Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shift 2-The Need for Speed

+5
S7 Epic
S7 Interseptor
S7 Coolhand
S7 Glock
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shift 2-The Need for Speed Empty Shift 2-The Need for Speed

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 am

Having just bought this game and play it, one word, Awesome!

I give it a 10 out of 10, on par with Forza and in many ways better! I still like Forza though. The game gives you a sense of speed that Forza doesn't as if you are in a real race car. The new helmet came inside the cockpit is awesome and challenging to race that way. The physics of the game are better than Forza's. The cars act and re-act realistically, the best I've experienced yet. The cars will scrape walls and bottom out if you catch too much air banging the undercarriage. The crashes are spectacular, on one race I took a corner too fast slamming into the wall causing my wheel and parts to fly all over the place. My hood had nothing to latch onto because of the damage so once I got going again it flapped up and down then took flight because of the rise in speed. The Graphics are top notch! The races are challenging, the cars can be tuned and modified to your hearts content just like forza. It doesn't have that drag racing like previous versions, it's strictly a racing simulator that was created with the help of real race car drivers to capture the feel and excitement of real racing from their perspective. This is a true contender vs Forza...that being said, if you guys have Forza then you'll love this one because of it's similarities but with better presentation! You earn xp and unlocks plus money to buy upgrades and new cars. The handling of the the cars are true to their counterparts very well done. There is also night driving, drifting, you can buy and sell cars via online. Klown you'll love this one. I like this on better than Forza but am not putting down forza in any way because it's definitely one I'll play in addition to this one. Plus you can share photo's and video too. Guys buy this one you will not be disappointed.

Photo's of my car and races with some video from the devs

Ouch
Shift 2-The Need for Speed Shift2pic_32173

Move!
Shift 2-The Need for Speed Shift2pic_32175

Up, up and away!
Shift 2-The Need for Speed Shift2pic_32176

Originally I posted more than one video but for some reason it showed the same one over and over...the first one after playing has other video's you can play in addition to it, check them out!

S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : R0LLING THUND3R

Back to top Go down

Shift 2-The Need for Speed Empty Re: Shift 2-The Need for Speed

Post by S7 Glock Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

I definitely wanna check this game out.... Not sure if I will like it as much as Forza since Shift 1 sucked
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Cool videos, looks comparable to Forza - I'll definitely consider it but it will be a choice between Forza 4 and Shift 2 - I don't want to buy two games that are very similar. Probably will depend mostly on which one everyone else gets.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Shift 2 will come and go. It will be a lot of fun for those invloved but it will pass rather quickly.

Forza 4 will go on for probably about 2 years (or until Forza 5). Not hatein' just sayin.

Same will probably be true about Dirt 3, but it might have longer legs due to the fact it is a different genre. Shift will compete with Forza and I for one will not be getting Shift. I will be getting Dirt 3 however.

Just my 2 cents
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm

S7 Glock wrote:I definitely wanna check this game out.... Not sure if I will like it as much as Forza since Shift 1 sucked

I agree Glock, but this is a redo from the ground up, it's awesome and totally different from the last. Coolhand just get them both, they have their own offerings and are a pleasure to play. This one is Forza's only true competition...the game play is intense. I'm going to upload one of my races asap...I was fighting back and forth for 1st and got it at the end. Online play is sick! I have Forza and this and like both...the sense of speed in Shift 2 is sweet...the controls are good, pushing your machines to the edge of out of control! It's Intense!
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Shift 2 will come and go. It will be a lot of fun for those invloved but it will pass rather quickly.

Forza 4 will go on for probably about 2 years (or until Forza 5). Not hatein' just sayin.

Same will probably be true about Dirt 3, but it might have longer legs due to the fact it is a different genre. Shift will compete with Forza and I for one will not be getting Shift. I will be getting Dirt 3 however.

Just my 2 cents

Actually it will not come and go...it is as deep as Forza, with some bells and whistle's. I know you base that on previous versions of NFS but this one is totally different, give it a shot, you'll be surprised and not disappointed.
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm

As deep as Forza 3, not 4...

Played it at a friends, wasn't too fussed. It's not a patch on F1 2010....but hey, who wants to drive the most advanced cars in the world around 19 of the best tracks in the world...?

