Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Light level matters.

+2
S7 Sticky
S7 Coolhand
6 posters

Go down

Why Light level matters. Empty Why Light level matters.

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:29 pm

I've heard a lot of conjecture on what leveling past 20 actually does - some thought they change the base stats (three bars at the top - Toughness, Agility, Recovery), but instead it looks like levels just make the abilities increase in damage.

From http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Light

Light is a player attribute that boosts the player's level past 20, increasing the damage done by subclass abilities against higher-level enemies.[1] A player's Light can be increased by equipping armor that boosts it.

[th]Level[/th][th]Required amount of Light to reach[/th]
Level 2120 Light
Level 2232 Light
Level 2343 Light
Level 2454 Light (highest reachable with only rare armor)
Level 2565 Light
Level 2676 Light
Level 2787 Light
Level 2898 Light
Level 29109 Light
Level 30120 Light

Their source is here:
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Why Light level matters. Empty Re: Why Light level matters.

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:17 pm

you just found this out  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

only busting your balls
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:47 pm

They keep it all such a mystery.  Like I had a rifle with +2 agility but the agility bar in the subclass menu doesn't show a value so there's no way to tell how much difference that makes.  The level difference has been noticably different - I just couldn't tell what exactly is increasing.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Ya if it wasn't for onebaddestinyfan I mean husker I wouldn't know ditika about this game, kinda annoying that there isn't more ingame instructions/explanations about sh1t.
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Also you gain +2 light when upgrading the defense on your armor.  I'm not sure if you gain that for each "defense" upgrade or every time you upgrade it as there are 5 separate upgrades for defense on alone on the legendary gloves I'm wearing now.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm not so sure about this wiki entry. Only increases the damage your abilities do?

I don't buy it. Unless by 'abilities' they mean 'everything that causes damage including weapons'.

I've had literally the same autorifle as someone 2 levels higher and seen the ads absolutely melt to their weapon fire while I'm blasting a vandals face for ages to kill it.

This falls in to the similar topic of what exactly are the "Level Advantages" that are disabled for crucible? I've heard everything from weapon damage and armor being normalized (makes sense), to weapon stats being balanced (so a level 6 shingen would be identical to a level 18 shingen), to things about base stats on damage/health/etc being normalized.

Sooo...

Anyone seen a video or something doing actual tests comparing 2 people of different levels shooting the same weapon PvE?

I mainly ask because if the only difference really is the ability powers - I don't see who raids would be much more difficult at a lower level. Typically if you die it's because of a Massive wave of ads, or some 1-hit-kill catches you by surprise. Sure higher base health and better armor means you can get away with slightly more ad damage or a blast hitting a little closer, but that's not the end of the world.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

I have no hard evidence to back up my claim, but it clearly helps in ALL areas, not just "abilities".
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:50 am

Depends on what lvl's you are facing. Light levels supposedly only increase your abilities power levels but you are penalized if you are a lower level then what you are up aginst. So for example, you will do 187 crit (or whatever damage you normally do) on anything your level or lower but less on anything higher level than you. 

So if you are lvl 22 on a 24 Strike, you will do less damage then a lvl 24, even with the same weapon. But a lvl 24 would do the same damage as a lvl 26, from a weapon standpoint. 

In other words, you are penalized for lower levels but not rewarded for higher one. Only grenades, supers and melee will go up in power with levels. Or at least that is my understanding and from my experience, it seems pretty close to that.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 am

That makes more sense then. That way you can't massacre everything too easily as a higher level. It would also explain why those 2 levels make such a huge difference
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am

AtrumX wrote:That makes more sense then. That way you can't massacre everything too easily as a higher level. It would also explain why those 2 levels make such a huge difference

Agreed.  The difference in difficulty in just two levels is pretty staggering, which is why with the weekly this week I'm waiting until this weekend to see if I can get it going with 3 level 26's to take advantage of the extra rewards for doing so.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 am

I think that is why it's "foolish" to attempt the Raid under leveled too.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:I think that is why it's "foolish" to attempt the Raid under leveled too.
You mean why it's HARDCORE!!! First to complete the Raid with no one over level 26! lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down