Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next Darwin award winner?

+3
S7 Interseptor
Atrum
S7 mrmiller
7 posters

Go down

The next Darwin award winner? Empty The next Darwin award winner?

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am

Don't read on a full stomach-

http://news.yahoo.com/man-dies-live-roach-eating-contest-fla-215822212.html

..MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

The medical examiner's office said Tuesday it has sent samples of Archbold's remains for testing, but results are not expected for another week or two.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

The grand prize has been put aside in Archbold's name and will be given to his estate, Siegel told the AP.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."

pale No pale No pale No pale No pale No pale No pale No

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

The next Darwin award winner? Empty Re: The next Darwin award winner?

Post by Atrum Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

Interesting, I'll be interested to see if they release the autopsy results.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah, eating cockroaches shouldn't kill you.

(Also, unrealated, you ruined it Miller. Good going.)
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:22 pm

one word, three letters...WOW!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Yeah, eating cockroaches shouldn't kill you.

(Also, unrealated, you ruined it Miller. Good going.)

Unless you're allergic to them apparently?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 pm

What if you were swallowing them whole as in an eating contest, and they ate through your stomach? Meal worms will do that, so why can't a roach?

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm

S7 mrmiller wrote:What if you were swallowing them whole as in an eating contest, and they ate through your stomach? Meal worms will do that, so why can't a roach?

~mrmiller

I thought of that too. Live roaches in the stomach is probably a bad idea. Not sure how fast they would be able to kill you though, if they even could kill you. It said he collapsed right after the contest ended. And other animals eat live insects whole. I think that the stomach acid would probably kill most anything before it could hurt you but I really don't know for sure.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:20 pm

thought about the stomach acid too. Also thought about the heat, but I think the stomach walls are about the same temperture 98.6 or slightly above--not overly hot and roaches can live in those conditions. But the acid I think does the trick.

Odd since people on that silly show do it with roaches, worms and other wild exotic crap and none have ever died. I know because I see them later eating more ridiculous crap after the roaches. Guess this pet shop thought if they can do it we can too. Surprised the family isn't "lawyering up" to sue!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:Surprised the family isn't "lawyering up" to sue!

Must be what the waivers are for. It's weird that he was the only one who experienced problems after the contest where everybody else was fine. So I wouldn't expect that the roaches were contaminated in any way. I would suspect more toward any allergic reation. People probably don't know they are allergic to roaches because... well... people don't normally eat roaches. Maybe the roaches ate their way through somewhere or maybe they got stuck in his throat, making it difficult to breathe. Strange.
Xpert2010
Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Roaches will be the only thing left living after nuclear winter, and you think stomach acid has an effect? Heck, it can't disolve corn how is it to get through the insect shell? (Sorry- I am a chemist). Only half way joking, as I think it can happen. Meal worms can do it, and they are pet food. Can you imagine if the roach did chew through the stomach and then that entered the abdominal cavity? I'm sure that could kill you fairly quick, but I would guess there would be many symptoms first (mainly aggonizing pain). I would be surprised if the guy wasn't on something and that killed him (wouldn't you have to be to eat that many live roaches to win something like a $200 python you have no need/home for?). Anyhow, I think I'm feeling a little sick now.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

In all seriousness Miller, how could they not suffocate within your stomach. They are not exactly air breathing insects and don't have lungs but they do the rythmic in/out vibration thing to exhale CO2. They would die. Perhaps they eat through the stomach wall in a panic... Shocked
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:In all seriousness Miller, how could they not suffocate within your stomach. They are not exactly air breathing insects and don't have lungs but they do the rythmic in/out vibration thing to exhale CO2. They would die. Perhaps they eat through the stomach wall in a panic... Shocked

My understanding is that when air deprived, cockroaches go into anaerobic metabolism and can survive for a long time in that state. No clue what the actual upper limits are or what their activity level would be.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:Perhaps they eat through the stomach wall in a panic... Shocked

That is exactly what I am saying- those little suckers have a knack for survival! I do think it's a possibility (but not what probably happened).

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow! I have always heard about cockroaches surviving nuclear fallout but I have done some looking into them today and it's pretty freaking scary. They can actually survive being microwaved and can live without their head for weeks after a meal before starving to death. The can also survive underwater for more than 30 mins being completely submerged. Tough little bastards.

Not so sure about the stomach acid anymore LOL! On the other hand they do seem susceptible to the common house shoe. As well as insect poison so it's a tough call.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

tell you what, this has to be the most thought I've ever put into roaches!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 pm

That's a crazy story! I all say I'm a little diss appointed this wasn't about a weed od, which the Geto in me always thinks about when people talk about roaches
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Abominatus Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm

You eat enough roaches without knowing about it, he died because he put thought into it. One lb of hamburger is allowed so many maggots, how many roaches is that? Roaches make u strong. Buck up cowboy.

I have been drinking. I just found out that I am not on call. WAHOO.
XX TERMINATE BOTTLE OF VODKA XX
Abominatus
Abominatus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down