Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black ops multiplayer takes aim at cheaters

+7
S7 Panzer
S7 Glock
S7 Sticky
S7 Epic
S7 DROOPY
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 OC
11 posters

Go down

Black ops  multiplayer takes aim at cheaters Empty Black ops multiplayer takes aim at cheaters

Post by S7 OC Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-takes-aim-at-cheaters/

Treyarch is less worried about carving off and isolating one particular group of players: cheaters. Watching the team at Infinity Ward struggle with Modern Warfare 2's bizarre glitches and griefers, Vonderhaar said, "There's a whole layer where those exploits come from that you have to move down deeper into the code so that they're not as forefront." Some of what cheaters exploit is actually some of the "same tools that game designers use to help balance the game," we learned. It's left high-level and gets exposed. Part of Treyarch's strategy is simple: "push those things deeper and put them behind the wall, and that will take care of a lot of [the glitches] right away."

Another tool in the Treyarch anti-cheating toolbox: The new Theater mode. Combining the game's reporting structure with the ubiquitous game-saving structure gives Treyarch -- and specifically Treyarch's new full-time employee tasked with looking at the reports -- the ability to investigate purported cheating through the eyes of the cheater. If it's a bug, the team can learn how to reproduce it and, as a result, fix it. If a player is abusing a bug, then they can also take punitive measures. The end result of both courses of action should be the same: a more reliable experience for those of you who don't cheat.

In fact, Theater "started as a bug tool," Vonderhaar said. A funny bug was being sent around the office -- specifically, a guy's face was "stretched out and distorted"– and the team loved it and thought, "We have to share this with people. This is too good. We cannot hold this as a bug tool. This is something we can give to people to use." And so they did!

The Theater provides players with six slots to store clips and screenshots to share with friends. While Vonderhaar said, "I'm sure the business people are kicking around various ideas" for more slots, "the six slots you see on the floor, that's what comes with the game." Curiously, the stations we saw at the event listed 18 slots in some areas and just the six in others.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Black ops  multiplayer takes aim at cheaters Empty Re: Black ops multiplayer takes aim at cheaters

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:26 pm

In fact, Theater "started as a bug tool," Vonderhaar said. A funny bug was being sent around the office -- specifically, a guy's face was "stretched out and distorted"– and the team loved it and thought, "We have to share this with people. This is too good. We cannot hold this as a bug tool. This is something we can give to people to use." And so they did!

I was with them until I read that No .

Partially you need to understand that the theater section didn't start as any d@mn bug tool...it started as the programmers being human and having played Halo 3 said, "we gotta get that feature into our game". Period. Once you start thinking your consumer base is ignorant and start lying to them you not only lose respect-- but your own dignity.

Note to Treyarch: It's not like you just created the wheel guys....you merely opened a Merchant Tire shop to sell what already existed. Don't go all "Barney Rubble" on me here...Jeez!

Secondly, anyone that has played Halo 3 knows that there are cheaters/glitcher and the theater mode isn't going to help a lot with that.

So...next!

Last edited by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Black ops  multiplayer takes aim at cheaters Empty Re: Black ops multiplayer takes aim at cheaters

Post by S7 DROOPY Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 pm

kool, I hope and I hope, that the games not full of cheaters. the wager gametype has me concerned that "someone" will find a way to wager a ton of cash and then lose and not really lose the cash(bet),causing a ton of 12yr olds boosting. waw only really had glitchs and not a bunch of cheating game machanics
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:36 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:In fact, Theater "started as a bug tool," Vonderhaar said. A funny bug was being sent around the office -- specifically, a guy's face was "stretched out and distorted"– and the team loved it and thought, "We have to share this with people. This is too good. We cannot hold this as a bug tool. This is something we can give to people to use." And so they did!

I was with them until I read that No .

Partially you need to understand that the theater section didn't start as any d@mn bug tool...it started as the programmers being human and having played Halo 3 said, "we gotta get that feature into our game". Period. Once you start thinking your consumer base is ignorant and start lying to them you not only lose respect-- but your own dignity.

Note to Treyarch: It's not like you just created the wheel guys....you merely opened a Merchant Tire shop to sell what already existed. Don't go all "Barney Rubble" on me here...Jeez!

Secondly, anyone that has played Halo 3 knows that there are cheaters/glitcher and the theater mode isn't going to help a lot with that.

So...next!