They really need to drop the NFS title and turn it into a proper racer, it's still to arcadey for me. Not so much the handling, but just the overall game.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:55 pm

It's not arcadee to me at all! One thing I've learned about any game you have to immerse your self completely into it to properly evaluate it. A quick touch and go never does it justice. All I'm saying it's a great addition to your library, worth buying! The ratings on this game is 9/10 for a reason!
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:47 am

We played for 3/4 hours...

The career was poor and a not that engaging (a la GT5). Sure, there was progression but it didn't really feel too much like career should.

Handling at time was a little light and arcade-y, definitely not on a par with GT5 or Forza.

The AI was pretty bad too and not as hard as it was in the last Shift.

I loved the helmet cam though, I thought it was a pretty clever new feature and without it, the game would just be average.

Regarding the score....

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/shift-2-unleashed

83/100 from critics, 7.1 from users. Personally, my rating would be between the two. Probably about 7.9/10, it's just not progressed enough since Shift 1 for it to warrant an 8.

It is fun but it's a rental at best for me, especially with DiRT 3, F1 2011 and Forza 4 all out this year.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 am

Dear Shift,

GTFO...

Love,
Forza 4
S7 Wiggles1778
S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Wiggles1778

http://www.twitch.tv/Wiggles78

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am

Please...I put in forza to see if I was tripping and I wasn't. It's just not you cup of tea! Pun intended lol. This has more of a realistic feel to me, the way the cars handle vs forza. Collision damage and reaction better than forza. Forza cars just bounce of walls with cosmetic damage. In this parts fly and the car rolls violently while your windshield just shatters damaging top, side and bottom of your cars. The tracks are very well done as in forza, night driving, endurance, power sliding, old cars, new cars, plenty of makes and models, race tuning and upgrades. When you race crap hits you windshield and obstructs your view. This was made with real race car driver input to capture the real experience of it and being someone who played these type of game since the first Grand Turismo this is very well done and deserving of the 9 out of 10 it received.

You Brits been driving on the wrong side of the street from the "get go" sheesh! Lol jk
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:48 am

Well during that quick "blip" of footage I saw the Big body 302 BOSS mustang handling kids...LOL cheers For that alone I may pick this up.
S7 K1ll3rKlown
S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:30 am

dirt3 and then forza 4 for me

but the pics and videos of shift look good just right now i am being aa b1tch with my money
S7 Sticky
S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 am

Same here. I have spent way too much on games lately. I am definitely getting Forza 4, period. No question there. That basically leaves Dirt 3 and Shift 2 in competition for my money and I am picking Dirt 3. Rally racing FTW!!! Same damage and feel of speed you were talking about with Shift 2 but off road. Rally has always been my favorite racing style ever since I was a kid.

I really have nothing against Shift 2. I'm just not getting it and don't see enough people playing it to keep it going for any long period of time.
S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm

S7 R0LLING THUND3R wrote:Please...I put in forza to see if I was tripping and I wasn't. It's just not you cup of tea! Pun intended lol. This has more of a realistic feel to me, the way the cars handle vs forza. Collision damage and reaction better than forza. Forza cars just bounce of walls with cosmetic damage. In this parts fly and the car rolls violently while your windshield just shatters damaging top, side and bottom of your cars. The tracks are very well done as in forza, night driving, endurance, power sliding, old cars, new cars, plenty of makes and models, race tuning and upgrades. When you race crap hits you windshield and obstructs your view. This was made with real race car driver input to capture the real experience of it and being someone who played these type of game since the first Grand Turismo this is very well done and deserving of the 9 out of 10 it received.

You Brits been driving on the wrong side of the street from the "get go" sheesh! Lol jk

Thats all it is though, aesthetic stuff. Yeah, the damage looks better than Forza but it has done that since the first Shift.

It has about 100 cars, 4 times less than Forza, 10 times less than GT5.

The tracks do all look really nice, despite a few of the real world tracks not quite being all that accurate.

All racing games have 'driver input' these days...but then the devs end up comprising for the sake of gameplay and complexity. The closest you'll find to sim on the 360 atm is F1 2010, which was developed with Anthony Davidson throughout (not just a few interviews and playtests a la Shift). He is the driver who works on the Mercedes F1 simulator A LOT and has raced all the tracks in the game, in real life. Shift 2 manages to capture the experience of racing in terms of the drivers POV but if you think that the handling in Shift 2 is realistic then you are out of your mind. I'm not even going to mention the lack of fuel consumption and tyre wear... Maybe you should try out iRacing (if not, rFactor) for the PC, that will lend a thousand times more weight to your argument than the fact you've played GT since release.

