Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a new book to read

+9
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 mrmiller
S7 Vision67
S7 Panzer
S7 Sticky
S7 Magus
DeadSockPuppet
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 OC
13 posters

Go down

Need a new book to read Empty Need a new book to read

Post by S7 OC Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:30 am

I just finished reading Six graves to Munich by Mario Puzo. I am a fan of Puzo's books and this was a good easy read that kept me reading it as it was not easy to put down. I'm looking for a new book to read any suggestions? Other books I have read recently The five people you meet in heaven, a Helmet for my pillow, A book called Carnage Cops and Deadlines a book documenting a New England Police reporter's behind the scenes view of all the things he had seen while being a reporter (local writer)

Any suggestions?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Need a new book to read Empty Re: Need a new book to read

Post by S7 SecurityGuy Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:39 am

While not really a deep, or thought provoking, author Stuart Woods is pretty good. Have you read any of his work lately?
S7 SecurityGuy
S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 am

I know they're kind of pop culture, but the Hunger Games series is pretty good. They're kind of like Most Dangerous Game/Running Man. I'm also reading a book called The Historian which is about the search for Dracula over three different generations.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Magus Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Max Brooks Official Zombie Survival Guide. World War Z
S7 Magus
S7 Magus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Magus

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:49 pm

i like pop up books!!!!!!
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Panzer Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm into the Halo book series and they currently have 13 books out. Start reading.
S7 Panzer
S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:20 pm

S7 Magus wrote:Max Brooks Official Zombie Survival Guide. World War Z
I have had an interest in this one I'll have to pick it up.

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Vision67 Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I can second World War Z. I read it a couple years ago and could NOT PUT IT DOWN. The way the narrative is driven as a series of discarded UN solicited interviews about the outbreak is very convincing, and at times very harrowing. Sometimes I forgot I was reading a fiction because the narrative is presented unflinchingly as a live on the ground report.

Edit: Looking at my bookshelf what pops out is Good Omens and American Gods, both by Neil Gaiman.
S7 Vision67
S7 Vision67
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Loose LL Change

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 pm

S7 Vision67 wrote:

I can second World War Z.

I concur.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 am

You know you are going to follow your leader and read these:

VINEYARD HAVEN, Massachusetts (Reuters) - President Barack Obama, perhaps seeking a break from harsh reality after a tough summer battling the economy and Republicans in Congress, has picked a summer reading list that is long on fiction.

The White House says four of the five books that Democrat Obama has to choose from during a nine-day family vacation here are novels.

Obama's reading list -- like the criticism from Republicans for vacationing while the economy is stumbling -- is a rite of the summer.

But his choices ignored the weighty biographies of great Americans typically on a president's reading list.

Obama picked up two of the books on an outing with daughters Sasha and Malia on Friday: "The Bayou Trilogy," a mystery collection by Daniel Woodrell set in Louisiana, and "Rodin's Debutante," a novel by Ward Just with a character who becomes politically conscious after moving to a rough neighborhood on Chicago's south side, echoing Obama's time there as a community organizer before he entered politics.

The president also bought along books: "Cutting for Stone," a novel by Abraham Verghese that traces the lives of two boys who are born joined at the skull in Ethiopia, and "To the End of the Land," a novel by David Grossman of a mother who tries to keep her son alive while he is at war by hiking the length of Israel, hoping that if she cannot be reached to be told of his death, he won't die.

He also brought "The Warmth of Other Suns," by Isabel Wilkerson, the only non-fiction work on the list, which describes America's migration of blacks from the South.

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:14 am

All wonderful titles, but let me approach this from a different perspective...
I'll provide a few tech books or "GEEK" titles to keep the old brain ticking:

1. Sed and Awk, by Dale Dougherty and Arnold Robbins. Sed and Awk have transformed the way I worked on Linux command line. This book is the only material you would ever need on Sed and Awk. Once you’ve mastered even the basics of Sed and Awk, you’ll be amazed with the amount of complex tasks you can perform very quickly and elegently. For my day-to-day quick reference of sed and awk examples, I use the Sed and Awk Pocket Reference, written by the same author.

