

S7 Vision67 wrote:

For my standard DPS rotation, I have between five and seven buttons. Depending on Cooldowns and spec. For my utilities I have another ten. All in all, of all the buttons that are HOTKEYED to both my keyboard and my Naga mouse, I have 35 different buttons to press, and every fight I use at least 17 of them.

Thanks vision. J, as you can imagine finding a way to remap that to console (using RB to open a sub menu, d-pad, etc) is hard enough. Finding a way that lets console gamers play on par with PC gamers is even more difficult.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Yep anyone who has played WoW could tell you it just couldn't work on a console. A shame, but all the complexity is a big part of the fun. PC MMOs are just a different breed of game.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:53 am

AtrumX wrote:
S7 Vision67 wrote:

Thanks vision. J, as you can imagine finding a way to remap that to console (using RB to open a sub menu, d-pad, etc) is hard enough. Finding a way that lets console gamers play on par with PC gamers is even more difficult.

Wow! no pun intended...that's crazy...well that screen shot and keyboard mapping descrip answers that. lol...Thanks guys.

Now, why no Mac version? Is it more of a red tape/licensing hurdle as well, or more of a having to re-code from the ground up hurdle? Just curious since they have WoW for Macs, and both of the KOTOR games on o a Mac...

if you couldn't tell, I'm trying to find a way to play this frickin' game cause buying a new PC ain't an option. I might have to go with the Parallels or VMware option.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:05 am

No idea why no MAC version. It shouldn't be too tough to do it.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

I would assume it's just politics. It would add to development costs so they might also think the mac user base wouldn't be big enough to be worth it but I'm more inclined to think it's just politics between the big companies.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Jwriter Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 am

It did take a little longer for KOTOR to be released on Macs...and Galaxies...but I figured that was years ago...surely things would be better now...but you're probably right, it politics...ugh...I'll have to try the Parallels or VMWare solution.
S7 Jwriter
S7 Jwriter
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:19 pm

I don't understand why there is not going to be a mac version on release myself. With the Mac OS having moved to intel based processing, you'd think that a Mac binary would have been simple to port over.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:29 pm

DirectX vs OpenGL perhaps?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 am

Yeah...

I'm tired of WoW. I don't have the schedule to get into a world class guild, and I'm tired of showing up to raid like it's my job to see the same content over and over.

And after three years of this, I'm just in the mood for something different. A whole new world. I think I may be hammering the final nails in my subscription to WoW. The funny thing is that the BF3 beta has me aching for FPS games again. It's so fun to just hive mind and work towards the objective. But it's also nice to have control of my reticle.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Got my beta invite finally. Going to test it this weekend when my squadron opens up.

If everything goes well, this will make or break it. I may no longer be a WoW guy after this weekend!
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down