Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox Beacon

5 posters

Go down

Xbox Beacon Empty Xbox Beacon

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 am

I pulled this from a Yahoo! News article. Looks like a cool feature to set up clan matches and tournaments.

Announced on the official Xbox.com blog, the Xbox 360 team at Microsoft has replaced the “My Xbox” section of the site with a section of the site simply called “Social”. Users will immediately be directed to the new Social page when logging into the Xbox site with a gamertag. While the look of the site has changed slightly, the most notable addition within this new social push is access to the Beacon feature that’s included in the upcoming Xbox 360 dashboard update. Beacon is a hybrid of a message and a notification that lets other players know that a user wants to play a game immediately or sometime in the future. For instance, a Xbox Live member could leave a Beacon for another player asking to play multiplayer in Gears of War 3 later that evening.

By including this capability on Xbox.com, players don’t have to be at a console to schedule a game. Xbox 360 owners can schedule matches while sitting at work. It’s also possible that Microsoft will open up the API for Beacon to third party developers allowing for mobile apps that tie into the messaging system. To setup a Beacon, a user goes to the game page within the Activity feed and clicks on “Set Beacon”. Each Beacon has a limit of a 40 character message and Xbox 360 owners can create three Beacons at any given time. With the Beacon set, players will be alerted when friends are playing the same game and the activity feed can be searched for Beacons among the friend’s list.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Xbox Beacon Empty Re: Xbox Beacon

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 pm

This sounds like it will be pretty cool. No more sending messages to everyone asking for an invite, pissing them off and screwing up their game. Any ideas on when the new dashboard update goes into effect?
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBadHuskerFan Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:14 pm

S7 SockPuppet wrote:Any ideas on when the new dashboard update goes into effect?

Microsoft still has not said when it plans to release the Dashboard update to all Xbox 360 owners, but it's been suggested that the date may be as early as November 15, which would correspond to the 10-year anniversary of the launch of the original Xbox.

Makes sense to me being that the 15th is Tuesday, which is when MS likes to release their xbox related stuff.
OneBadHuskerFan
OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I'll have to keep an eye out for more info on this.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Nate Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 pm

oh god.... not more beacons... i thought we had run out of those in homefront
S7 Nate
S7 Nate
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : S7 Nate64D

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Actually sounds pretty cool I look foreward to using that feature. Did you see any other info on what else might be included with that update?
S7 KnightOwl
S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down