Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of the Dark and into the Light...

+5
Atrum
DeadSockPuppet
S7 Panzer
OneBadHuskerFan
S7 Interseptor
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Out of the Dark and into the Light... Empty Out of the Dark and into the Light...

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 am

My little town in the middle of nowhere Mississippi finally got decent internet.  I'm finally out of the dark ages!!!!

Out of the Dark and into the Light... 3705415320

Last edited by S7 Interseptor on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Out of the Dark and into the Light... Empty Re: Out of the Dark and into the Light...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:29 am

Meh, you're still in the dark bro!   Twisted Evil 

Out of the Dark and into the Light... 3705693835

Haha, sorry had to do it.  What was your speed before?  I know you had mentioned it being pretty slow.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Out of the Dark and into the Light... Empty Re: Out of the Dark and into the Light...

Post by S7 Panzer Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 am

That ping is nice though.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 am

Not all of us can have fiber Husker.  I just increased my down and up speeds by 400% and 33% respectively, I dunno what I'd do if I hit your speeds.  Probably wouldn't notice it too much since I really don't do anything aside from playing PS4 that would test it.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:39 am

I was at 7 down and 1 up. And that was the best in town.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:41 am

S7 Interseptor wrote:I was at 7 down and 1 up. And that was the best in town.
Yup, I moved and now get 50/15

It's great being able to stream games without severe lag. Not like I'll ever actually use a full 50M connection lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:43 am

Great news Zac!  Woe to the victims of the lagless KnFu.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:55 am

S7 Interseptor wrote:I was at 7 down and 1 up. And that was the best in town.

Holy crap!  That's a hell of an improvement then!
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 am

S7 SockPuppet wrote:Not all of us can have fiber Husker.  I just increased my down and up speeds by 400% and 33% respectively, I dunno what I'd do if I hit your speeds.  Probably wouldn't notice it too much since I really don't do anything aside from playing PS4 that would test it.

Believe me, I feel very fortunate that I get what I get now...and I actually use it quite a lot.  I do a lot of downloading/streaming.  For most people, you're right, it wouldn't even really matter.  It'll also make a difference later when I get into 4k TV streaming (Netflix) but that will be far in the future.  I also don't have any kind of cap so I can download at my hearts content.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah, your internet is crazy Husker.  I can't even imagine that much speed.  But for me this is like coming out of a fog.  I wasn't sure I'd ever get good service here.  We only have 7000 people in the whole town.  I am super excited.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:39 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Yeah, your internet is crazy Husker.  I can't even imagine that much speed.  But for me this is like coming out of a fog.  I wasn't sure I'd ever get good service here.  We only have 7000 people in the whole town.  I am super excited.

I had read somewhere (on the internet, so I know it was true), than 10/2 was all you needed for optimum play online. You were well below that before, and if anything else was running or streaming, I'm sure it was worse. This should be a noticeable change. I was getting good speeds before they upgraded me, and I didn't notice any difference but the price!

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 pm

LOL!  Fortunately, my upgrade was at the same price I was paying.  Pretty big WIN.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Mine was too. For the first month, then they just happened to raise prices across the board on all services... Humm..

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

For upload odds are you won't experience latency if you're around 1M up. Honestly, lower than that shouldn't really matter much.
Download is extremely variable on your home network. If you have JUST your console on your network, no other chatter or downloads, you would probably be able to play latency free around 3M down. Issue is, normally with download speeds that slow latency tends to be higher as the network is probably antiquated or has other issues.

For me personally, I have played some FPS online with a connection at 512k UP, 1.5M Down and had manageable amounts of lag. Still playable (this was in the MW2 days, so I kept a respectable K/D with the lag - obviously not too bad)

Summary: ISPs want to sell you the biggest pipe because 1 - they can charge you more, 2 - it helps them look better than their competitions, 3 - in the case of a user that actually does utilize high bandwidth, they will be less likely to complain.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I got a notification from Cox recently them at said I needed a new modem because they are doubling my speed for free. Wondering if this is the same thing that happened to yours Matt. I'm still using an old Motorola surfboard I bought way back when I first got cable inet. I don't know anything about this docsys3 stuff or whatever it is.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Comcast made me switch from the old VoIP modem I had to a DOCSIS 3 one for the new speeds because the old modem couldn't handle the new speeds.  The rental is the same so I don't care.  The only real hardware change was that I went from a wireless router and modem to an all-in-one with the new modem.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:I got a notification from Cox recently them at said I needed a new modem because they are doubling my speed for free.  Wondering if this is the same thing that happened to yours Matt.  I'm still using an old Motorola surfboard I bought way back when I first got cable inet. I don't know anything about this docsys3 stuff or whatever it is.

Yes, that is the same. If you want to get the new speeds, you need the new modem. Otherwise, you old one will work fine, it just will not take advantage of the speed boost. Watch for your bill to increase in a few months, then Cox will send you a letter telling you how they improved their network and added new cable channels so they have to get a modest increase in cost.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Out of the Dark and into the Light... 3707593131

During peak hours too. For all the sh!t people give Comcast, I'm a fan.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Im in the same boat as luke, old modem can only get 28 to 32 mbs docis 3 128 ro 158 mbs
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 am

S7 DROOPY wrote:Im in the same boat as luke, old modem can only get 28 to 32 mbs docis 3 128 ro 158 mbs
This is what I was at and am at now.  And I was talking with a couple of the guys trying to decide if I should rent or buy the modem and while it's cheaper by like $80 or so over the 2yr contract to buy one, if there's any problems (normal wear and tear, damage from power spike, etc) Comcast would replace it free as opposed to me having to buy a new one.  So I chose the rental.  That also ensures that my equipment should work with their system.  

That being said, we've been having issues with the laptop connecting to the wireless network and keeping connected to the internet.  Supposedly there's already an issue with how the modem was set up or the modem itself so a tech is coming out look at everything.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 am

My connection is about what yours was Zak. Wish my ISP would upgrade all the connections.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:36 pm

This is my new speeds

Out of the Dark and into the Light... 3707730752

and my old one was

Out of the Dark and into the Light... 3223089722

So I would say it made a difference.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 am

I'll start shopping for a new modem then.  Owning this one has saved me a lot over the last 14 years - renting doesn't seem cost efficient.  I've always kept mine behind a surge protector which has probably helped.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Just make sure to check out your ISPs website.  If they're like Comcast, they should list which models they suggest so you can make sure it's compatible with their system.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:07 pm

S7 SockPuppet wrote:Just make sure to check out your ISPs website.  If they're like Comcast, they should list which models they suggest so you can make sure it's compatible with their system.

Will do.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next