Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headphones

+5
Black Ajah
S7 Glock
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Atrum
S7 mrmiller
9 posters

Go down

Headphones Empty Headphones

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I know a lot of you play with Headphones, so I's asking which ones you have, and how do you like them? I was thinking of getting some of the TurtleBeach X41's, but want to be sure they are worth the coin, as the Amazon reviews are mixed. Anyone have the X41's? If not, what do you have and how do you like them?

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Headphones Empty Re: Headphones

Post by Atrum Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 pm

If you want headphones with a mic built in the x41's are great. My friend nate has them and they're a massive improvement over previous models (I owned the x3's which had a lot of feedback and were very flimsy). TB always has ridiculous noise detection. I always used them for halo 3 to tell when someone hit any man cannon on the map. I think the Astro a40's were more comfortable for me but I believe they're more spendy. The astro have similar sound quality to sennheiser 555's.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I have the Tritton ax pro's with built in mic...true surround sound 4 speakers in each ear...compatible with xbox, pc, playstation, sterio system, tv...what ever. great sound...you can individually control the volume on each speaker. mute game volume and mic...

http://trittontechnologies.com/products/gaming_audio_technology/#Gaming_Audio
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:20 am

Of course, these are the supreme when it comes to gaming headphones

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/25/A40-Audio-Systems/

A very hefty price tag...

I've been doing some homework and the trittons are getting a better review for sound and all.
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Ajah Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 am

I too have the Trittons, they are awesome.
Cheers,
Black Ajah
Black Ajah
Black Ajah
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Black Ajah

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:40 am

S7 Glock wrote:Of course, these are the supreme when it comes to gaming headphones

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/25/A40-Audio-Systems/

A very hefty price tag...

I've been doing some homework and the trittons are getting a better review for sound and all.

The sound is so good that if I have them turned up too high I get headaches, lol...but at a lower level It's all good! You can tell from which direction the enemy is coming! In fact recently I think this noob was gonna pull that look behind you message on me...but because of my headset I heard him creep up behind me and stop...I looked at the radar map and realized it wasn't a teammate...I took off from a prone position to a full sprint...turned around and filled his tank up full of virtual lead...Trittons FTW!
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:39 am

I wasn't too big on the multi-speakers in the headphones, as they are obviously very small speakers and i was really concerned with sound quality. Of course it is totally possible to get 5.1 surround sound out of two speakers when you are talking about headphones, Sennhizer has been doing it for years. I am kind of concerned about the build quality of the Turtle Beach.

Has anyone played with both types of headphones? What is the sound quality (fidelity) of the Trittons?

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:57 am

Those are pricey but are nice and look comfy.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:08 pm

I wonder if I bought them both at Best Buy, if they would take back the ones I don;t like and give me my refund? I may have to try that out, but I'm not sure my Best Buy has the Trittons. Plus, both of them are $20-$30 cheaper at Amazon.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:17 pm

I would just go through Amazon IMO.
S7 Smack
S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Spend the extra cash and get trittions, the turtle beach ones I got are ok , u got to finesse the mic into the controler, sound quailty kinda weak, they're over priced IMO , I heard the skull candy ones are even better than the tb
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I have the tritton 720 and they are awesome, sound quality is very good. They have simulated surround sound which you can't realler tell that there is only two speakers. You also can control game volume separately from voice volume. On the downside they are not wireless, you have to to run the component cables because the headphone run optically. Soif you cerrently use hdmi cables you will have to switch back to the cables that came with your xbox because that is where the optical port is. I read many reviews before deciding which ones I was going to buy and these seemed to be the best bang for your buck with a price of $130 at best buy.
S7 KnightOwl
S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Not to mention the trittins are xbox ps3 and pc compatable
S7 KnightOwl
S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:18 pm

After looking them over, I really like the Trittons with the 4 speakers, but they also are not wireless. I sit close enough to everything that the wire should not be a problem, but I really want to get a wireless one. IDK.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:20 pm

S7 KnightOwl wrote:I have the tritton 720 and they are awesome, sound quality is very good. They have simulated surround sound which you can't realler tell that there is only two speakers. You also can control game volume separately from voice volume. On the downside they are not wireless, you have to to run the component cables because the headphone run optically. Soif you cerrently use hdmi cables you will have to switch back to the cables that came with your xbox because that is where the optical port is. I read many reviews before deciding which ones I was going to buy and these seemed to be the best bang for your buck with a price of $130 at best buy.