9/10, pah! I already posted the metacritic, anything else is pretty much null and void.

I've nothing against the game, but as a racer, I don't agree with your reviews of it, especially the comparisons to GT5 & Forza.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Wow- people are sensitive about their racing games. The new Burnout is going to own all of them anyhow, not to mention Twisted Metal!

~mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm cereal guys. Super Cereal!!! Dirt 3 is the best and nobody will believe me!!!

S7 Interseptor
S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:I'm cereal guys. Super Cereal!!! Dirt 3 is the best and nobody will believe me!!!

Now you know I feel, dirt ill look into, I don't discriminate when it comes to games I play. I like very well done games with differences that will give me something different to enjoy. I like Forza, I like shift, and if dirt is good ill like it too. I like variety and I'm just trying to say to the guys that haven't played this one its too good to pass up...rent it if you must. But don't act like you don't have the money because if it was a game you wanted you be digging in your couch for change to come up with the money. Sticky stop buying all that Kraken and maybe you'll not have to penny pinch, lol. I'm not offended guys!

Last edited by S7 R0LLING THUND3R on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 pm

I'll try and rent it late next week after the tournys. I enjoyed the NFS games but kinda got burnt out on that style and am really digging the sim racer type with Forza - before I buy Shift 2 I will be throwing down on a racing wheel - that should really enhance the experience for me more than any new game. Thanks for the review - I'll hit you up when I have it so we can send each other into curbs!
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:I'll try and rent it late next week after the tourneys. I enjoyed the NFS games but kinda got burnt out on that style and am really digging the sim racer type with Forza - before I buy Shift 2 I will be throwing down on a racing wheel - that should really enhance the experience for me more than any new game. Thanks for the review - I'll hit you up when I have it so we can send each other into curbs!

Cool! I want a racing wheel too, also this version is a Sim based one now! Oh yeah, on the subject of racing wheels for my racing enthusiasts, which is the best? And what do you have...what are your opinions! I want something that is sturdy and worth my money, I've checked out some things online, I'm not totally sold on Microsoft wireless one...the Porsche one from fanatec seems great but pricey. Well this is what I'm referring to... http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/index.php?osCsid=fa46ef825f0eb19c491eee320aad30d0
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 am

S7 R0LLING THUND3R wrote:
S7 Coolhand wrote:I'll try and rent it late next week after the tourneys. I enjoyed the NFS games but kinda got burnt out on that style and am really digging the sim racer type with Forza - before I buy Shift 2 I will be throwing down on a racing wheel - that should really enhance the experience for me more than any new game. Thanks for the review - I'll hit you up when I have it so we can send each other into curbs!

Cool! I want a racing wheel too, also this version is a Sim based one now! Oh yeah, on the subject of racing wheels for my racing enthusiasts, which is the best? And what do you have...what are your opinions! I want something that is sturdy and worth my money, I've checked out some things online, I'm not totally sold on Microsoft wireless one...the Porsche one from fanatec seems great but pricey. Well this is what I'm referring to... http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/index.php?osCsid=fa46ef825f0eb19c491eee320aad30d0

Yeah, the Fanatec GT2 is a great wheel. Even better if you buy the clubsport pedals for it.

BTW - I'm 99% sure that the MS wheel was discontinued a while back, theres only a sh1tty Madcatz one in the same price range AFAIK. In Europe at least. Though there's always ebay...

Go to 3:45 - https://youtu.be/S4PZAAHRA6s?hd=1 (won't let me embed for some reason...)

I really hope that the NeXtbox supports PC wheels.

S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 R0LLING THUND3R Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Yup...the 911 wheel is a win for me...249.00 ouch but I'll get it eventually with the pedals and maybe the shifters. I want something that's going to give me more precise control and I think this is it.
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
S7 R0LLING THUND3R
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I just went the cheap route with a madcat2. The wheel works fine and is helping my steering but i need to get better with the pedals. Illpost a pick later. I decided buying great headphones was more important to me.
S7 Coolhand
S7 Coolhand

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

The MS 360 wheel is nice... built very solid and very customizable
S7 Glock
S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 am

Yeah, I love my 360 wheel. For the price, its awesome. Pedals could be a little better though.
S7 Epic
S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next