Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton...

3 posters

Go down

Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton... Empty Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Excellent article on what's happening and what will be happening.  I'm excited about the future of the XB1.  PS4 guys can joke all they want about MS's "cloud", but it looks like MS is serious about getting more out of future gaming.

Xbox Live Compute: The Difference Engine

Just part of the article, but I thought it would be worth quoting for those that can't get to the link...

Now, we've all heard promises about cloud processing and non-local computation. For a while, it seemed like it might be the future. Then it seemed like perhaps itmight not. The public, burned by an experience which promised so much and delivered so little, returned to thinking of the cloud purely as a handy place to keep save games and MP3s. Now, says Bruno, that might all be about to change with advent of Xbox Live Compute, a service which "is specifically designed to enable game creators to utilize the scalable computing resources that Microsoft deploys within our regional datacenters, to enhance their game experiences beyond what is generally possible with the finite resources of a console."
What that means is not just convenience or multi-device access to content, but a significant extension of the power and scope which the Xbox One can offer developers and players. It means persistent worlds, improved AI, better rendering and dedicated servers for every multiplayer game on the platform. And it's all being offered to developers for free.
"Essentially what we did, about a year and a half ago, was sit down with a big group of game devs, some of whom have talked about their development on the platform," Bruno explains to me. He's the lead program manager of Xbox Live, a role which involves overseeing product direction as well as the engineering teams that build the Compute services.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton... Empty Re: Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton...

Post by Atrum Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah, I've said from the get-go cloud computing is going to do some amazing things on the XBO. Especially a few years in.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton... Empty Re: Pardon my "fanboyism", but to me this matters a ton...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:10 pm

And if anybody needs proof that this included dedicated servers...

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/390168827905835008
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:45 pm

From Albert Penello himself in response to PS4 users claiming that there's no way MS would let devs have free access to these things...

Also to be clear. One of the benefits of publishing games on Xbox One – ALL game developers get Dedicated Servers, Cloud Processing, and “storage” (for save games) free.

If you want to do dedicated servers on other platforms, you have to prop them yourself. But on Xbox One, while developers can choose to use their own methods, we make it available to everyone. 

There should be no confusion on this point. We do not charge developers for Dedicated Servers.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm

That sounds pretty sweet for XB1.  It would be nice to see PS4 have the same options for its devs in the future, but at least one system is going in the right direction.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down