Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all...

+6
DeadSockPuppet
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 Coolhand
S7 OC
Atrum
OneBadHuskerFan
10 posters

Go down

Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all... Empty Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:14 am

Good writeup, but this part caught me by surprise.  As usual MS hadn't even mentioned this at all as part of the family sharing program.

From "Heartbroken MS Employee"

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy.  The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library.  Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world.  There was never any catch to that, they didn't have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone.  When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour.  This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to.  When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all... Empty Re: Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all...

Post by Atrum Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am

Ahh, I'm less disappointed about it now then.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all... Empty Re: Doesn't look like family sharing was going to be that great after all...

Post by S7 OC Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 am

So dumb

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah put that way it soumds nearly identical to the PS4 game demo plan, only with more restrictions.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 pm

yep, not heartbroken now. I can play a demo anytime without asking OC to put me in his family share plan just to play a demo Rolling Eyes.

I thought it was the full monty!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah, it sounded pretty awesome. They were like "FULL ACCESS TO GAMES AND DLC!!!" when really it was like "try out some games for an hour"
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Hmmm, more MS shenanigans or douchebaggery?   

Seriously, this was something that I thought was sweet (especially since I didn't have an issue with MS DRM policy) and I was pretty ticked when they dropped it.  However, now, not so much.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am

I don't feel as bad about Microsofts change of heart now that I know what the family share plan would have been.  Still disapointed overall about their decision though.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm

AtrumX wrote:Ahh, I'm less disappointed about it now then.
hmmm  same if its all true
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 pm

And yet again, maybe it was:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/on-xbox-ones-social-network-canceled-family-share-demos

We'll never really know unless MS actually pulls the trigger on the program.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 am

I see no reason at all that they couldn't still implement it with digital downloads.  It's almost as if MS got pissed and took their ball and went home instead of compromising.  Good thing is there is still time for them to tweak the system if they want.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:57 am

And the could alas add it down the line.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 pm

With allowing the used games, I think they have to keep the developers somewhat happy and so they canceled the family share.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Yeah the whole digital share was to begin a transition of buying disc based games for digital downloads to share instead of using disk to push game sharing.
DerangeMaverick
DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : DerangeMaverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down