2. Learning the Vi and Vim Editors, by Arnold Robbins. I’m a command-line junkie. So, naturally I’m a huge fan of Vi and Vim editors. Several years back, when I wrote lot of C code on Linux, I used to carry the Vi editor pocket reference with me all the times. Even if you’ve been using Vi and Vim Editors for several years and have not read this book, please do yourself a favor and read this book. You’ll be amazed with the capabilities of Vim editor.

3. Bash Cookbook, by Carl Albing, JP Vossen and Cameron Newham. Whether you are a sysadmin, DBA or a developer, you have to write shell script at some point. A wise sysadmin knows that once you’ve mastered the shell-scripting techniques, you can put your servers on auto-pilot mode by letting the shell-scripts do the grunt work. To get to the auto-pilot mode of sysadmin, you definitely need to master the examples provided in this cookbook. There are quiet few Bash shell books out there. But, this books tops them all by giving lot of detailed examples.

4. SSH, The Secure Shell, by Daniel J. Barrett, Richard E. Silverman and Robert G. Byrnes. This is hands-down the best book on SSH. This book explains both theoretical and practical aspects of SSH. Using SSH as an end-user is fairly straight forward . But, configuring SSH as an administrator is complex and involves a detailed understanding of SSH. This is a must read for any system administrator. The examples in this book show exactly what needs to be done differently for the different flavors of SSH such as SSH1, SSH2 and OpenSSH.

5. Essential System Administration, by Eleen Frisch. This is an excellent book for those who like to become a Unix System Administrator. This book covers all the typical system administration tasks. This is a perfect companion when you are dealing with multiple flavors of Unix, as it has examples for AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris and Tru64. I’ve used the pocket version of this book — Essential System Administration Pocket Reference, when I was managing multiple flavors of Unix systems at the same time.

6. Linux Server Hacks, Volume One, by Rob Flickenger. 100 awesome practical hacks packed in one book. Setup a Linux test bed and try out all these hacks. These hacks are neatly grouped into different sections — Server Basics, Revision Control, Backups, Networking, Monitoring, SSH, Scripting, and Information Servers. Once you’ve mastered these hacks, you should absolutely read Linux Server Hacks, Volume Two, by William von Hagen and Brian Jones, which has 100 Linux hacks focussed on authentication, monitoring, security, performance and connectivity.

7. DNS and BIND, by Cricket Liu and Paul Albitz. Several years ago, I configured my first DNS by reading online documentation. I brought this book to understand how DNS and BIND works. I’ve already upgraded this book twice when a newer edition was released. This should definitely be in your library, if you are a serious system administrator.

8. Understanding the Linux Kernel, by Daniel Bovet and Marco Cesati. If you are a serious developer on Linux environment or a sysadmin, this is a must read. This books explains the inner workings of the Linux Kernel 2.6 in a structured and logical way. This talks about how Kenel handles the Memory Management, Process scheduling, I/O architecture and Block devices. Overall this book is a treat for geeks who are curious to explore what is under the hood of Linux.

9. Linux Cookbook, by Carla Schroder. This book covers Linux features from both users and system administrators point of view. There are two chapters dedicated for installing and managing software on RPM-based system and Debian. If you use RedHat, the Linux Pocket Guide, by Daniel J. Barrett is an excellent addition to your library, which covers all the essential Linux command with a sample usage.

10. Linux Firewalls, by Michael Rash. To build a secure Linux system, you must read this book. There are quiet few books out there for iptables. But, this one talks specifically about the fundamentals of how to configure an Intrusion Detection System using iptables, psad and fwsnort. If you want a comprehensive handy reference of all the things iptables can do with specific examples, Linux Iptables Pocket Reference, by Gregor N. Purdy is the best.

11. Linux Administration Handbook, by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder and Trent R. Hein. During my early days of system administration, I’ve referred this book frequently. This is pretty detailed book with close to 1000 pages and 30 chapters that are nicely grouped together in three high level sections — Basic Administration, Networking and Bunch O’ Stuff.

