Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brink

+8
Air7Cav
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Epic
S7 wonky
S7 mrmiller
S7 DROOPY
S7 Interseptor
S7 OC
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brink Empty Brink

Post by S7 OC Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 am

I got an email today that mine has shipped from game fly I should have it by Wed.
Who else is getting this game?

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

Back to top Go down

Brink Empty Re: Brink

Post by S7 Interseptor Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 am

S7 OC wrote:I got an email today that mine has shipped from game fly I should have it by Wed.
Who else is getting this game?

GF is shipping mine today as well.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 am

Got mine preordered from amazon should get it wed
S7 DROOPY
S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Got my GameFly E-mail today saying it shipped too!

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 wonky Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 pm

i haven't gotten a email but ive had it as the first in my que for about a 2 weeks now
S7 wonky
S7 wonky
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue May 10, 2011 6:35 am

The reviews for it aren't amazing...

No lobby system =(
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Tue May 10, 2011 10:48 am

Just cruised through some reviews myself and unfortunately they seem pretty bad. I never read a full review before I play the game because I don't want to know the aspects of the story or be swayed in my own opinion but I do usually read the opening and closing comments to get an overall feel. Frankly I am a bit disappointed in what I was reading. I really wanted this to be good. Still gonna give it a shot and play through it. Hopefully I will enjoy it but I am glad I am getting it from GF. Sound like this is one I will be sending back. I'll post up my own thoughts after I get a chance to play in a few days. Should be fun for a week or so at least.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 Tue May 10, 2011 12:32 pm

i was going to buy the game this morning... until i watched some streams last night... and then read reviews....

if you have more people in a gun fight you win
headshots and frags don't 1 hit kill
much more spray & pray then i can stand

and no party system? REALLY?!?!?

it honestly looked like an unfinished... hurried to make some money game...
visually just look muddy and unimpressive
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Wiggles1778

http://www.twitch.tv/Wiggles78

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Tue May 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I cancelled my pre-order. Might get Dirt 3 instead.

Some demo's would be nice.....
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Air7Cav Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 am

Got the game Tues AM. Haven't read any of the reviews other than what I see on this forum so here are my comments after playing SP all day.

Character building system is the best I've seen in any of the first or third party shooters. HUGE array of choices for a multitude of details from facial archtypes, complexion, hair, tattoos, scars, clothing, face paint and body types. I spent more than 1/2 hour building my first character which was for the Resistance. More on this. And you open up more choices as you play and level up which probably makes Glock's number pretty close to accurate. In all, you can build up to 10 characters which you can choose between.

You begin the game by choosing which side you want to play on, either the Resistance or Security. Makes no difference what you pick because you can play both eventually. Each side has 8 missions - 6 regular missions and 2 "What If" missions. You score huge GPs at the end of the regular ones and again at the end of the "What Ifs". You also score GP during play for accomplishing various objectives, etc.

After you select which side and build your character for that side you can begin the missions either in sequence or by selecting whichever ones you want. You can play campaign solo or coop up to 8 players. [I want to play again coop because it looks like it will be even more fun, i.e. like RB6 or Flashpoint.] If you play solo, you get a full compliment of AI that is fairly intelligent and will fight to complete the mission regardless of what you do, e.g. they will accomplish the objective even if you are incapacitated and out of position. Yet, there are times when you miss the ability to coordinate which can make the difference in some missions, hence why I want to play coop.

The missions are objective based and very tough. The enemy AI is extremely smart and expert shots. In spite of what you have read, there are 1-shot kills with certain weapons. Can't specifically say which ones other than I remember vividly being killed that way many times. the closer you are the greater the probability of a 1-shot kill ... done that myself several times. Of course you have a health system so there is that variable as to how much health you have when all of this is taking place.

The weapons selection is pretty good and you have a large number of attachment variables to work with in building your weapons. Weapons unlock as you level up but attachments only unlock when you do the special challenge missions.

The "perks" (aka "abilities") are interesting and useful. You get to buy them as you level up to unlock them and earn credits. Each class (soldier, medic, engineer and operative) has its own set of perks unique to the class and then there are some universal ones. The class system is important because on certain classes can do certain things and the objectives are based on this concept.

