Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting

+12
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Shuntentatsu
S7 Vision67
S7 Epic
DerangeMaverick
DeadSockPuppet
S7 Panzer
S7 Coolhand
Reza WRX
Atrum
OneBadHuskerFan
S7 Wiggles1778
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting Empty 12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:03 pm

It's been all over the news... but in case you missed it...

- A Man opened fire at the Batman premiere in Colorado
- 24 Year old PhD student (Neuroscience)
- Man claimed his was The Joker
- Used 3 Weapons (AR-15, Remington 870 shotgun and a 40 caliber Glock handgun)
- 10 Dead at the scene, 2 later in hospital
- 70 injured

The suspected "lone-wolf" shooter of the Batman movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colo. earlier today has been identified as Ph.D. student James Holmes, who recently withdrew from his neuroscience studies at the University of Colorado before shooting up "The Dark Knight Rises" screening.

Holmes, 24, moved to Aurora to pursue his Ph.D.at the University of Colorado medical center, living just blocks from the hospital in an apartment that is now laced with explosives and being searched by Haz-Mat teams.

Holmes killed at least 12 people and injured as many as 50, including U.S. military members, during the midnight premiere of the movie at the Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora early this morning. He barged into the theater mid-show, setting off smoke bombs and stalking up and down the aisles firing as many as four weapons at viewers.

He was captured by police in the parking lot while still wearing a bullet-proof vest, riot helmet, and gas mask.

Moviegoer Christopher Ramos today recalled the real-life horror of the midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises," in Aurora, Colo., as a gunman decked in riot gear set off smoke bombs and opened fire on the unsuspecting audience.

"People were running everywhere, running on top of me, like kicking me, jumping over me. And there were bodies on the ground," Ramos said. "I froze up. I was scared. I honestly thought I was going to die."

"The image in our heads is stuck in there. I still have the ticket right here and honestly, I'm never going to forget this night at all. Because it was the first time I saw something that was real. Like a real-life nightmare that was there, not dreaming of," Ramos told ABC News today.

Read More: One Victim Had Narrowly Escaped Toronto Shooting

Holmes was caught by police in the parking lot of the movie theater shortly after the shooting still dressed in his riot gear, an outfit eerily similar to a villain in "The Dark Knight Rises." He warned police that his Aurora apartment was booby-trapped, leading police to evacuate the apartment complex. They were working this morning to gain entry to and diffuse the apartment, which they said seems to be "elaborately" rigged with explosives.

"The pictures we have from inside the apartment are pretty disturbing considering how elaborate the apartment is booby trapped," police said outside of the apartment complex today. The "flammable and explosive" materials could have blown up Holmes' apartment building and the ones near it, police said.

The apartment complex is home exclusively to University of Colorado Medical Center students, patients, and staff members, residents tell ABC News.

Witnesses in the movie theater said Holmes saw smoke and heard gunshots that they thought were aprt of the movie until they saw Holmes standing in front of the screen, after entering from an emergency exit. Holmes methodically stalked the aisles of the theater, shooting people at random, as panicked movie-watchers in the packed auditorium tried to escape, witnesses said.

"You just smelled smoke and you just kept hearing it, you just heard bam bam bam, non-stop. The gunman never had to reload. Shots just kept going, kept going, kept going," one witness told ABC News.

"I'm with coworkers and we're on the floor praying to God we don't get shot, and the gunshots continue on and on, and when the sound finally stopped, we started to get up and people were just bleeding," another theatergoer said.

Photos: Shooting "Dark Knight Rises" Screening in Aurora, Colorado

Police said 10 victims died inside the theater, while dozens of others were taken to local hospitals, including a child as young as 6 years old.

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."

The woman and her husband later released a statement saying their "hearts go out to those who involved in this tragedy and to the families and friends of those involved. We are still trying to process this information and we appreciate that people will respect our privacy."

Holmes was wearing a bullet-proof vest and riot helmet and carrying a gas mask, rifle, and handgun, when he was apprehended, according to police. Federal Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms sources told ABC News that agents will begin tracing an assault rifle, shotgun, and two handguns used in the attack.

As he was taken into custody, Holmes mentioned having "booby-trapped" his apartment with explosives stored, leading police to evacuate his entire North Aurora apartment complex and search the buildings early this morning. Hazmat officers are expected to arrive at the complex sometime this morning.

The highly-anticipated third installment of the Batman trilogy opened to packed auditoriums around the country at midnight showings on Friday morning, and features a villain named Bane who wears a bulletproof vest and gas mask. Trailers for the movie show explosions at public events including a football game. Though many moviegoers dressed in costume to attend the opening night screening, police have made no statements about any connection between the gunman's motives and the movie.