I wouldn't say it was a stolen idea. It's been in the public domain a while now and ultimately it's going to end up in most games if the consumer wants it. A dev can't just take the moral high ground on features that they didn't originally pioneer. There'd be a lot of mediocre game if they did, not to mention the ass-raping's the publishers would give them...especially ActiBlizzion.

However, as a programmer, recording the game data and then being able to play it back isn't that much more work than just recording it. It'd just need some polish and a decent UI.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 pm

this is all that matters

Another tool in the Treyarch anti-cheating toolbox: The new Theater mode. Combining the game's reporting structure with the ubiquitous game-saving structure gives Treyarch -- and specifically Treyarch's new full-time employee tasked with looking at the reports -- the ability to investigate purported cheating through the eyes of the cheater. If it's a bug, the team can learn how to reproduce it and, as a result, fix it. If a player is abusing a bug, then they can also take punitive measures. The end result of both courses of action should be the same: a more reliable experience for those of you who don't cheat.

and that is way its going to be WIN ..f#ck you cheater u say your not modded ok let me pop open theater mode and watch from your own two eyes then send it off to tryarch for the BAN HAMMER
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:29 am

Wow sounds like a nerve was struck.... we know Halo is awesome... no need to defend it... as I have heard around... basically 'Halo' is this generations 'Star Wars'
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:03 am

I love Star Wars more then halo......
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:55 am

i love mself more
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:24 am

S7 Glock wrote: 'Halo' is this generations 'Star Wars'
agreed first two where awsome and then the next ones are all about making cash and aren't as good.
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Halo 3 was better than Halo 2.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:31 pm

S7 Glock wrote:Wow sounds like a nerve was struck.... we know Halo is awesome... no need to defend it... as I have heard around... basically 'Halo' is this generations 'Star Wars'

Me thinks someone missed the entire point... Rolling Eyes
It's not about defending Halo (F*ck Halo and the horse she rode in on) it's about these developers creating a well known, already proven and tested theater mode in their game then pretending that there was some "guy with a stretchy face" that made them decide to put it in game. Why not call a spade a spade and say there is this great addition in Halo that we thought would go great with our gaming system where the player can go back and watch his kills from different angles. Done. Everyone is happy...you told the truth, and didn't try to assume we're all stupid like we haven't seen this somewhere before. The whole excuse of the "stretchy face bug" causing your moment of epiphany is ridiculous and I'm not sure about you, but when someone insults my intelligence I take offense to it and call them out.

Again.....Note to Treyarch: It's not like you just created the wheel guys....you merely opened a Merchant Tire shop to sell what already existed. Don't go all "Barney Rubble" on me here...Jeez!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Yeah, somewhere in the back of their minds someone wanted to include this feature in the game, Even if they used a purposefully created stretched face on accident so they can give themselves an excuse to use a cool feature from a competitor, but not really...stretchy face better be in the game! I hope Klown you still play the game and not hold this shenanigan against them, lol. We need you Klown!
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:57 pm

I'll be there day one brother...love what I'm seeing from Black Ops.
I'm not knocking them in anyway, just don't accept the "stretchy face" BS excuse.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Nate Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 am

i hear ya klown. i also agree that this "probably" just a borrowed idea from a game that made it popular.

but regardless of where it came from, its a nice feature. i just wish it had more than just 6 slots.

but about your earlier comment about f*ck halo:

no no no.... no f*ck halo.... halo is awesome!! ... you hater!
S7 Nate
S7 Nate
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Nate64D

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 am

in Soviet Russia HALO f#ck YOU!!!!!

S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Everyone knows that since Halo 3 came out we've all been saying every game should have it. I love CoD but Treyarch really isn't a good enough game dev to be trying to say they 'innovated' a new feature like this.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:41 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:in Soviet Russia HALO f#ck YOU!!!!!

Funny, I always thought that was in China Embarassed LOL
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 pm

S7 Tico wrote:i hear ya klown. i also agree that this "probably" just a borrowed idea from a game that made it popular.

but regardless of where it came from, its a nice feature. i just wish it had more than just 6 slots.

It will have more than six slots but might incorporate the credit cash system to unlock more slots.
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm

S7 R0LLING THUND3R wrote:
S7 Tico wrote:i hear ya klown. i also agree that this "probably" just a borrowed idea from a game that made it popular.

It will have more than six slots but might incorporate the credit cash system to unlock more slots.

and i am sure you can more then likely upload to the website then DL to your hard drive so you can upload more
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am

Using it as a tool to catch cheaters is a great idea but a lot for one employee to handle effectively. That was a lame origin story they came up with though.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down