12. Beginning Ubuntu Linux, by Keir Thomas and Jaime Sicam. For those who like to transition from Windows to Linux, install Ubuntu Linux on one of your old laptop or desktop and get this book. I strongly believe in spreading the news about Linux to those who don’t use it. If you want any of your loved ones or friends to learn Linux, install Ubuntu on an old laptop and give this book as a gift to them. They’ll definitely be very thankful to you.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

While you're becoming a Linux DBA, might as well try this out:

String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John H. Schwarz
It starts out a little slow but once you get to the calabi-yau compactifications of the heterotic string it's really going to get your heart racing.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Need a new book to read Veryhungrycaterpillar
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:06 pm

S7 Epic wrote:Need a new book to read Veryhungrycaterpillar

lol
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Richie Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Guide Review - 'One Second After' by William Forstchen - Book Review
William R. Forstchen is accustomed to asking "what if" questions. In One Second After, Forstchen asks not what could have been, but what will be the results of an EMP attack.

Electromagnetic pulses result from natural phenomena and in much greater strength from nuclear blasts. EMPs fry unprotected electronics. A nuclear bomb set off at a high altitude could cause electronics over a large swathe of the planet to fail. Little has been done to protect the US from this threat. This novel depicts what life might be like in the case of an EMP attack.

With no electronics vehicles won't run. How do we move necessities without modern transportation? Without electronics, we have no phones, computers, radios, or televisions. How do we communicate? How do we grow food or run our factories without vehicles or electricity? In One Second After, a lack of food and medicine leads to mass death. Society crumbles. Cities turn against the countryside and friends and neighbors turn against each other in a desperate struggle to survive. Criminals take advantage. Forstchen humanizes it by giving a detailed look at how events unfold around Montreat College in North Carolina. He uses convincing detail to make the events real.

One Second After is a masterpiece of distopian literature that ranks with 1984 and Brave New World. More important though than its role in our literature is what we do about the grave threat it portrays. Because, one second after the attack, it'll be too late.

The Bottom Line
One Second After is a riveting and chilling tale of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack on the United States. It is a thrilling page turner, but is also so much more. The danger it illustrates is so great and so real that leaders in our government are now reading this book. Let's hope they take it seriously. To make sure they do, read this book today and get the word out.

Everyone interested in Post-Apoc and Dystopian Lit shpuld read this, absolutely amazing, you won't put it down. Only book I've ever finished then immediately read again.
S7 Richie
S7 Richie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Richie

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zero Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 pm

I know I'm late to suggest this, but if you like fantasy novels that are REALLY Adult in their content, The Night Angel Trilogy is the best way to go. The first book is entitled "The way of Shadows" By Brent Weeks. The novel follows a young orphan living in the crime ridden slums of one of the world's most frequented murder capital. The child has to scrape by, stealing money wherever he can, to pay his fees for his "Guild" that he is stuck living in. Should he not pay his fees, he will be beaten, or killed. This child ends up meeting a world renowned assassin named Durzo Blint, and seeks to become his apprentice as a way out of the slums life.

The novels are simply amazing, as the author goes out of his way to show you that he will not protect his characters from harm, and nobody is given "Plot Armor" leaving everyone vulnerable to death, or permanent damage.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6122735-the-night-angel-trilogy

If you pick it up, you will not be disappointed.
S7 Zero
S7 Zero
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Sony: DKMU_OmniZero

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:56 pm

AtrumX wrote:While you're becoming a Linux DBA, might as well try this out:

String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John H. Schwarz
It starts out a little slow but once you get to the calabi-yau compactifications of the heterotic string it's really going to get your heart racing.

I see you and raise you:

The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Hyperspace - Michio Kaku
Dreams of a Final Theory - Steven Weinberg
Beyond Einstein - Michio Kaku
The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
The Hole in the Universe - K.C. Cole
The Holographic Universe - Michael Talbot
Three Roads to Quantum Gravity - Lee Smolin
Death By Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Those are when I like to nerd it up in physics. They're mostly all beginner level with minimal math so that the layperson can try to understand physics. Lots of them are about GUT/String/M-Theory/Quantum Gravity but some are about assorted other science and physics issues. Lastly, I have an inspirational book. I'm not usually into these but it had tons of great recommendations from various sources and so I picked it up and really enjoyed it:

The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:05 pm

I was joking but I really would recommend The Demon-Haunted World, especially if it's in audio book form.
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, I tend to read layman's physics books for fun so that's why I had so many of them to suggest and there's probably a box more in my basement that I just don't have bookshelf space for.
DeadSockPuppet
DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down