I use HDMI and optical audio... my elite came with an adapter for it... I found one to buy. This may fix your prob knight owl

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=66794

The adapter plugs where the reg video cables go.. it's just sized smaler so you can still plug in the hdmi
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Though not gaming headphones, I did pick up some sweet Sennheiser headphones today. They are the Precision HD 238, which are a light weight, open air, over the ear headphone. They normally retail form about $100, but Best Buy had them for $70. Then they had them on clearance and I got them for $35. These things are sweet. I love Sennheiser headphones, and have a pair of studio Reference cans for the home stereo (535’s I think) that I have had for a while. They are nothing short of amazing, but the problem is that they require quite a bit more power than an MP3 player like the iPOD or Zune can push out to them. (Bigger speakers = better sound = more power). These HD 238’s are smaller, and work really well with my Zune. One cool thing about them is they have one cord going into the left ear, so you do not have the traditional “Y” cord below your neck going to both. Pretty cool, and much more comfortable. But really it is the sound quality that impresses.

I’ve seen them on clearance at a couple of Best Buy stores, so if you are wanting some quality over the ear, open air head phones, I highly recommend you check out Best Buy and pick some up.

BTW- here is a nice review.
http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/sennheiser-hd-238/

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I went ahead and got the Turtle Beach X41's. I'll let you all know how I like them when I get them and put them through the test. I decided I wanted wireless and I needed the optical passthrough to keep my surround sound and the headphones plugged in at all times. Plus it has the aux headphone hack that will make my regular headphones 5.1 surround.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I received my new X41’s last night, and got to try them out on the Halo Reach beta and MW2. I don’t think the Halo beta has all the Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding included with the demo, as it really didn’t sound that great as far as ambient sounds and such, and that’s why I switched over to play some COD too.

First off, the headphones are crystal clear. You can definitely hear everything with such clarity. I wouldn’t say the audio frequency range of the headphones is the best, but that’s comparing them to the Sennheisers I have been using which are exceptional. The lows and the bass is not very strong, though the X41’s have a “bass boost” which does fill it out some. Still, very clear and accurate sounding, which was one of my biggest concerns. It also has a good spatial quality, in that the sound seems to be coming from everywhere in the room, far away and up close, and not just like it’s coming out of headphones on your ears.

The surround decoding is very nice, and works well. I used to have an old Dobly Pro-Logic headphone decoder, and this seems to work even better (of course this is newer tech and Dolby Digital). While playing COD I could definitely tell where most every shot, support vehicle, and footstep was. On one map the chopper was out and I just sat in on place listening to it circle the map. That was pretty cool, and impressed me with the headphones. The technology is great! Again, the distance impresses- it doesn’t just sound like it’s coming from the front or right, but like it’s 50 yards to the Northeast or 100 feet behind, very impressive.

I had some issues at first with the chat feature, but found out it was my plug in the chat-pad that seemed to be giving me problems. I didn’t have any complaints that people couldn’t hear me, and I could hear everyone else just fine. Plus the voice feed back seems to be a good touch, and more like talking on a phone than into a void which would probably cause me to start yelling into the mic during loud moments of game play.

The wireless transmission seems to work great, though I am only a few feet from the base. I did walk around the house with them, and can only get about half way through the house before it starts cutting out. I don’t see that being any kind of a problem.

The only real problem I see right now is something I was reading about in other reviews. These headphones can get loud, and when there is a cut-out or loss of signal, the headphones “pop” and the highest possible volume. Seriously, when it pops it hurts your ear like a tiny explosion going off in your ear canal. The thing is, it pops when signal is lost, like when I was walking though the house to check the range (I never had any other signal loss) and when the voice connection is made/broken. So every time I pull the mic in and out it pops. One of the problems I read about was that the connection can become loose, and then every time you move the mic will pop. Hopefully that doesn’t happen, but I can see how it would and how annoying it would be. Plus if there is/was interference with the wireless signal, it would momentarily cut in and out accompanied with the loud popping noises. I have not had that problem except when I exceeded the range of the transmitter.

All in all these are great so far. I’ll try to give an update after a week or so of using them and let you know if I find any other problems or how well they are performing, as well as how they work in other games and the battery life.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm

i had the same problem with you miller i wanted wireless but i ended up getting tritions 720 at bestbuy and to be honest love them ive used turtle beach head sets before and they feel cheep and just not the quilty you would expect with the money your spent

and also the tritions are sold online for cheeper then bestbuy

found a few sites selling the pros for 150 not 180
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down