Some missions are timed which adds to the tension. And some missions reset the clock as you achieve successive objectives while some don't. Overall, you find yourself often exhausted after a mission - win or lose. LOL

Haven't played MP but I like the campaign. Worth buying it just for that and the anticipation of exciting coop. If you like Crysis, you will like this one as it has much the same look and feel - climb moves, sliding, health regen ... It even has knife melee with a pistol equipped. ;-) Large maps that are very detailed and offer a lot of options in traversing the terrain based upon the way the movement system handles obstacles - so you always have to watch your flanks. Not the most polished game but it was/is fun.

My take on it. Razz
Air7Cav
Air7Cav
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Air7Cav

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 am

Air7Cav wrote:Got the game Tues AM. Haven't read any of the reviews other than what I see on this forum so here are my comments after playing SP all day.

Character building system is the best I've seen in any of the first or third party shooters. HUGE array of choices for a multitude of details from facial archtypes, complexion, hair, tattoos, scars, clothing, face paint and body types. I spent more than 1/2 hour building my first character which was for the Resistance. More on this. And you open up more choices as you play and level up which probably makes Glock's number pretty close to accurate. In all, you can build up to 10 characters which you can choose between.

You begin the game by choosing which side you want to play on, either the Resistance or Security. Makes no difference what you pick because you can play both eventually. Each side has 8 missions - 6 regular missions and 2 "What If" missions. You score huge GPs at the end of the regular ones and again at the end of the "What Ifs". You also score GP during play for accomplishing various objectives, etc.

After you select which side and build your character for that side you can begin the missions either in sequence or by selecting whichever ones you want. You can play campaign solo or coop up to 8 players. [I want to play again coop because it looks like it will be even more fun, i.e. like RB6 or Flashpoint.] If you play solo, you get a full compliment of AI that is fairly intelligent and will fight to complete the mission regardless of what you do, e.g. they will accomplish the objective even if you are incapacitated and out of position. Yet, there are times when you miss the ability to coordinate which can make the difference in some missions, hence why I want to play coop.

The missions are objective based and very tough. The enemy AI is extremely smart and expert shots. In spite of what you have read, there are 1-shot kills with certain weapons. Can't specifically say which ones other than I remember vividly being killed that way many times. the closer you are the greater the probability of a 1-shot kill ... done that myself several times. Of course you have a health system so there is that variable as to how much health you have when all of this is taking place.

The weapons selection is pretty good and you have a large number of attachment variables to work with in building your weapons. Weapons unlock as you level up but attachments only unlock when you do the special challenge missions.

The "perks" (aka "abilities") are interesting and useful. You get to buy them as you level up to unlock them and earn credits. Each class (soldier, medic, engineer and operative) has its own set of perks unique to the class and then there are some universal ones. The class system is important because on certain classes can do certain things and the objectives are based on this concept.

Some missions are timed which adds to the tension. And some missions reset the clock as you achieve successive objectives while some don't. Overall, you find yourself often exhausted after a mission - win or lose. LOL

Haven't played MP but I like the campaign. Worth buying it just for that and the anticipation of exciting coop. If you like Crysis, you will like this one as it has much the same look and feel - climb moves, sliding, health regen ... It even has knife melee with a pistol equipped. ;-) Large maps that are very detailed and offer a lot of options in traversing the terrain based upon the way the movement system handles obstacles - so you always have to watch your flanks. Not the most polished game but it was/is fun.

My take on it. Razz

Nice write-up Cav! Will have to check it out.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the review Cav. Definately looking forward to playing it co-op. I pretty much love anything co-op, even the crappy games. And I am sure the MP will be fun for a while too. Despite the reviews I am still excited to play it.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

Think I'll pass on this one just as I did with Crysis and Homefront. I could be wrong, and it could be really good...but I'll take my chances of missing out as opposed to being very unhappy after spending $60 on something. I never rent fromm GF etc. and always buy therefore it's imperitive that I choose wisely and not purchase EVERYTHING that comes down the pike.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by Air7Cav Wed May 11, 2011 11:10 am

LOL Like MLB? LOL You purchase sport games and I like FPS. Razz
Air7Cav
Air7Cav
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 am

Again, I tend to choose wisely...

