Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets

3 posters

Go down

Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets Empty Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets

Post by S7 OC Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am

Just curious to know what some of you guys think about the possibility of any of you who have used Ubuntu on the desktop switching to some thing like this?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets Empty Re: Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am

I have used Linux/UNIX/Ubuntu on desktops, laptops, and Netbooks for a long time and I KNOW it will work on these devices (Android is itself a Linux derivative), however the problem you will encounter is the lack of support from MS/Apple.

I wouldn't just yet.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets Empty Re: Ubuntu touch os for phones and tablets

Post by S7 OC Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 pm

They are coming out with thier own. http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone
They don't need support from apple google of microsoft

Our experience in the PC business makes us the perfect partner for a Linux based tablet. With its distinctive design and user experience, Ubuntu makes an incredible new platform for you to deliver class-leading devices quickly and easily. We support your need to tailor devices to your brand, integrating custom services, content and apps without fragmenting the ecosystem.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:12 pm

You know I love, love, love Linux and thereby it's crazy cousin Ubuntu--but I see this as the Zune of smartphones.

I like Zune, still have the orginial not Zune HD, and use it everyday but it just couldn't compete with the iPod. This will be only a novelty for awhile and you'll find yourself back to iphone and others.

My advice don't do it unless you expect hardship, heartache, and roadblocks put up by the other big companies to make sure this fails. You'll notice immediately things you can't quite do with this one you did with your previous phone. Unless you have cash to burn let it ride.

But if you insist......

S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Looks like it'll be the same experience as Linux on a pc. If you know what you're doing, it's awesome. However it just takes time, use, and a lot of google searches/books to get to that point. You'll likely have a harder time doing some of the basic things, but have the capability to do stuff an apple/windows driven device could never do (easily)

Summary: Basic functionality will work fine (Internet, videos, mail, etc), but you'll run in to issues.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm

I have no current plan to switch from my iPhone right now nor if I was would I choose Ubuntu but I know some of you more tech/ code savvy guys may be interested in that. I prefer the iPhone or android options.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm

It's definitely pretty neat. I just got a Lumia 920 and really like it. Smartglass works great with the xbox.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm

They have smart glass for iOS and android as well. Great app. The lumina is a nice looking phone

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down