Read More: NRA Deletes Tweet After Shooting

Police in New York have intensified security around showings of the film throughout the five boroughs today, with police commissioner Ray Kelley saying that "as a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the 'The Dark Knight Rises' is playing."

The Paris premiere of the movie has been cancelled in the wake of the shootings. "Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time," the movie's producers said in a statement.

Witnesses watching movies in theaters next to the one where the shooting took place said bullets tore through the theater walls and they heard screaming.

"The suspect throws tear gas in the air, and as the tear gas appears he started shooting," said Lamar Lane, who was watching the midnight showing of the movie with his brother. "It was very hard to breathe. I told my brother to take cover. It took awhile. I started seeing flashes and screaming, I just saw blood and people yelling and a quick glimpse of the guy who had a gas mask on. I was pushed out. There was chaos, we started running."

One witness said she saw people dropping to the ground after the gunshots began.

"We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant," witness Christ Jones told ABC's Denver affiliate KMGH. "I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two."

A man who talked to a couple who was inside the theater told ABC News, "They got up and they started to run through the emergency exit, and that when she turned around, she said all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people," he said. "The gunshots continued to go on and on and then after we didn't hear anything...we finally got up and there was people bleeding, there was people obviously may have been actually dead or anything, and we just ran up out of there, there was chaos everywhere."

Read More: Obama and Romney Respond to Shooting

Witnesses and victims were taken to Gateway High School for questioning.

Hundreds of police and FBI agents are involved in the investigation. A senior official who is monitoring the situation in Washington said that early guidance based on the early snapshot of this man's background indicated that this act does not appear to be linked to radical terrorism or anything related to Islamic terrorism.

Though police have said that they believe the shooter was acting alone, they checked all cars in the parking lot and cleared the area near the theater.

Dr. Comilla Sasson, at the University of Colorado Hospital where many of the victims were taken, said they are currently operating on nine critical patients and have treated 22 in all. She called the hospital "an absolutely terrifying scene all night."

"The good news is that the 3-month-old has actually been discharged home and is in the care of their parents

In a statement, President Obama said, "Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."

A man who was in the adjacent theater with his son, said that the commotion began as one of the action scenes was starting up.

"These guys came through, and they say someone's shooting," he said. "I thought, 'Oh, they must have heard the fireworks, you know ... I had no idea. And then the alarms started to go off in the theater.'"

An explosive device was also found inside the movie house. Police are not sure whether the device, which investigators are calling a bomb, was already in place or whether it was thrown into the crowd.

Ambulances rushed to the scene as audience members fled the theater.

Investigators are now interviewing friends and associates of the suspect to get a sense of the man's background.
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Wiggles1778

http://www.twitch.tv/Wiggles78

Back to top Go down

12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting Empty Re: 12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Yep, been paying attention to it all day here at work. Terrible thing that has happened.

Listened to some of the audio from the 911 calls/police scanners. Pretty crazy sh1t.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting Empty Re: 12 Dead in Colorado Batman Shooting

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Also, not to take it off topic too much, but who the f#ck takes a 3 month old to a movie theater?
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:08 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:Also, not to take it off topic too much, but who the f#ck takes a 3 month old to a movie theater?

That's exactly what I said! I could understand a matinee with hardly any people during nap time or something similar. But a midnight premier? Silly.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by Reza WRX Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

This is truly a tragedy and something that surely none of us will forget about any time soon. It scares me to think that there are sick and twisted people like this in our world. These types of rampage killings have been happening way too often lately.
Reza WRX
Reza WRX
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : Reza WRX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

This is terrible. What a loser.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Relevant...

OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 am

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:Relevant...

That video sad, but true.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 am

That video sucks but Charlie is pretty good at calling out douchebaggery where he sees it.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:08 am

This is definetly fucked up. This guy deserves what he gets. I heard about it yesterday morning on way to work and couldnt believe it.

What bad also is that the mom knew it was her son who did it, i mean if you had a hint your kid would do something like this why not report his ass.
DerangeMaverick
DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : DerangeMaverick

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

DerangeMaverick wrote:What bad also is that the mom knew it was her son who did it, i mean if you had a hint your kid would do something like this why not report his ass.

I'm not trying to defend her but I think when your child has just gone on a killing spree, processing your emotions and deciding how to handle things has got to be pretty hard...
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What really did it for me was that he booby trapped his apartment. I haven't heard of any mass killing suspect to have ever done so since I've been alive. Death by cop, taking your own life? "Standard" resolutions in mass killings. But booby trapping your apartment? Not insane. I'd understand insanity.

