Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There will be more Star Wars Movies!

+15
Air7Cav
Abominatus
S7 Zalacious
S7 Magus
OneBadHuskerFan
S7 Epic
S7 Sticky
Atrum
S7 Interseptor
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 OC
DeadSockPuppet
S7 Panzer
S7 wonky
S7 mrmiller
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

There will be more Star Wars Movies! Empty There will be more Star Wars Movies!

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 am

New news I'm sure you have heard from around the internet-

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co agreed to buy filmmaker George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd and its "Star Wars" franchise for $4.05 billion in cash and stock, a blockbuster deal that includes the surprise promise of a new film in the series in 2015.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger told analysts on Tuesday that the plan is to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter. The last "Star Wars" picture was "Revenge of the Sith" in 2005, and Lucas has in the past denied any plans for more.

Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant on the new films.

"It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers," he said in a statement. Lucas will become the second-largest individual holder of Disney shares, with a 2.2 percent stake.

Disney will pay about half the purchase price in cash and issue about 40 million shares at closing.

"This is one of the greatest entertainment properties of all time," Iger said. Like Disney's purchases of Marvel Entertainment and Pixar studio, LucasFilm will "drive long-term value to our shareholders," he said.

Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said the deal would lower Disney's earnings per share by a low single-digits percentage in fiscal 2013 and 2014. He also said Disney would repurchase all of the issued shares on the open market within the next two years, on top of planned buybacks.

This agreement marks the third time in less than seven years that Disney has signed a massive deal to take over a beloved studio or character portfolio, part of its strategy to acquire brands that can be stretched across TV, movies, theme parks and the Internet.

In early 2006, Disney struck a deal to acquire "Toy Story" creator Pixar, and in the summer of 2009 it bought the comic book powerhouse Marvel.

"Disney already has a great portfolio and this adds one more," said Morningstar analyst Michael Corty. "They don't have any holes, but their past deals have been additive."

Iger said he and Lucas first discussed a possible sale about 18 months ago. Lucas was pondering his retirement, and Iger was looking to add another well-known brand to the Disney empire. The two signed the deal at Disney's Burbank, California, headquarters on Tuesday.

"Everywhere I went, 'Star Wars' was already there, and sometimes they got there ahead of us," said Iger in an interview. "I kept seeing that brand and decided maybe we should buy it."

He told analysts he believed there was "substantial pent-up demand" for new "Star Wars" movies. Each of the last three films in the series would have grossed $1.5 billion in today's dollars at the box office, CFO Rasulo estimated.

The film's iconic characters also will boost Disney's sales of toys and other consumer products, particularly overseas, executives said. Sales of "Star Wars" items such as Darth Vader and Yoda action figures total roughly $215 million a year, Rasulo said.

In 2005, the year the last "Star Wars" film was released, LucasFilm generated $550 million in operating income, Rasulo said.

Disney also will be able to extend the presence of the franchise at its theme parks around the globe, Iger said. The company's parks already feature rides based on "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones," another Lucas property.

"Star Wars" characters also are likely to find a home on the Disney XD cable channel, which is aimed at young boys, Iger said.

Iger wouldn't commit to keeping the "Star Wars" operation separate from Disney, as he did with Pixar and Marvel.

And Lucas won't sit on the Disney board despite his 2.2 percent stake in the company, Iger said. The late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who held a large stake in Disney after it bought his Pixar studio, had a seat on the Disney board.

From a fan's perspective, critics said there was sure to be at least some excitement at the prospect of episode seven in the saga of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

"Do I want to see more Star Wars movies? Not really, but they're not making these movies for me," the film writer "Mr. Beaks" wrote on the well-regarded industry site Ain't It Cool News. "There's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, and they worship the prequels like folks my age worshipped the original trilogy."

Besides "Star Wars," the Lucasfilm deal also includes rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise, though Disney did not elaborate on any plans for that series.

(Additional reporting by Michael Erman in New York and Himank Sharma in Bangalore; Writing by Ben Berkowitz; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty and Ciro Scotti)

I'm kind of excited for this. I think handing over the reigns to someone new could really help the Star Wars Franchise, as I'm not sure ol' George has the mind or creativity for it any more. Then again, Disney did John Carter, which wasn't a bad movie but could have been handled so much better than Disney did. What are your thoughts?

~mrmiller

S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

There will be more Star Wars Movies! Empty Re: There will be more Star Wars Movies!

Post by S7 wonky Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 am

just damit disney owns Marvel and star wars , what great movie gen will they take from us again! Evil or Very Mad
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

There will be more Star Wars Movies! Empty Re: There will be more Star Wars Movies!

