Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this...

+4
S7 Interseptor
Atrum
S7 Sticky
OneBadHuskerFan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this... Empty If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 am

Find one that is a 7200rpm drive as they've been found to significantly decrease game loading times compared the the internal drive.

Xbox One external hard drive brings better load times

Xbox One: External HDD Load Times Comparison Show Close To 50% Improvement

Reddit post with results

For example...

OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this... Empty Re: If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this...

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 pm

thats why ill just buy a  SSD  XD

i love my ssd's on my pc  windows boots up in no time..wish there was a way to move the xb1 OS over to an SSD would make it crazy fast
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this... Empty Re: If you plan on adding an external drive to your Xbox One remember this...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:thats why ill just buy a  SSD  XD

i love my ssd's on my pc  windows boots up in no time..wish there was a way to move the xb1 OS over to an SSD would make it crazy fast

SSD's have been tested on the XB1 also and while they do improve the speed a little bit over the 7200rpm drives it's not nearly as much as the improvement from the internal to the 7200rpm drives.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 pm

it would be but the cap of a 3.0 usb  is what kills the speed... they should just make console with a hot swap dock on it ....

when will console'S ever learn
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:13 pm

How about a 15000rpm drive? Eh?

Edit: USB 3.0 wouldn't slow down a SSD. Their max transfer rates are about the same, so there shouldn't be a significant decrease in performance.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:51 pm

You can put an SSD in the PS4. HDD swap FTW.  Razz
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:You can put an SSD in the PS4. HDD swap FTW.  Razz

More power to people that want to spend that much on an SSD for their drives.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah, I'm too broke to worry about SSD's. Plus last time I looked a 250g was the best you could really get. With digital games hitting 40-50g, I need more space.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Yeah, I'm too broke to worry about SSD's. Plus last time I looked a 250g was the best you could really get. With digital games hitting 40-50g, I need more space.

You can get a good ~500GB one for $250-$300 but I would think if people are going to spend that kind of money on stuff like they they might as well be PC gaming.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Agreed. And I don't thing I would bother replacing the original with anything less than 1 terabyte anyway.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Also, I saw some boot times comparisons from people who did swap for SSD's and it was really only a minor improvement IMO. Not worth the money.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:58 pm

im shocked that SSD dont improve either xb1 or ps4...

for pc there epic upgrades...  my pc boots up from pushing the power button to everything loaded and ready to go in 25 sec's

o well  i got a few Hard drives laying around so ill try a few things out for the funzzzzzzzzzzz
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm

For those prices you could just buy a second console instead but of course that wouldn't upgrade the performance.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:For those prices you could just buy a second console instead but of course that wouldn't upgrade the performance.

Yep, that's why you just stick to the 7200rpm external.  I have one on the way.  Been thinking about it for a bit after seeing the tests for the past week or so and finally pulled the trigger since it was only $64.99 at the time I got it.

Without knowing it I actually ended up getting the same one used in the video, lol.

HGST 1TB Touro Mobile 2.5" External Portable Hard Drive (Black)
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 am

Should be getting my external delivered today.  I ran a couple quick tests last night on Watch Dogs and Forza 5 just for some comparison.  I'll update tonight again when I get the external running.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Update:

Got the drive and went home at lunch and set it up and did the Watch_Dogs test exactly as seen on the OP and the results were exactly the same.  Lots of time saved on the load.  Didn't have time to run the Forza test but I"m sure the results will come back as expected.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Nice, and only $75.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:53 pm

One last test from Forza.

Loaded up Nurburgring in Free Play.  On the internal it took 42 seconds.  On the external it took 30.  Big differences in loading times!
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Lickwid Apex Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:42 am

I'm not a console "fan" by any means, but why didn't Microsoft go for this performance to begin with?

This is of course a rhetorical question.
Lickwid Apex
Lickwid Apex
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Lickwid Apex

http://barbosasworld.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:58 pm

The answer to all your questions is $$$.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:42 am

Old post. Sorry, but wanted your opinions:

Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV5000100)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJU8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407418217&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+3+drives

Yes or no?
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 am

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:Old post. Sorry, but wanted your opinions:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJU8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407418217&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+3+drives

Yes or no?

i  think thats a solid external hhd   and at a good price  
plus 3tb  is alot of data XD
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:33 am

Just keep in mind that from what I understand if it's not a 7200rpm drive you won't get the faster loading times that people with them get on the Xbox One.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am

S7 Sticky wrote:
S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:Old post. Sorry, but wanted your opinions:

Yes or no?

i  think thats a solid external hhd   and at a good price  
plus 3tb  is alot of data XD
Not 3tb bro...going with 5TB!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

awww lol your link takes me to the 3tb  one XD

well sh1t  go big or go home right!!!! lol
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next