Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neat tool for testing your ISP quality

4 posters

:: General :: PC Games

Go down

Neat tool for testing your ISP quality Empty Neat tool for testing your ISP quality

Post by Lickwid Apex Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:28 am

While troubleshooting an intermittent internet issue I came across a great tool for logging packet loss and high/lo/average ping times per hop. Just type in the IP or web address and hit go.

WinMTR
Lickwid Apex
Lickwid Apex
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Lickwid Apex

http://barbosasworld.com

Back to top Go down

Neat tool for testing your ISP quality Empty Re: Neat tool for testing your ISP quality

Post by Atrum Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Just glanced over the site, but isn't that pretty much the same things as opening a command prompt and typing:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t

Although if you want really good, solid data on your connection I recommend testing your line statistics. This is done differently depending on what type of modem but the basic procedure:
(using a GUI)
Open an Internet Browser
Type in the address bar "192.168.1.254"
This should bring you to the modem interface
Find a 'Statistics' button
Look for the SN Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and CRC Errors
Here's a breakdown:
SN Margin: 10 dB or higher. Technically you can connect as low as 6 dB or so, but really anything below 12 is fairly horrendous. If you're around 30dB then you're doing amazing.
Line Attenuation: 60dB and above is terrible. 20dB or lower is spectacular.
CRC errors: You want none. Reset the modem if you have any and it resets the count to 0.

Other things:
TX power: Power moving through line, should be below 15dB
DSL Rate (or ATM rate, either is assuming you have DSL): The speed you pay for. Should match up with what you signed a contract for.

As a side note, a good practice is to test line stats:
-First, where you plug the modem in.
-Second plug in to your NID (box the phone comes to your house at) and check the stats there.

If the stats are good at the NID, your house has wiring issues.
If the stats are bad at the NID, tell your ISP to fix their problems.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Neat tool for testing your ISP quality Empty Re: Neat tool for testing your ISP quality

Post by S7 Panzer Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Now this is the stuff I need to be learning in school. I'm tired of the teacher starting the class with " What is Memory? " and I put my head down and cry when other people ask the simple question what is the different between main memory ( Hard drive) and secondary memory ( cache ).
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:30 pm

S7 Panzer wrote:Now this is the stuff I need to be learning in school. I'm tired of the teacher starting the class with " What is Memory? " and I put my head down and cry when other people ask the simple question what is the different between main memory ( Hard drive) and secondary memory ( cache ).

Unless you intend on focussing your entire career towards working for an ISP, I can think of plenty of other things to be learning instead of this.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 pm

S7 Epic wrote:
S7 Panzer wrote:Now this is the stuff I need to be learning in school. I'm tired of the teacher starting the class with " What is Memory? " and I put my head down and cry when other people ask the simple question what is the different between main memory ( Hard drive) and secondary memory ( cache ).

Unless you intend on focussing your entire career towards working for an ISP, I can think of plenty of other things to be learning instead of this.

Or working as tech support for any mid size to large company ever.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Well honestly if a computer engineer or computer science major is asking questions like " What is memory " or " What is a tower " I might just have to tell them to find a different major.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 am

AtrumX wrote:
S7 Epic wrote:

Or working as tech support for any mid size to large company ever.

Dream big.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down