Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crunchyroll on Xbox One

+2
Atrum
Xpert2010
6 posters

Go down

Crunchyroll on Xbox One Empty Crunchyroll on Xbox One

Post by Xpert2010 Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Just found out that Crunchyroll was released sometime today maybe?  I have been waiting for this for awhile!  I visit Crunchyroll every day and I never saw any news about this, surprisingly.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Crunchyroll on Xbox One Empty Re: Crunchyroll on Xbox One

Post by Atrum Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 am

FINALLY
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:33 am

Odd...got an email this morning and don't even know what Crunchyroll is.
Just anime??

--------------------------------
Hey everyone,

I have a really exciting announcement for you guys~

Crunchyroll is now officially available on the Xbox ONE~! 

And, there is something extra special about the new Crunchyroll App for Xbox One…
it is available to BOTH Premium and free viewers!

Today, Crunchyroll becomes the first (and only) place to watch Anime simulcasts on game consoles ...FREE! So, if you have an Xbox One, download the Crunchyroll App in the Xbox One Apps Marketplace and start watching now! As a free viewer, you can watch all of our ad-supported shows in the app, just like on crunchyroll.com and the CR mobile apps. To get the best experience, the latest simulcast, and NO ads, sign up for a premium membership -_-

Additionally, we’re always trying to provide more value for our premium users. Going forward, shows that are exclusive to Crunchyroll (not available on any other service), will be available exclusively to premium members 1 year after simulcast on Crunchyroll. Free viewers have a full year to watch, and premium members have access as long as we have the license (just like now). Shows that are available elsewhere will continue to be available on Crunchyroll for free (and premium) viewers indefinitely. We will make this change at the beginning of next year, and any affected titles will have updated availability notes by the end of this week. We think this is a minimal change, and is worth it to make all living room available to millions of our free viewers. 

Going forward, we are updating even more Crunchyroll living room apps to make the Crunchyroll experience the same on all devices (web, mobile, living room). Even if you don’t have a premium membership, we still want you to be able to watch Crunchyroll on every device we support.

Finally, we have a few really exciting things to announce between now and end of this year. I can’t wait because it’s going to be sooo awesome~!

~ Shinji & The Crunchyroll Team
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Yeah, Crunchyroll is an Anime site. Although they do also have various Asian soaps.
It's pretty much the 'premier' site (main rival is Funimation) and they do the actual translations and subtitles for many animes.

As for Free vs Premium, basically they only allow paid members to see the newest episodes, and allow free users to see them a week (or two?) later. It's a cool business model. Everyone gets the content, just free users wait a little longer.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:55 pm

I was able to sign up for another 12 day free subscription around a week ago.  Since my trial ends on Thursday, I'll probably keep the premium and pay the monthly fee since I was waiting to subscribe until the app released on Xbox One.  Perfect timing.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Also, I think you have to have a sub to use the apps on the consoles, iPhone etc...  The free service is only available on the website, I think.  I have been a sub for a long time now and stream on a multitude of devices.  Mostly I watch on my PS4 as I like watch it on my TV.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Also, I think you have to have a sub to use the apps on the consoles, iPhone etc...  The free service is only available on the website, I think.  I have been a sub for a long time now and stream on a multitude of devices.  Mostly I watch on my PS4 as I like watch it on my TV.

As per klowns post:

"Crunchyroll is now officially available on the Xbox ONE~! 

And, there is something extra special about the new Crunchyroll App for Xbox One…
it is available to BOTH Premium and free viewers!"
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Yeah, even though I could go free on the Xbox, I think I'm just going to subscribe anyway.  Sometimes there's just some episode I want to watch right now!... but then I have to wait another week because I'm a free user. lol.  I just wanted wait to be able to watch it on my TV with high resolution.  Also sometimes the flash player on the Crunchyroll website decides to go to the next episode mid-video and I also get a little artifacting, but that's pretty rare... so I'd just like to get away from the website if that won't happen on the Xbox.

Last edited by Xpert2010 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Xpert2010 wrote:Yeah, even though I could go free on the Xbox, I think I'm just going to subscribe anyway.  Sometimes there's just some episode I want to watch right now!... but then I have to wait another week because I'm a free user. lol.  I just wanted wait to be able to watch it on my TV with high resolution.  Also sometimes the flash player on the Crunchyroll website sometimes decides to go to the next episode mid-video and I also get a little artifacting, but that's pretty rare... so I'd just like to get away from the website if that won't happen on the Xbox.
I see that skip too. I assume it's related to a buffer error as I only see it if I have paused or left it on the initial loading page.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Little Spoon Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:29 am

Just asking out of curiosity here, but, are you guys highly opposed to watching fan subs or something? I mean I know it's not technically "legal" depending on the show and wether or not it is licensed over here. But, I more or less buy everything that releases over here that I actually liked any way, so my conscience is still pretty clear about it.

Again, not trying to start anything, it just sounded like you guys only use Funi and CR to stream your anime so I was wondering.

S7 Little Spoon
Corporal
Corporal

GamerTag : S7 Little Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 am

Pure Frosted wrote:Just asking out of curiosity here, but, are you guys highly opposed to watching fan subs or something? I mean I know it's not technically "legal" depending on the show and wether or not it is licensed over here. But, I more or less buy everything that releases over here that I actually liked any way, so my conscience is still pretty clear about it.

Again, not trying to start anything, it just sounded like you guys only use Funi and CR to stream your anime so I was wondering.
I've been watching anime daily since about 2000. Back then it was definitely only fan subs around. When the pay sites came out I still used my preferred fan subs.