I've loved baseball from the time I was five years old. Played at every possible level except majors, am involved in numerous fantasy leagues, watch MLB.tv daily (multiple games), know individual player stats like I know my social security number-- so yeah I knew I'd like MLB without much thought. I like baseball video games and couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

Now, I love FPS games like Brink but does that automatically correlate to liking Brink itself ??...not really. There is still the potential for unhappiness and developer failure (i.e. crappy visuals and a lackluster lobby system). Therefore, I choose not to get this one.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 11, 2011 5:06 pm

" The code is a mess--The copy of the game that went out to reviewers came on a disc, in retail packaging. We were sent the same code that you will buy in the store, but it became obvious that the game wasn't finished. Textures were ugly messes and texture pop-in was a common problem. The visual fidelity of the game world fluctuated madly while playing. Sometimes I had a glimpse of what Splash Damage was aiming for with the game's aesthetics, but more often the technical issues led to a frustratingly uneven experience.

The netcode was even worse. I don't play with the developers when reviewing an online game—I've explained my distaste for those sessions elsewhere—but I'm friends with a number of other reviewers who had access to the game. When we tried to get a co-op game together, the game collapsed in on itself. The framerate was halved, and the gameplay often stuttered. It was completely unplayable, and this was the result of adding two other players. I can't imagine what a full server would feel like. The game would also kick players off the server seemingly at random. It was a frustrating, unfinished mess, and I gave up trying to get an accurate picture of the online portion of the game after an hour or so.

Rolling Eyes Don't buy the game... yet --My advice right now is to stay away from the game. The version of the game I played is a mess, and not worth your money. Keep an eye on the forums, check to see if reviews are updated as the game is patched, and then make a decision."

Ars Technica Review:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/why-were-not-review-brink-and-why-you-shouldnt-buy-it-yet.ars

S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Think i'll just wait for Brink 2. I imagine this one'll sell enough to warrant a sequel.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 11, 2011 5:13 pm

That's called an honest review... this is why I love Ars Technica!!

Journalistic integrity, none of this BS about how great a game is just because you or your company is getting paid.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Air7Cav Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Like movie reviews from critics - I like what I like no matter what they say. Razz
Air7Cav
Air7Cav
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/brink-for-pc-runs-great-plays-well-online-is-a-ton-of-fun.ars

Review of PC version. Also didn't that article say there was supposed to be a day 1 patch to the 360 version?
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Yes, there is supposed to be a day 1 update on the 360 that addressed most of these issues. How well? I'll let you know as soon as I get to play it. And like Coolhand, I like what I like. That is why I don't read full reviews. I don't want a jaded outlook in my mind before I play.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Wed May 11, 2011 5:50 pm

very, very true! A critics are just a guy with an opinion. I've known many of them to be wrong and this one could be as well.

But I just threw it out there. It's not a secret this one has some issues. I'm not paying $60 to find out he's right in this case.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum Wed May 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah they said none of the issues from the xbox version were in the PC version. Sounded like they were hoping the patch would just fix the xbox version completely. So maybe no worries!
Atrum
Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 pm

It updated as I put the disc in, so I guess the patch is real. I only played about 10 min, so no opinion yet...

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Air7Cav Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 am

There is a patch which will update as you first put the disk in.

Update on my experience:

Played MP ... lags badly. That is too bad because it would have been awesome. Thought it was the host but it happened every game no matter which side I played.

Finished both sides in SP. Turns out that it is easier to some extent if you play SP as the Resistance first and then play Security which is harder. Regardless, if you like objective based play then you will like both. No lag issues in SP nor did I see any glitches in the map.

Interesting thing I found out, you can play SP with your lobby open to anyone and you will in fact play coop/MP with the public. This is interesting and fun as well as you can complete any uncompleted missions this way. There is a little lag every now and again much like big battle in the COD games but it works it way through. So if you pick any mission to play in SP with your lobby open, then you are in fact playing large coop or conceptually MP as both sides are real players. It's fun as you get to see everyone's characters and some of the weapon attachments that others have won.

Haven't played straight coop yet because no one else seems to have the game.

BLUF - great objective SP game with laggy MP and a unique public coop feature hidden in SP. So the patch didn't fix the MP issues.

If you like campaigns, get it. If you prefer MP or it is a must have, then don't unless you can live with the back door method.

That's all from me. I'm going to keep playing it.
Air7Cav
Air7Cav
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next