Post by S7 Panzer Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:53 am

I'm surprised to see Lucas finally letting go of the Star Wars franchise at such an old age. I mean he sold it for around 4 billion dollars but honestly at age 68 I don't see why money is a factor in the decision to sell his franchise to any specific company. I believe Disney has the ability to make these last three movies the best yet. The question is will they make the right choices along that path to reach that goal. I'm personally interested in seeing how they will direct the video game / non-movie related side of Star Wars. If they will focus on the Force Unleashed series or try to make something completely different without creating another Star Wars Knights of the old republic online disaster.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:27 am

My first thought was - WTF? Why did he sell out to the Evil Empire? But the more I think about it it will be nice to have the last three movies made to be able to see the whole 9 movie story. From what I hear some of them are kinda like Episode 1 & 2 (not to epic but give some info) but I would still be nice to see what the entire story is and if Lucas wasn't willing to make the last 3 movies then I guess it's ok that he passed it on to someone that will.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:05 am

I think disney will do I good job I just can't wait to see more Star wars.
It will be interesting to see where they start the new movies from. Do they start a new story line or continue from the end of Return of the Jedi....?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 am

I am pretty stoked about this too!!
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, cause when Disney and Star Wars come together, good things happen...

But all kidding aside I think Disney will do a good job with the franchise. They have the money and talent to do it right. Bring on Episode 7!
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

Very excited, especially because this is the newest Disney princess:

There will be more Star Wars Movies! Princess_leia
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm

i would have hit it back in the day but not know =)
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:24 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:i would have hit it back in the day but not know =)

Like she'd even look at you.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:50 pm

There will be more Star Wars Movies! Enhanced-buzz-24255-1351697881-3
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:53 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:There will be more Star Wars Movies! Enhanced-buzz-24255-1351697881-3

lol! That will be in the next 'remastered' version for sure.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Magus Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I hope they make the next three movies along the story lines outlined in the Timothy Zahn series. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The last Command)
S7 Magus
S7 Magus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Magus

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm

S7 Magus wrote:I hope they make the next three movies along the story lines outlined in the Timothy Zahn series. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The last Command)

They are not going to do that, but it would be awesome. It's been mentioned the new trilogy is an original storyline and not an adaptation of any existing material. I still hold out for a CGI animated type series to cover the Zahn trilogy with all the original voices.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 am

Being a hardcore Star Wars fan, I was a bit taken back by this news and still haven't decided how I feel about Disney now owning the Star Wars intellectual property. Part of me would love to see some new movies without the horrible direction of George Lucas. That man both created and then proceed to ruin the universe he created.

I guess I will reserve judgment when the first new movie hits in 2015.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:14 am

Disney will make Star Wars better than it was.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:28 am

AtrumX wrote:

I hope so.
S7 Zalacious
S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:24 am

S7 Zalacious wrote:
AtrumX wrote:

I hope so.

we all do.... we all do... it will be interesting to see how it comes out who they use for every thing
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Abominatus Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:40 am

Heresy. Heresy. Heresy.

Disney buys Lucasfilm.
This is how it begins.

Disney buys Wal-Mart.
Disney buys Microsoft.
Disney buys GE.
Disney buys Bank of America.
Disney buys Ford.

Now EVERYONE can have a credit card with a fking Mickey Mouse head on it which they use to buy EVERYTHING. This is just sad. Disney will not do it justice. Heresy. Im a SW purist since 1977, and this is just wrong. No one should be in charge of SW except George Lucas. The series is over. I dont care who they put in the drivers seat, it wont be right.
Abominatus
Abominatus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Air7Cav Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 am

Hey Abom, tell us how you really feel - don't hold back. Laughing
Air7Cav
Air7Cav
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Air7Cav

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

I have to disagree with Abominatus here. Lucas practically ruined the originals with re-release after re-release adding crap that didn't need adding. And the new movies (Ep 1, 2 and 3) are OK but not great.

I think his originals are masterpieces but he lost his way somewhere over the years. I think new blood is exactly what the franchise needs and Disney certainly has the money and talent to do it right. Not saying they will but I see the potential. I will reserve my judgement for 2015 and see what happens but I am hopeful.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 pm

I've grown up watching and loving Star Wars. Still have the orignals on VHS sitting by my tv.
Eps 1-3 were awesome for me, not the same as the originals but I still loved the midnight releases, DVD release parties, etc.

That being said, as someone that has read a LOT of the books, grown up on the movies, played all the games, etc I am ECSTATIC for more movies!

I don't care who owns them, more movies is more movies. Heck, I even watch all the silly clone wars stuff. If it's another Star Wars movie coming out then I am happier than if there was not another.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Nate Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:02 pm

i'm banking on the disney star wars movies > prequels
S7 Nate
S7 Nate
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Nate64D

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Say what you will about the prequels but they introduced a whole new generation to Star Wars. My daughter would not give two shits about 4,5, and 6 unless there was the prequels to get her hooked on the universe and Anakin Skywalker. While I personally did not love the prequels they were a telling of a story that we already knew the outcome to and I can only imagine that could be pretty difficult.

I am excited that I get to see some more light sabers and Jedi Mind tricks. So there is no down side as far as I can tell.
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:51 pm

I'd like to see the original actors at least make some cameos for this. I don't have great faith in Disney but I will no doubt go see each at the theatre. I would bet the plot will still be a New Republic vs the remnants of the Empire and space pirates / anarchists and/or others making a power grab like the Hutts, but as much as I enjoyed the Zahn books I think they could do better. Would like to see Thrawn though - I remember first seeing him in the Tie-Figher game I think, so he is an official part of the universe.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next