These days CR is such great quality and I don't have to worry about videos being taken down, site issues, etc. It just works.
I still use fan subs for any shows not on CR, but these days I'm typically keeping up with 5 or-so new series, and rewatching an old series (since I've seen just about everything in the genres I like) so there isn't a ton of time to go searching elsewhere.

So, definitely not highly opposed to fan subs. But if the option is there on Crunchyroll or Funimation I'd rather go there.

PS: I also very rarely buy physical copies of shows. I only get ones that I love like FMA, .hack//sign, etc. So paying for a sub to the legit sites is my way of helping. It always bugs me that stupid cartoons in the US have per-episode budgets in the millions, while top notch/popular anime only have a few hundred thousand at best.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 am

I like watching anime on my TV best and my iPad is my second choice.  Watching on my laptop is my last choice so apps like CR, Hulu and Netflix are preferred for that reason.  And I like getting things legit when possible.  I like supporting the industry if possible.  I will use fan sites if no other options are available.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am

Pretty much everything that I've wanted to watch, I could watch on Crunchyroll or Netflix.  I never had any reason to try to find fan subs.  I also prefer to keep it legal, and since fan subs are technically illegal, I prefer to stay away from them.  I also try to buy physical copies of anime that I have enjoyed.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:23 am

Xpert2010 wrote:Pretty much everything that I've wanted to watch, I could watch on Crunchyroll or Netflix.  I never had any reason to try to find fan subs.  I also prefer to keep it legal, and since fan subs are technically illegal, I prefer to stay away from them.  I also try to buy physical copies of anime that I have enjoyed.
With all the licensing these days that might be true. I know back-in-the-day it was very common for shows not to be licensed outside of Japan/Asia so fan-subs were legal. Then (generally) Funimation would get a license for them and you would see the videos go down almost instantly from most fan sites.

I imagine it's pretty uncommon these days though.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Little Spoon Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

Maybe I just have different taste than alot of you guys then in my anime. *shrug*

I'm not kidding when I say I have close 1.5T of anime downloaded and the bulk of it is either stuff that isn't licensed here or the license ran out and was never renewed. Some of it is even stuff that I simply enjoyed the job the fan subbers did vs. a horrble localization that the "legal" copy ended up being. I still most likely own the show in the last case that I mentioned as well, it will just forever stay on my shelf untouched.

S7 Little Spoon
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Pure Frosted wrote:Thanks for the responses guys.

Maybe I just have different taste than alot of you guys then in my anime. *shrug*

I'm not kidding when I say I have close 1.5T of anime downloaded and the bulk of it is either stuff that isn't licensed here or the license ran out and was never renewed. Some of it is even stuff that I simply enjoyed the job the fan subbers did vs. a horrble localization that the "legal" copy ended up being. I still most likely own the show in the last case that I mentioned as well, it will just forever stay on my shelf untouched.

Could very well be. Like I said, I've been watching (many times binge watching) anime for 15ish years every day, so I've seen most of the stuff out there that's any good.
Even the 'meh' ones or unusual genres I'll give 3-4 episodes to see if it picks up or gets interesting.

To each his own though.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Little Spoon Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm

It sounds like you have a rather impressive watched list. Do you use myanimelist or anime-planet to track your shows at all? Would really be curious to take a peek at it if you use a site like those two at all.

S7 Little Spoon
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm always interested in what people watch. I like to give recommendations to anime I think that person would watch.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shuntentatsu Don't mind any of the ratings though, they don't follow any set of guidelines, except if it's 9 or 10, which would be safe to say that I like the show.
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : shuntentatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Pure Frosted wrote:It sounds like  you have a rather impressive watched list. Do you use myanimelist  or anime-planet to track your shows at all? Would really be curious to take a peek at it if you use a site like those two at all.
I started filling out myanimelist once ages ago but gave up early on in completing it. I should probably start up on that though. I'll post a link once I have it somewhat filled out
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Little Spoon Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Shuntentatsu wrote:I'm always interested in what people watch. I like to give recommendations to anime I think that person would watch.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shuntentatsu Don't mind any of the ratings though, they don't follow any set of guidelines, except if it's 9 or 10, which would be safe to say that I like the show.

If you wanted to throw any recommendations my way that would be fine.  I've seen quite a bit, but you can see that a lot of what I watch is more along the lines of romance/comedy stuff.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/thegreatjebus17

S7 Little Spoon
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:06 pm

That's fine, I'm more partial to slice of life stuff, but I'll watch almost anything. I'll look over the list and see what I can find that you haven't watched already.
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Pure Frosted wrote:
Shuntentatsu wrote:I'm always interested in what people watch. I like to give recommendations to anime I think that person would watch.

If you wanted to throw any recommendations my way that would be fine.  I've seen quite a bit, but you can see that a lot of what I watch is more along the lines of romance/comedy stuff.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/thegreatjebus17

Have you watched FMA: Brotherhood yet? I saw that on your Plan to Watch list. It gets pretty epic/intriguing halfway through.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Little Spoon Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:53 am

No, I haven't watched it yet. Shounen stuff has always been hard for me to really dig into. I go through spurts though where I'll binge watch one though for maybe a week or so then step back for a while again. Getting caught back up in naruto or one piece periodically usually will be my binge if anything though.

S7 Little Spoon
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 pm

You should check out KimiKiss Pure Rouge. Made by the people that did Amagami. Though it's not in an omnibus format, like Amagami was, it follows a more standard progression. It is kinda old, releasing in 2007, still a solid romance series.

If you're looking for something newer, I'd go with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, has both comedy and hints at future romance. Currently at about halfway done, it still has the makings to be best of the season, for me at least.
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down