This was for infamy. That's the sickest part of the whole thing.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:04 pm

But if he did it for infamy, why would give them the information that the apartment was booby trapped....
Shuntentatsu
Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : shuntentatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 pm

anyone hear that he signed up for match.com and that in his info it said you had to be willing to date him while he was in jail. This was before he shot up the theater.
DerangeMaverick
DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Hello...I know I've been busy lately and rarely pop in anymore but just wanted to say (without getting this thread too far off course or too political) if there weren't so many screwed up laws about gun control and we could all conceal carry if we wanted, people would think twice before doing this. If he walked in and 45-50 other people potentially had a few handguns he could have been stopped. Instead, since we ALL know the law-biding "good guy" American citizen have no guns or are forced to jump through hoops to obtain what the Constitution of the United States says we can have, the crazy people are free to shoot at will with no fear of consequences.

That is all.
Again, sorry for the rant but just tired of the dumb s^&t at this point.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Who brings a gun in to a theater anyway? Just about everyone I know owns several guns, more than a few even keep one in their cars. But to the theater? With the way the world is now you would garner more suspicion than anything. Let's be honest, if the bullets started flying and everyone ran at the assailant there would have been far fewer casualties.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:Hello...I know I've been busy lately and rarely pop in anymore but just wanted to say (without getting this thread too far off course or too political) if there weren't so many screwed up laws about gun control and we could all conceal carry if we wanted, people would think twice before doing this. If he walked in and 45-50 other people potentially had a few handguns he could have been stopped. Instead, since we ALL know the law-biding "good guy" American citizen have no guns or are forced to jump through hoops to obtain what the Constitution of the United States says we can have, the crazy people are free to shoot at will with no fear of consequences.

That is all.
Again, sorry for the rant but just tired of the dumb s^&t at this point.

I don't really see that as off-topic because in the end it comes down to things like you mention.

Take the following video for example...

This guy might have saved multiple deaths. All gun controls are doing is making the innocent people more vulnerable IMO.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Klown I was actually shocked that no one had a gun and or shot back at him. Aurora, Colorado. Buckley Air Force Base is in Aurora. I know it's not the Army of Marines but still. I am not a huge gun activist but the more and more I hear about crazy ass people like this with that kind of weaponry it sure makes me think about it.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

apperantly there where some military personnel there but they ducked and covered.
DerangeMaverick
DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Chippy Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 am

DerangeMaverick wrote:apperantly there where some military personnel there but they ducked and covered.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1119395
S7 Chippy
S7 Chippy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : ChipN3gan | Xbox One |

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:52 am

S7 OC wrote:Klown I was actually shocked that no one had a gun and or shot back at him. Aurora, Colorado. Buckley Air Force Base is in Aurora. I know it's not the Army of Marines but still. I am not a huge gun activist but the more and more I hear about crazy ass people like this with that kind of weaponry it sure makes me think about it.

That theater has a no gun policy, If it had allowed it somebody as in the case of the video could have had a fighting chance. There have been two recent cases here in Ca, one where a guy shot up his ex-wifes beauty shop killed a lot of people. And some dumb guy who's girl friend broke up with him standing in the middle of the street in west hollywood I think shooting people as they drive by. I wish I lived in a "shall issue" state for concealed carry...because I would be packing if I could. But I do think those that do should be properly trained before they do, unless they have a immediate threat to their life. Eventually I will apply anyway. The times we live in are getting worse.
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 am

I've always followed the law and have always been a straight laced dude when it comes to that. But it's at the point where I'm about to start carrying no matter what the law says. If I end up in a situation where it's me or him to save my life and the lives of my family members so be it...let the law deal with me afterwards, but the threat will be eliminated POST HASTE!
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Chippy Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:24 pm

S7 Chippy
S7 Chippy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : ChipN3gan | Xbox One |

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:39 pm

It's too bad he didn't just put a bullet in his own head instead of what happened. I'll never understand the point of taking countless lives and then ending up in prison until I die. If you are that fucked up then just put a shot into your skull and get it over with.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Abominatus Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I carry a gun when I leave my house. Im licensed, and have permit to carry a concealed weapon. I dont advertise the fact. I have a family to protect. All my rl friends here are either law enforcement or military. The world has gone to hell as far as who can do what etc.. etc.. ad nauseum. I have guns and ammo stowed throughout my house. I pity the burglar who walks into my house because they wont be walking out. Someone starts capping people anywhere near me and its game over. I will sit in my jail cell with a clear conscience, knowing that with God as my witness I did the right thing. Sick lazy fks are everywhere, its the motivated ones you hear about. I encourage every one of you to own a gun and take a gun class. Get permits. Do it legal. Keep them current. If you are not a gun owner, youre just setting yourself up to be the victim of one.
Abominatus
Abominatus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next